The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

I have always used the full number. The main assignor in Central Ohio demands the full number. His reasoning is that player #1 and #2 is at a distinct disadvantage since a foul on 1-2 (i.e. 12) can be erroneously assigned to #1 and/or #2 in error.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

I have always used the two digits. The main assignor in Anywhere USA demands the two digits. His reasoning is that player #20 and #4 is at a distinct disadvantage since a foul on twenty four (i.e. 2-4) can be erroneously assigned to #20 and/or #4 in error.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I've been told both ways at different camps. I actually do both as odd as that sounds.

{Foul is on} "24, {Two fingers} 2, {Four fingers} 4, Contact, Two shots....."

Always worked well for me.

-Josh
Funny how various regions do things differently! Out here "Foul is on" and "contact" are frowned upon.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 09:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Funny how various regions do things differently! Out here "Foul is on" and "contact" are frowned upon.
+1

And, don't say, "I've got" either.....
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Plus it would be nice if he gave the color too.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I have always used the full number. The main assignor in Central Ohio demands the full number. His reasoning is that player #1 and #2 is at a distinct disadvantage since a foul on 1-2 (i.e. 12) can be erroneously assigned to #1 and/or #2 in error.
And using that same logic, when you report a foul on fourteen, there's a chance it could be assigned to four by mistake if the scorer doesn't hear your "teen". And, when you do report it, do you say "four" when holding up one finger, then "teen" when holding up 4 fingers?

I guess we could find all kinds of reasons why one method is better than another, especially since the mechanics book doesn't get that specific. The bottom line is effective communication with the table. That's why it's important to know how it's done in your area, so the scorekeeper doesn't have to adjust what they hear and look at between different games, or even between partners in the same game. That's the best way to avoid mistakes.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 09:32am
Esteemed Participant

[QUOTE=M&M Guy;676525

so the scorekeeper doesn't have to adjust what they hear and look at between different games, or even between partners in the same game. That's the best way to avoid mistakes.[/QUOTE]

Or even between the last foul you reported and the next one you report. I've seen people do it one way on one report, and then do it the other way the next time they report. That's the main thing we are trying to avoid. I could not care less whether you do it as "Two, four" or as "Twenty-four", as long as you are consistent in the way you report.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Entire number here in SE Michigan
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
That's why it's important to know how it's done in your area, so the scorekeeper doesn't have to adjust what they hear and look at between different games, or even between partners in the same game. That's the best way to avoid mistakes.
This would be something to discuss with the table personnel before the game starts. May seem trivial, but it could save a big mix-up later on.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 10:02am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
YUCK. You give the number to the scorer twice?
Please cease doing that immediately.
Nothing looks more like a rookie.
I disagree. I think there are far more rookiesque things than, "White, twenty-four! White, two, four!"

Besides, taking another second for the sake of clarity seldom hurt anyone, and could prevent the scorekeeper saying, "what number was that?"
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 10:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I used to be a "two-four" person. Now, it's "twenty-four." I used to verbalize the infraction, now I don't.

"Blue, twenty-four, two shots."
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 10:21am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I used to be a "two-four" person. Now, it's "twenty-four." I used to verbalize the infraction, now I don't.

"Blue, twenty-four, two shots."

Stupid question...I assume the infraction is still signaled?
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Somewhere in the book it states to report "the number". To me, the number is twenty-four. Confusion is reduced when an official moves briskly to the reporting area, stops, and verbalizes to the scorekeeeper , a made basket (if applicable), the color of the jersey, the number (displaying each number individually on one hand), type of foul and how many shots (if applicable). See official manual for reporting area.
And you college officials. DO NOT bring the 2-hand reporting down to the high school game.
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I forgot to ask. How would you report "twenty-four" in binary?
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 10:35am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I forgot to ask. How would you report "twenty-four" in binary?
You wouldn't. Your assignors would tell you to speed up the game. And if you were doing the JV game, the varsity officials would give you some 'advice'. [knowing you meant to type in blue]