The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct, Dookie. If something is nonsensical to me, then it's completely meaningless and unworthy of my attention. I couldn't givea$hit what Donaghy says, which is why I didn't even click on the link provided.

Do you listen to every liberal or conservative nut job who calls into a radio talk show? Based on your post above, you have to.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 09:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
It carries weight with all of the conspiracy theorists out there who lap up any and every piece of information that would "confirm" their suspicions about how big-money sport works in this country. You and some others seem to be of the opinion that if you find an idea to be nonsensical, then it's completely meaningless and unworthy of your attention. But I don't think it's silly to pay attention when someone with a big microphone slanders me or a group with which I identify.
Let me put it this way. I do not believe what Tim D says because I know people that have worked in the NBA personally. There is a current NBA evaluator in our association and that same person is a Hall of Famer in an association which I happen to be President at this current time. Not to say that everything Tim says is wrong, but I consider the source. He was accused of betting on games by giving information to betters to help decide point spreads. He was never accused of fixing games or claiming to fix games. So what he is saying to make money and smear the people that caught him, I consider him not credible. And there is evidence that shows what he says is not true. If officials are doing what he suggests, they are doing a very bad job right now. Most of the playoffs have been blowouts or one-sided to the point where the media has talked about how long teams have to sit around and not playing basketball. If you choose to believe his crap that is OK. But I do not believe people that claim Obama was born in Kenya because they say it. There is evidence (good evidence) to the contrary. Believe what you want, but do not tell us that we have to go along with this crap because you do.

Peace
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 10:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Many posters on both this Forum and the NFHS Basketball Forum know my background and know my passion for the basketball officiating profession. Tim Donaghy had the best and greatest job in basketball officiating and he pi$$ed on every man and woman who has ever officiated a basketball game at any level, so why in the wide world of basketball offficiating in particular and sports officiating in general would I giving a flying f*** about anything that an a$$hole like Tim Donaghy has to say.

MTD, Sr.
this is my first trip into this thread, but all I can really say at this point, Mark, is

+1
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 10:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
2) "Carries weight with whom...?"

It carries weight with all of the conspiracy theorists out there who lap up any and every piece of information that would "confirm" their suspicions about how big-money sport works in this country. You and some others seem to be of the opinion that if you find an idea to be nonsensical, then it's completely meaningless and unworthy of your attention. But I don't think it's silly to pay attention when someone with a big microphone slanders me or a group with which I identify.
The problem is, Donaghy deserves no credibility yet he's being given a microphone that he doesn't deserve.

Critics with no credibility are best ignored.

Canseco had more credibility from the start than this a$$hat will ever have.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Let me put it this way. I do not believe what Tim D says because I know people that have worked in the NBA personally. There is a current NBA evaluator in our association and that same person is a Hall of Famer in an association which I happen to be President at this current time. Not to say that everything Tim says is wrong, but I consider the source. He was accused of betting on games by giving information to betters to help decide point spreads. He was never accused of fixing games or claiming to fix games. So what he is saying to make money and smear the people that caught him, I consider him not credible. And there is evidence that shows what he says is not true. If officials are doing what he suggests, they are doing a very bad job right now. Most of the playoffs have been blowouts or one-sided to the point where the media has talked about how long teams have to sit around and not playing basketball. If you choose to believe his crap that is OK. But I do not believe people that claim Obama was born in Kenya because they say it. There is evidence (good evidence) to the contrary. Believe what you want, but do not tell us that we have to go along with this crap because you do.

Peace
I think the claim was that he was born in Singapor, or maybe Malaysia. I don't recall, though, because I don't believe that any more than I believe Sarah Palin's youngest son is actually her grandson.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
You are correct, Dookie. If something is nonsensical to me, then it's completely meaningless and unworthy of my attention. I couldn't givea$hit what Donaghy says, which is why I didn't even click on the link provided.

