The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Still Controversial...to the Defender

During March Madness, I actually saw a shooter at the three point line fake a defender into the air, way past vertical, and then take one DRIBBLE underneath the defender. Foul called on defender. Happens alot underneath the basket, too, with a good up-fake followed by a power dribble. "Draw" the foul. Good offensive play.

This Official apparently does not agree with some here who insist the defender has a 'right' to a spot on the floor to land. This defender crashed into the shooter only because the shooter dribbled under defender.

This discussion is still controversial in our Morning League...but only to the poor defenders who get caught flying out of vertical at a ball fake.

What if Kevin McHale stopped his up & under move before lifting his pivot foot, and defender crashed down on him? Foul on McHale? I don't think so...

Up and Under Move
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

who enters into whom's vertical plane? I think that should answer your question...
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I would say that the vertical plane of the offensive player can change during this play. He can dribble or he can pivot...all while the hapless defender is in the air.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 10:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're really using the calls made in favor of Kevin McHale as evidence for your claim?
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

OK, delete Kevin McHale ...
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcramer View Post
I would say that the vertical plane of the offensive player can change during this play. He can dribble or he can pivot...all while the hapless defender is in the air.
yeah, but if the defender truly IS completly cleanly vertical (I know, this rarely happens in this situation), we can't penalize the defender for merely jumping straight up in his own vertical plane. just my thoughts...
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

OP says defender is "way past vertical"

VBZebra - if you get a chance, read the thread I linked to the OP - this situation has been well discussed...

It's just that this play happened again this morning....and the defender was crying about it....as they usually do.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcramer View Post
OP says defender is "way past vertical"

VBZebra - if you get a chance, read the thread I linked to the OP - this situation has been well discussed...

It's just that this play happened again this morning....and the defender was crying about it....as they usually do.
will do, thanks! i hear ya on the last part too
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 01:14pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
yeah, but if the defender truly IS completly cleanly vertical (I know, this rarely happens in this situation), we can't penalize the defender for merely jumping straight up in his own vertical plane. just my thoughts...
+1

If the defender leaves his vertical plane, and comes crashing down on someone, it's on him.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you get this play right unless you referee the defense (as we should be doing). If the defender is moving horizontally into the offensive shooters space, defensive foul is the correct call. If the offensive player initiates the contact then you have a no-call or offense if the contact is severe. Be prepared to take a boatload of heat for getting this play right! Have faith that the film will validate your correct call.
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're really using the calls made in favor of Kevin McHale as evidence for your claim?
Yeah, that's like saying MJ was never called for.....(fill in the blank)
That is why I never tried to jump and block shots. That, and the fact I couldn't really jump all that high!! What happened to teaching good fundamentals??? But that would go on a coaching board