The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Given that you're the only one who says this. What did you see?
Probably the same thing the officials on the game saw? I'm with you SNAQdaddy that the video and the angle make it tough to tell. That being the case a 'wise" OLD man once said that if you are not there you shouldn't criticize, that would be like eating your young!!!
In all seriousness, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the NO CALLS made in this situation. While everyone agrees that we had a flop and no rebounding foul, the case for traveling is being made with a lot of "seems" "appears" etc. While I would fall into that "appears" "from this angle" crowd, since I am not 100% I'll defer to the people there.
(Unless my earlier post about the location was correct then I stand by my original thoughts!)
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 10:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Probably the same thing the officials on the game saw? I'm with you SNAQdaddy that the video and the angle make it tough to tell. That being the case a 'wise" OLD man once said that if you are not there you shouldn't criticize, that would be like eating your young!!!
In all seriousness, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the NO CALLS made in this situation. While everyone agrees that we had a flop and no rebounding foul, the case for traveling is being made with a lot of "seems" "appears" etc. While I would fall into that "appears" "from this angle" crowd, since I am not 100% I'll defer to the people there.
(Unless my earlier post about the location was correct then I stand by my original thoughts!)
I was just curious that he simply said "no travel," as if he would have disagreed with the officials had they made a travel call. He may have just been offering a short version of, "I can't tell, so no travel."
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
1) Travel is to close to put a whistle on for me. If I'm gonna kill the game for a travel, its going to be clear and obvious. That one is just to close to clearly say, yep its a travel without the benefit of slow mo and all that crap. I'm not cracking a whistle on this one.

2) Flop

3) Rebounder had a height advantage and was able to reach over a shorter rebounder. Doesn't look like much to me from this angle, play on!
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

The player probably lifts his pivot before the release of the dribble, but if you run varsity/college games back in slow-motion, the same thing will occur an incredible amount of times, and not by just a whisker, without a call.

IMO, the desire to call it in this one stems from the long stride in the first step.
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
1) Travel is to close to put a whistle on for me. If I'm gonna kill the game for a travel, its going to be clear and obvious. That one is just to close to clearly say, yep its a travel without the benefit of slow mo and all that crap. I'm not cracking a whistle on this one.
I agree! I've been told that, if you have to rewind the play 3-5 times to see the travel its probably a GI. I dont call marginal travels...
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 10:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I agree! I've been told that, if you have to rewind the play 3-5 times to see the travel its probably a GI. I dont call marginal travels...
Let me just say, the video here is too grainy to really know whether the travel is marginal, obvious, or non-existent.

You're right, though:
If he might have, he didn't.
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me just say, the video here is too grainy to really know whether the travel is marginal, obvious, or non-existent.
True
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
There is only one way to definitively settle the matter. Have a poll!
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 01:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Well, aren't you just the populist today.
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Who should we get for this? Are we going to consider percieved bias? We would want them to "poll it both ways"? My first thought would to be use the Harris Poll. Since there is a tie in with both a coach (Del) and a player (Devin)
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Travel...

It is grainy but once he picks up the ball (or appears to) there is a step and then then two more because his "jump stop" has two distinct steps it has to be travel...

If this is a marginal travel call then I call way too many...
Old Fri May 21, 2010, 08:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

May have had a travel call, but definitely no whistle for anything else that happened on that play.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 11:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

"Let's have a little traveling music Sammy. And away we go" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Travel...because his "jump stop" has two distinct steps it has to be travel.
Agree. Still a tough call in a real time, real game situation. It took me several views of the video to spot the violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 11:33am
Administrator

I am getting in on the fun late, but here is my take.

1) Travel by W44: A previous poster said that it was too close call a travel and he is on the correct school of thought in not calling a travel. In fact, I do not even think it is close to traveling.

2) Charge by W44: My labeling of this section should give everybody an idea of my feelings about this play. (a) The Black defender (I will call him B1 because I cannot read his number) had obtained/NFHS a LGP. (b) Yes, the camera is not the best, but my concern is that the T started to close down when W44 started his drive and then stopped when he could have and should have closed down two more steps, that would have given him a good angle to see if W44 made illegal contact with B1 or if B1 flopped. (c) Based upon my vast experience and number of years of experience: I have a CHARGE! on W44.

3) The rebounding play I do not care about because I have always stopped play because of the charging fould by W44, .

MTD, Sr.

P.S.: That means there is a missing choice on Snaqs poll, .
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 11:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

"The Black Defender". Good Name For A Comic Book Superhero ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Charge by W44: The Black defender had obtained a LGP.
I can't question your assertion that the Black defender had legal guarding position, it's just that I'm not 100% sure why he fell down: charged into, tripped over his own feet as he was backpedaling, or flopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I do not even think it is close to traveling.
Check out the two steps after the jump stop. It's a tough call, whether in a real time situation, or even on the video, it can certainly be called either way, but, at the least, it's "close" to a travel.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)