Do you listen to every liberal or conservative nut job who calls into a radio talk show? Based on your post above, you have to.
Wow. Recognizing differences across situations really isn't your strong suit, is it, Hole?

If you can't see the difference between the influence of a former NBA referee who has published a book and has easy access to print media and radio, and that of some random wingnut caller to AM political radio whom no one ever recognized as an authority, then I'm pretty much outta bullets. But since I'm the one claiming to care, I guess I can't give up quite yet.

If you don't want to care, that's fine. And if you don't want to believe that Donaghy's words could have downstream impacts on you, that's your prerogative, too, and we can probably just agree to disagree (amiably).

There are very definite holes in Donaghy's arguments, several of which have been pointed out quite nicely in this thread. Presumably, not everyone is going to see every last one of the flaws, so discussing them with a group of people who have special insight seems like a worthwhile enterprise.

There are those in the non-officiating community who are going to buy everything Donaghy says whole-hog. Obviously there's no changing those minds. But there are also many out there who are truly undecided as to what they think about his stories. Those are the people we have the power to persuade. And we can do that more easily if we're armed with a thorough understanding of what Donaghy and his adherents are saying.

Maybe the whole thing's just not that big a deal to you. And if that's the case, godspeed on your mission not to give a $hit. But it happens to be important to me and, I suspect, many other officials. And sticking our heads in the sand while this guy is spewing garbage, impugning the integrity of officials everywhere, is not going to make his ideas disappear.

History is littered with stories of good people who suffered because they thought that the ridiculous ideas of others weren't worthy of attention. This situation isn't significant in the grand scheme of history, but the lesson is still relevant.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I'm not saying he is right, and I am not saying he is wrong. I see a lot of similarities to Jose however. Canseco was derided in his claims b/c he was: broke, had an axe to grind, in debt, bitter about not being in MLB, still looking for the limelight. Also, he had several run ins with the law. They both have written books and the people they have accused of wrongdoing have denied said wrongdoin We too had an NBA official in our association. He was great at giving back and a great guy with a big heart to help officials get better. I have heard TD mention his name from time to time, so I have an emotional stake in hoping that his claims are not true.
While as officials we are not supposed to cheer for one team or another, I am fervently hoping that TD's claims can be proven patently false. The only thing that concerns me, and I haven't really cared enough to look, is not a series being extended but what point spreads are and are not being covered. Those claims, IMO, have more potential to be dangerous.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:

But it happens to be important to me and, I suspect, many other officials. And sticking our heads in the sand while this guy is spewing garbage, impugning the integrity of officials everywhere, is not going to make his ideas disappear.
Yabut.....

Is Donaghy really impugning all officials or just the NBA officiating staff? And is Donaghy impugning the NBA officiating staff or is he impuging the direction that the NBA officiating staff is being given? Or is it a combination of both?

Does all of that really affect any of us? Or does it affect NBA officials only?

Note that I sureashell don't have the answer to any of those questions, and I'm not sure if anyone does.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Wow. Recognizing differences across situations really isn't your strong suit, is it, Hole?

If you can't see the difference between the influence of a former NBA referee who has published a book and has easy access to print media and radio, and that of some random wingnut caller to AM political radio whom no one ever recognized as an authority, then I'm pretty much outta bullets. But since I'm the one claiming to care, I guess I can't give up quite yet.

If you don't want to care, that's fine. And if you don't want to believe that Donaghy's words could have downstream impacts on you, that's your prerogative, too, and we can probably just agree to disagree (amiably).

There are very definite holes in Donaghy's arguments, several of which have been pointed out quite nicely in this thread. Presumably, not everyone is going to see every last one of the flaws, so discussing them with a group of people who have special insight seems like a worthwhile enterprise.

There are those in the non-officiating community who are going to buy everything Donaghy says whole-hog. Obviously there's no changing those minds. But there are also many out there who are truly undecided as to what they think about his stories. Those are the people we have the power to persuade. And we can do that more easily if we're armed with a thorough understanding of what Donaghy and his adherents are saying.

