The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigRygg Send a message via AIM to BigRygg Send a message via Yahoo to BigRygg
WIAA Official wannabe

I am brand new to the forums, having stumbled across them via a Google.com search.

I want to get into officiating High School games in Wisconsin. This is mainly due to the fact that I'm on a chain crew this year, and I've always wanted to get into officiating anyway. Seeing that I have the time to work games at all, I realize that I could be officiating instead of moving the sticks.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get my hands on a copy of the official rulebook prior to registering so that I can begin to learn what I need to before registering. Basically, while I have a good knowledge of football and most of the rules (at least basic ones, I know there is probably more that I don't know than I do) I want to make sure that I'm not getting in over my head before paying whatever costs are associated with officiating and then having it not be worth the money.

So, can anybody give me a suggestion as to where/how to pick up a copy?

[Edited by bigrygg on Sep 12th, 2005 at 06:24 PM]
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.nfhs.com

You'll quickly learn that the level of officiaitng is not nearly as "poor" as you previously thought and that it's not nearly as easy as it looks. You'll also learn that there's a tremendous amount that you don't know about the game, the rules, and how to administer both.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigRygg Send a message via AIM to BigRygg Send a message via Yahoo to BigRygg
I absolutely understand that.

Again, I defintiely didn't want to sound as though I was being disrespectful. I was just trying to be honest as to my thought process.

Like I mentioned, I know that there is far more that I don't know as opposed to what I do.

I know I won't hardly be perfect or near perfect for years if I do undertake this obviously big undertaking, but I hope to do everything I can to get as good as I can as an official.

I figured I was going to come off in my post as a jerk. I'm truly sorry about that. It honestly wasn't my intention.

I'll edit my main post to remove the language.

Thanks for helping with the link anyway.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Your state association office may also sell the books. If you live near the State Association office, you might call them to see if they have any book available.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Check with your local youth league. Chances are, they could probably get you in some games this fall. This will be a great opportunity for you to get through some of the rules you may not know and be exposed to basic mechanics.

Also, take a look at my site. I've got a ton of great stuff from people across the US. A word though, do not confuse yourself by getting into NCAA rules or NFL stuff at this point in time. Learn NFHS stuff first, then go from there.

If you want suggestions on some other more specific things, email me and I can see if I can help you out more.

Welcome to the club!
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Rule book, case book and officials manual are going to cost you about $20 for all three. You might just as well submit your application to the WIAA. Will cost you $28. Download the app on the website http://www.wiaawi.org/
Get it signed by an AD and an official and head coach and sent it in. We are in short supply of football officials in my part of Wisconsin and you should have no problem getting some lower level games. Good Luck
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wisscott
Rule book, case book and officials manual are going to cost you about $20 for all three. You might just as well submit your application to the WIAA. Will cost you $28. Download the app on the website http://www.wiaawi.org/
Get it signed by an AD and an official and head coach and sent it in. We are in short supply of football officials in my part of Wisconsin and you should have no problem getting some lower level games. Good Luck
I agree completely with you Wisscott. The cost to join is minimal to get all 3 books. We are in short supply in WI. This is my third year, and loving every aspect of the profession. In total, to join WIAA you do need the signatures for the application. Equipment set me back <$150.00 (knickers, hats, whistles, etc.)

Also, contact a local offical's association, e.g., FCOA in Fox CIties, GBOA in Green Bay, There is one in Manitowoc also. They may be able to find a kindly vet to act as a mentor. The WIAA Webpage does list all the WI associations.

BTW,if you are in or near NEW, send me an email, I can try and help as much as possible.

Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

See some of the officials at your games for copies of old NFHS tests. You need to get your mind thinking along the lines of the way that those tests are written. Also, old tests are good clues as to what NFHS thinks is important for that year.