The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

New WIAA Regulation for next year

Looks like I have something else new to learn for next year. The WIAA Representative Assembly voted to use the running clock if the point differential is 40 or more, starting next year.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 09:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Looks like I have something else new to learn for next year. The WIAA Representative Assembly voted to use the running clock if the point differential is 40 or more, starting next year.
Better start studying now, you don't want to screw this one up.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 09:50am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question OK, Humor Me Here......

What's to learn? How often does this happen during a season?

Just curious.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 10:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Less to do with training, and more to do with the discipline not to stop the clock.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 10:48am
Back from the DL

CHS, does this vote make it rule in Washington, or is there one or two more steps that must occur before becoming a rule? Would this take place at all levels (high school, middle school, etc.)?
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 10:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

Just a thought. In most of the rec leagues I work, there's some aspect of running clock. Either the whole game is played that way (usually with stop clock at the end if it's close) or running clock if the point differential gets large. All but one use the rule that, coming out of a timeout or at the beginning of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarters, the clock starts when the ball becomes live. That means you chop it when you hand the ball to the inbounder (or FT shooter following a TO), not when it's subsequently touched on the court on the inbound play. The theory is that if there hadn't been a timeout, the clock would be running starting at that point, except for the FTs, but I guess it makes sense that way, too since the clock runs during FTs in a running clock game.

You may want to check to see if this is how it's going to work for you guys.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 12:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
CHS, does this vote make it rule in Washington, or is there one or two more steps that must occur before becoming a rule? Would this take place at all levels (high school, middle school, etc.)?
It was passed by more than 60% of the votes, thus making it an amendment to the State by-laws. Iow, it's a done deal. And it applies to both Middle School and High School levels.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 01:18pm
Back from the DL

Interesting, thanks.

So, during "running time," would there be no clock stoppages? Or would the clock stop in the last minute or so? Free throws? Subs? (I assume time outs, of course.)
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

I believe in these types of situations. The clock with continue to run unless there is a time-out granted or injury.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 02:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
I believe in these types of situations. The clock with continue to run unless there is a time-out granted or injury.
And I believe the way it is written stipulates that once you begin the running clock it continues for the rest of the game - even if the point differential drops below 40.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Interesting, thanks.

So, during "running time," would there be no clock stoppages? Or would the clock stop in the last minute or so? Free throws? Subs? (I assume time outs, of course.)
How I understand it the clock will only stop during time outs, free throw administrations, & between quarters.

Hopefully more information will be released concerning the regulation, so that everyone can know about it & get used to it.

Below is the amendment as it was being proposed

"52.7.0 NFHS Basketball Rule 5-5-3, utilizing a 40-point differential, will apply for all regular season & postseason contests. Beginning in the second
half, if the point differential is 40 points or more, the game clock shall run
continuously for the remainder of the game except for an official’s timeout,
a charged time-out, time between quarters, or the administration of
free throws.

Note: Current 52.7.0 would become 52.8.0

Rationale/Pros/Cons for HS Amendment #8:
1. Establishes a point differential rule in basketball in all classifications.
2. Current NFHS basketball rule 5-section 6-article 3 note allows state associations, by adoption, to modify score clock rules when agreed upon point differentials exist.
3. It is difficult to control team efforts when a contest is no longer competitive. Asking reserves not to give their best effort increases the chance of injury and is humiliating for both teams.
4. Often teams suit up only ten players, which make modifying play more difficult. In addition, many programs play their reserves for two or three quarters in junior varsity games, limiting the possible substitutions that can take place.
5. Non-competitive games compromise the spirit of the game, making it difficult to maintain good sportsmanship by both teams.
6. Preference is to speed up the game clock, rather than to terminate the game."
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 08:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wish they'd think these things through more when they implement them. What isn't spelled out (and never is) is when the clock resumes following a timeout or free throw. Is it done as normal, or as soon as the ball becomes live?
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
What's to learn? How often does this happen during a season?

Just curious.
Since I've done scoreboard/timer operations, I've only seen a large point differential only once or twice.

It is, to me, very rare to see this large of a point differential..

Really there's not much to learn except for when the clock needs to be stopped &/or started.
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wish they'd think these things through more when they implement them. What isn't spelled out (and never is) is when the clock resumes following a timeout or free throw. Is it done as normal, or as soon as the ball becomes live?
As I am reading & understanding it, the clock starts as normal (when chopped in/ball becomes live inbounds).
Old Mon May 03, 2010, 08:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As I am reading & understanding it, the clock starts as normal (when chopped in/ball becomes live inbounds).
Based on what?