Maybe the whole thing's just not that big a deal to you. And if that's the case, godspeed on your mission not to give a $hit. But it happens to be important to me and, I suspect, many other officials. And sticking our heads in the sand while this guy is spewing garbage, impugning the integrity of officials everywhere, is not going to make his ideas disappear.

History is littered with stories of good people who suffered because they thought that the ridiculous ideas of others weren't worthy of attention. This situation isn't significant in the grand scheme of history, but the lesson is still relevant.
So because someone does not agree with you they are sticking their heads in the sand?

Also I do not care that much because I do not spend my time worrying about the NBA. What Donaghy says does not change my life one bit. Just like what Joe West does or does not do in MLB does no change what I do as a baseball umpire.

And we must keep in mind that Donaghy went from making a near $300,000 salary to a half a million dollar house to now having to sell a book to make any money. He probably would not even be allowed to work a high school game at this point for any money. I think he has incentive to talk about the NBA as he can flip this situation into speaking tours and other books so that he will become the so-called expert on NBA corruption. If you want to believe him, go right ahead. I guess you are sticking your head in the sand about the reality of what Donaghy claims he knows.

For the record, I went to an NCAA meeting where an FBI agent spoke about the Donaghy situation as he worked with someone of the people that had incite on the case the government had on Donaghy. The room was full of NCAA D1 Officials and they did not give a damn. They were bored by the topic and thought the issue went on too long. I guess they were wrong for their opinions because you say so.

Peace
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So because someone does not agree with you they are sticking their heads in the sand?

Also I do not care that much because I do not spend my time worrying about the NBA. What Donaghy says does not change my life one bit. Just like what Joe West does or does not do in MLB does no change what I do as a baseball umpire.

And we must keep in mind that Donaghy went from making a near $300,000 salary to a half a million dollar house to now having to sell a book to make any money. He probably would not even be allowed to work a high school game at this point for any money. I think he has incentive to talk about the NBA as he can flip this situation into speaking tours and other books so that he will become the so-called expert on NBA corruption. If you want to believe him, go right ahead. I guess you are sticking your head in the sand about the reality of what Donaghy claims he knows.

For the record, I went to an NCAA meeting where an FBI agent spoke about the Donaghy situation as he worked with someone of the people that had incite on the case the government had on Donaghy. The room was full of NCAA D1 Officials and they did not give a damn. They were bored by the topic and thought the issue went on too long. I guess they were wrong for their opinions because you say so.

Peace
I'm guessing that the irony in your post is completely unintended. Thanks for sharing that this has, in fact, affected you.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 12:09pm
Administrator

Wink

Being from Youngstown, Ohio, , I know how Donaghy, would have been handled by some of Youngstown's finer,, citizens and it would have included batting practice using Donaghy's knees, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 01:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Being from Youngstown, Ohio, , I know how Donaghy, would have been handled by some of Youngstown's finer,, citizens and it would have included batting practice using Donaghy's knees, .

MTD, Sr.
Do you recommend the same treatment for the fine, upstanding citizens that ran KU's ticket program?

Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk....
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Yes, but would that be only AFTER he failed to pay his gambling debts on time!!
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 01:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm guessing that the irony in your post is completely unintended. Thanks for sharing that this has, in fact, affected you.
How did it affect me? My career has not changed one bit because of this fool. You must not know what really affects people's lives.

Peace
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboys View Post
"Donaghy said that the way the playoff series have played out confirm his theory on how officials extend series by giving the trailing teams an edge. Donaghy said they're trained that way because it helps the league financially."
Uh, what? There were 4 sweeps that I can think of off the top of my head and another 5 game series. Maybe more I can't remember. And I guarantee the league would have wanted a game 7 in the Boston-Cleveland series. 4 sweeps is a lot. This almost DISPROVES the assertion, it surely doesn't support it.

West Houston Mike