Didn't see a thread yet on this, so....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2975532

Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
Didn't see a thread yet on this, so....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2975532

Interesting that he isn't pleading guilty to actually fixing games in any way shape or form. Conspiracy to commit wire fraud? Must be for the way he took his payments and made bets or something. That one makes me curious. The other charge is for giving information out, not for fixing games. I wonder if we'll ever get answers to whether and how he may have affected point spreads or over/unders.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Three things:
1. These are FEDERAL charges, so the government's authority comes under the interstate commerce clause. Hence, you see charges such as wire fraud and transmitting across state lines.

2. The federal prosecutors charge people with what they can PROVE, not necessarily with what they may also be guilty of doing. When they have something clear cut which is going to put someone away, their attitude is that is good enough. Think back to what they finally pinned on Al Capone--tax evasion.

3. This is a plea BARGAIN. So each side is making some concessions here. In return the government is getting a conviction without much work in court, and the individual (and the NBA) is saving some face by picking to exactly which charges he stipulates. Certain words may sound better or worse.
For example, "fixing games" has a very negative connotation, while "wire fraud" is rather mundane.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

I see in the news tonite here in NZ that he could get up to 25 years in jail; is it that serious a charge? cheers!
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 07:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Three things:
1. These are FEDERAL charges, so the government's authority comes under the interstate commerce clause. Hence, you see charges such as wire fraud and transmitting across state lines.

2. The federal prosecutors charge people with what they can PROVE, not necessarily with what they may also be guilty of doing. When they have something clear cut which is going to put someone away, their attitude is that is good enough. Think back to what they finally pinned on Al Capone--tax evasion.

3. This is a plea BARGAIN. So each side is making some concessions here. In return the government is getting a conviction without much work in court, and the individual (and the NBA) is saving some face by picking to exactly which charges he stipulates. Certain words may sound better or worse.
For example, "fixing games" has a very negative connotation, while "wire fraud" is rather mundane.
I agree with all three counts. My point, however, is that I don't know that the NBA is going to be able to get much closure out of this plea bargain. Neither of the actual charges is nearly as damaging to the NBA as the allegations that have come out in the press, so it seems there will not be any resolution of the questions that actually give the game a head ache.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:03am
Lighten up, Francis.

25 years for wire fraud. Meanwhile,

"(CNN) -- After spending a total of seven months in custody, the Tennessee woman who fatally shot her preacher husband in the back was released on Tuesday, her lawyer told CNN."

It doesn't have anything to do with this topic, but when I saw the two stories this morning, it seemed wrong to me.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:23am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

"(CNN) -- After spending a total of seven months in custody, the Tennessee woman who fatally shot her preacher husband in the back was released on Tuesday, her lawyer told CNN."

It doesn't have anything to do with this topic, but when I saw the two stories this morning, it seemed wrong to me.
Makes you wonder...
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 08:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Wait til she gets custody back.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

that TN story is RARE and an easy target for comparison with the TD story. Toss in Vick's potential plea bargin of less than 1 year of jail time and you've got 3 tough issues to rank.
FYI, TD could get up to 25 years; he won't get nearly that much time. Whether he should or shouldn't, IDK.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Welcome to justice, Canada-style. In a town 550 miles away, an elementary school principal told his mistress he wanted to be with his wife and only his wife. After several threatening e-mails, she stabbed him the groin and he died. She got two years.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Truly, would be surprised if he got more than six months. It is even possible that he will not have to serve any time in jail at all. Afterall, he is not a dangerous person and there is no threat to anyone else by his being out in society.
I expect a hefty fine, a long probation including counseling and medication, travel restrictions, and possibly a monitoring device along with either very little or no time in a federal lockup facility.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 01:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
I expect a hefty fine, a long probation including counseling and medication, travel restrictions, and possibly a monitoring device along with either very little or no time in a federal lockup facility.
I expect that if he doesn't go into witness protection, soon he'll be sleeping with the fishes.

Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 01:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd be comfortable with that.

edited to add: I'm, I was referring to Nevada's post, not Padgett's.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 01:53pm.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Truly, would be surprised if he got more than six months
Especially since he made his deal before his 2 buddies and is going to testify against them, if needed.That always lowers the sentencing guidelines.
Old Thu Aug 16, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
The worst punishment would be to have him ref Mark's TBA youth ball for five years. He'd have to deal with all those parents..