The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Tim Donaghy interview

Howdy.

Thought you might find this interesting. Tim Donaghy was interviewed on the Dan Patrick Show today. Among his comments:

"Donaghy said that the way the playoff series have played out confirm his theory on how officials extend series by giving the trailing teams an edge. Donaghy said they're trained that way because it helps the league financially."

Here's the link to the show: Dan Patrick.com

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 04:10pm
Administrator

Many posters on both this Forum and the NFHS Basketball Forum know my background and know my passion for the basketball officiating profession. Tim Donaghy had the best and greatest job in basketball officiating and he pi$$ed on every man and woman who has ever officiated a basketball game at any level, so why in the wide world of basketball offficiating in particular and sports officiating in general would I giving a flying f*** about anything that an a$$hole like Tim Donaghy has to say.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 04:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Hold Back, It'll Give You An Ulcer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
He pi$$ed on every man and woman who has ever officiated a basketball game at any level, so why in the wide world of basketball officiating in particular and sports officiating in general would I giving a flying f*** about anything that an a$$hole like Tim Donaghy has to say.
Oh c'mon Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Don't pussy foot around the issue. Please tell us what you really think.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Many posters on both this Forum and the NFHS Basketball Forum know my background and know my passion for the basketball officiating profession. Tim Donaghy had the best and greatest job in basketball officiating and he pi$$ed on every man and woman who has ever officiated a basketball game at any level, so why in the wide world of basketball offficiating in particular and sports officiating in general would I giving a flying f*** about anything that an a$$hole like Tim Donaghy has to say.

MTD, Sr.
Can you say Jose Canseco? Dumped on his colleagues, has an axe to grind. Lots of similar claims.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 06:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Can you say Jose Canseco? Dumped on his colleagues, has an axe to grind. Lots of similar claims.
Canseco was right.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 06:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Canseco was right.
Once you get by the fact that he is a douchebag, unfortunately you are right. In that particular case, you can't kill the messenger.

A similar scenario is going on right now with Floyd Landis and Lance Armstrong.
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 08:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Canseco was right.
Canseco was right about some things.

Peace
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

The fact anyone is giving this lying cheating SOB the time of day is sad enough -- but if you want some actual analysis of the "facts" he is claiming, there was a great piece done last year on ESPN calling a spade a spade:

Tim Donaghy's claims on trial - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboys View Post
"Donaghy said that the way the playoff series have played out confirm his theory on how officials extend series by giving the trailing teams an edge.
This is obviously true. Just look at how this year's playoff series have played out. The officials obviously gave Chicago the edge in the first round because they took the Cavs to -- 5 games. Ok, so that's not a good example. But look at the Charlotte series. It's their first time ever in the playoffs, so obviously the officials helped them to extend the series to -- oh wait, they were swept.

Well, never mind the first round. In the second round, the refs were giving the edge to the Hawks, except that -- oh, they lost 4 straight. But in the other Eastern semi, the league OBVIOUSLY needed a Game 7 in Cleveland. I mean, ratings-city for a Celts/Cavs, Bron/KG Game 7, right? Um, no. Boston wrapped it up in Game 6.

But the Western Semis were really close matchups. The officials surely played a part in prolonging the Lakers/Jazz series, except that the Lakers swept. And that great Suns/Spurs rivalry series? Yeah, a sweep.

So, uh. . . what were we talking about?
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Good point Scrapper,

His so-called theory works out once in a while and we're supposed to buy it.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 10:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Picky, picky, picky.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
So, uh. . . what were we talking about?
At least the refs kept all the games close anyhow........well, except for the ones that were blowouts!
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I appreciated the fact that Dan Patrick "hard balled" him on the interview.

- Catherine Aird
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Tim Donaghy's voice carries some weight, whether we like it or not. That's why you should care.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
Tim Donaghy's voice carries some weight, whether we like it or not. That's why you should care.
Carries weight with whom (Or is that who? )?

And no, we should not care and we have the right to dismiss his point of view. For one he is a convicted felon that was not accused of extending series, he was accused of giving inside information on betting information and making money off that information. Sorry, he might have been in the league, but he is still a liar and I would take his response with a grain of salt. And I have a feeling that Dan Patrick did not really challenge his perspective on this. Considering that many of the series have been one sided this year and other years. The NBA Finals last year was basically a sweep too.

Peace
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Carries weight with whom (Or is that who? )?

And no, we should not care and we have the right to dismiss his point of view. For one he is a convicted felon that was not accused of extending series, he was accused of giving inside information on betting information and making money off that information. Sorry, he might have been in the league, but he is still a liar and I would take his response with a grain of salt. And I have a feeling that Dan Patrick did not really challenge his perspective on this. Considering that many of the series have been one sided this year and other years. The NBA Finals last year was basically a sweep too.

Peace
1) No one is questioning your "right to dismiss his point of view." I didn't write about, nor do I care about rights in this case. I care about shoulds.

2) "Carries weight with whom...?"

It carries weight with all of the conspiracy theorists out there who lap up any and every piece of information that would "confirm" their suspicions about how big-money sport works in this country. You and some others seem to be of the opinion that if you find an idea to be nonsensical, then it's completely meaningless and unworthy of your attention. But I don't think it's silly to pay attention when someone with a big microphone slanders me or a group with which I identify.