The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New WIAA Regulation for next year (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58021-new-wiaa-regulation-next-year.html)

chseagle Sun May 02, 2010 11:10pm

New WIAA Regulation for next year

Looks like I have something else new to learn for next year. The WIAA Representative Assembly voted to use the running clock if the point differential is 40 or more, starting next year.

Adam Mon May 03, 2010 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 675521)
Looks like I have something else new to learn for next year. The WIAA Representative Assembly voted to use the running clock if the point differential is 40 or more, starting next year.

Better start studying now, you don't want to screw this one up. ;)

grunewar Mon May 03, 2010 09:50am

OK, Humor Me Here......

What's to learn? How often does this happen during a season?

Just curious.

Raymond Mon May 03, 2010 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 675521)

Less to do with training, and more to do with the discipline not to stop the clock.

bainsey Mon May 03, 2010 10:48am

CHS, does this vote make it rule in Washington, or is there one or two more steps that must occur before becoming a rule? Would this take place at all levels (high school, middle school, etc.)?

Mark Padgett Mon May 03, 2010 10:53am

Just a thought. In most of the rec leagues I work, there's some aspect of running clock. Either the whole game is played that way (usually with stop clock at the end if it's close) or running clock if the point differential gets large. All but one use the rule that, coming out of a timeout or at the beginning of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarters, the clock starts when the ball becomes live. That means you chop it when you hand the ball to the inbounder (or FT shooter following a TO), not when it's subsequently touched on the court on the inbound play. The theory is that if there hadn't been a timeout, the clock would be running starting at that point, except for the FTs, but I guess it makes sense that way, too since the clock runs during FTs in a running clock game.

You may want to check to see if this is how it's going to work for you guys.

rockyroad Mon May 03, 2010 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 675574)
CHS, does this vote make it rule in Washington, or is there one or two more steps that must occur before becoming a rule? Would this take place at all levels (high school, middle school, etc.)?

It was passed by more than 60% of the votes, thus making it an amendment to the State by-laws. Iow, it's a done deal. And it applies to both Middle School and High School levels.

bainsey Mon May 03, 2010 01:18pm

Interesting, thanks.

So, during "running time," would there be no clock stoppages? Or would the clock stop in the last minute or so? Free throws? Subs? (I assume time outs, of course.)

truerookie Mon May 03, 2010 02:29pm

I believe in these types of situations. The clock with continue to run unless there is a time-out granted or injury.

rockyroad Mon May 03, 2010 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 675600)
I believe in these types of situations. The clock with continue to run unless there is a time-out granted or injury.

And I believe the way it is written stipulates that once you begin the running clock it continues for the rest of the game - even if the point differential drops below 40.

chseagle Mon May 03, 2010 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 675594)
Interesting, thanks.

So, during "running time," would there be no clock stoppages? Or would the clock stop in the last minute or so? Free throws? Subs? (I assume time outs, of course.)

How I understand it the clock will only stop during time outs, free throw administrations, & between quarters.

Hopefully more information will be released concerning the regulation, so that everyone can know about it & get used to it.

Below is the amendment as it was being proposed

"52.7.0 NFHS Basketball Rule 5-5-3, utilizing a 40-point differential, will apply for all regular season & postseason contests. Beginning in the second
half, if the point differential is 40 points or more, the game clock shall run
continuously for the remainder of the game except for an official’s timeout,
a charged time-out, time between quarters, or the administration of
free throws.

Note: Current 52.7.0 would become 52.8.0

Rationale/Pros/Cons for HS Amendment #8:
1. Establishes a point differential rule in basketball in all classifications.
2. Current NFHS basketball rule 5-section 6-article 3 note allows state associations, by adoption, to modify score clock rules when agreed upon point differentials exist.
3. It is difficult to control team efforts when a contest is no longer competitive. Asking reserves not to give their best effort increases the chance of injury and is humiliating for both teams.
4. Often teams suit up only ten players, which make modifying play more difficult. In addition, many programs play their reserves for two or three quarters in junior varsity games, limiting the possible substitutions that can take place.
5. Non-competitive games compromise the spirit of the game, making it difficult to maintain good sportsmanship by both teams.
6. Preference is to speed up the game clock, rather than to terminate the game."

Adam Mon May 03, 2010 08:18pm

I wish they'd think these things through more when they implement them. What isn't spelled out (and never is) is when the clock resumes following a timeout or free throw. Is it done as normal, or as soon as the ball becomes live?

chseagle Mon May 03, 2010 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 675569)
What's to learn? How often does this happen during a season?

Just curious.

Since I've done scoreboard/timer operations, I've only seen a large point differential only once or twice.

It is, to me, very rare to see this large of a point differential..

Really there's not much to learn except for when the clock needs to be stopped &/or started.

chseagle Mon May 03, 2010 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 675629)
I wish they'd think these things through more when they implement them. What isn't spelled out (and never is) is when the clock resumes following a timeout or free throw. Is it done as normal, or as soon as the ball becomes live?

As I am reading & understanding it, the clock starts as normal (when chopped in/ball becomes live inbounds).

Adam Mon May 03, 2010 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 675631)
As I am reading & understanding it, the clock starts as normal (when chopped in/ball becomes live inbounds).

Based on what?