The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 03:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Twenty four or two four?

No, this isn't about the old Chicago song, "25 or 6 to 4". It's about how we report numbers of players to the score table. I've always been told the proper way is to say the actual number, such as "twenty four", but ever since the NBA officials started using individual digits a while back (i.e.: two four), it seems most of the officials I work with use that method. One guy told me he does it because "it's cool".

Do your assignors direct you or does your association specify which method they want you to use? Do you just use one or the other for some other reason?

Maybe we should take a poll.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't heard any directives from our association or assignors, but I've been taught to give the entire number as you do.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 03:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Do your assignors direct you or does your association specify which method they want you to use? Do you just use one or the other for some other reason?
Since I began a few yrs back I was always a 2 - 4 person for lack of any direct guidance and I had no problems with it.

However, the other night, one of our evaluators/trainers said to use 24. I was kinda surprised by it as no one had ever differentiated before. But now I go with the flow (shocker). Easy adjustment.

As they say on the ole Forum, "When in Rome......
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

For me, it depends on the level. In HS, using NFHS mechanics, I verbalize the individual numerals, two-four, because I display them individually. Using NCAA-W mechanics, I verbalize the number, twenty-four, because I display the whole number at one time.

I know other areas might be different, but the most important aspect is to make sure your scorekeeper understands you. Do what's used in your area, so there's less confusion.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 04:45pm
Archaic Power Monger

The chapter I belong to trains us to say the whole number "twenty-four" instead of the individual digits.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 04:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The main reason I was given for using the entire number was that there is much less possibility of confusing the book guy (or hot mom). If you say the individual digits, there's the chance they might hear only the first one and give the foul to a kid with a single number. The real only chance that might happen if you use the entire number is when you report number 14 (assuming the teams are using only legal numbers). I guess if you use the entire number, there's still a (very) small chance they might only hear, for instance, "thirty" when you say "thirty one" and give the foul to number thirty, but that's a long shot.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

I was trained to verbalize the whole number. I started out verbalizing the indivual digits, but was told at 2 seperate camps to verbalize the whole number.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

I say twenty four because up here a two four means you've just asked for a flat of beer.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Connecticut ...

"Two Four". That's what we've been taught here in our little corner of Connecticut. Been that way for thirty years.

I like M&M Guy's reasoning: "I verbalize the individual numerals, two-four, because I display them individually".

Bottom line: When in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

I've been told both ways at different camps. I actually do both as odd as that sounds.

{Foul is on} "24, {Two fingers} 2, {Four fingers} 4, Contact, Two shots....."

Always worked well for me.

-Josh
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

I've always been a full number guy. Never had a problem doing that way and never had anyone say anything about it.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 06:56pm
Administrator

TWENTY-FOUR

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

In my limited time on the court, I've verbalized each individual digit as I display the number with my hand.

I've had a lot of partners who have done both while reporting, and I don't find anything wrong with it. As long as the table is clear on who is to be charged with the foul, it doesn't matter to me how ya do it.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I have a very difficult time with the "When In Rome" reasoning. It is bad enough that NCAA -W NFHS/NCAAA Men have different signals. It is hard enough remembering which way to report with out trying to 'figure' out how to report 24 as: XXIV or XX IV or II IV !?!?!?

Last edited by Judtech; Tue May 11, 2010 at 09:14pm.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I've been told both ways at different camps. I actually do both as odd as that sounds.

{Foul is on} "24, {Two fingers} 2, {Four fingers} 4, Contact, Two shots....."

Always worked well for me.

-Josh
YUCK. You give the number to the scorer twice?
Please cease doing that immediately.
Nothing looks more like a rookie.