The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Let me say that I do not agree with the fact that halftime buzzer shots are not reviewable with the TV monitor, but shots at the end of regulation or overtime periods are.
The logic for this is tenuous at best.
Hopefully, the 3 pointer by Purdue against Texas which was just a fraction of a second late will force a change of this rule.
Kudos to Purdue coach Gene Keady (sp?) for knowing the rule! I wish more coaches that I officiated for knew the rules.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Let me say that I do not agree with the fact that halftime buzzer shots are not reviewable with the TV monitor, but shots at the end of regulation or overtime periods are.
The logic for this is tenuous at best.
Hopefully, the 3 pointer by Purdue against Texas which was just a fraction of a second late will force a change of this rule.
Kudos to Purdue coach Gene Keady (sp?) for knowing the rule! I wish more coaches that I officiated for knew the rules.
The general theory is that a teams don't have a chance to "recover" from a wrong call at the end of the game.

During the game, they do. If we review calls at half-time, are we to review every call an official makes during the game?

Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

If you're going to review buzzer shots, you should review all buzzer shots including shot clock, halftime, and end of game. The rules for all of these shots are the same, and they should be enforced the same.

If the halftime buzzer beater is ruled good when it goes after the buzzer, it can change the end of the game. Why should teams be required to recover from a bad call at half time by taking a 3 quarter court heave at the end of the game?

My opinion, let the officials make the call. Forget the replay. It may cause a bad call to stand, but the precedent of only reviewing end-of-game calls is a bad one.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
If you're going to review buzzer shots, you should review all buzzer shots including shot clock, halftime, and end of game. The rules for all of these shots are the same, and they should be enforced the same.

There is a fundamental difference between halftime and end-of-game shots, and shot clock violations. There is an extended dead ball period directly after the halftime and end of game shots. There is an excellent opportunity to get the call right at halftime, simply by reviewing the film prior to going to the locker room. I have no problem with adding halftime shots to the current rule.

Blackhawk
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but extended dead ball time doesn't change the fact that a basket is allowed or negated based on a clock.

Suppose for instance that there are 36 seconds to play and Team A has the ball down by 1 point. They run the shot clock down to 1 and fire up the shot. Game clock winding toward zero, and will expire before shot goes in. Based on the above, we don't review if the shot beat the shot clock, but it will determine the game. If you review the game buzzer, you must review shot clock buzzers. If you review at the end of the game, why not during the game? My opinion, don't review ever, it opens an ugly precedent.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2003, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

I am for reviewing only the shots at the end of a period. This means quarters in NFHS or halfs in NCAA, plus overtimes for both. Of course, NFHS doesn't use this feature at all because generally the schools lack the costly equipment. NCAA D-I games do not have this problem.
Reviewing shot clock violations would be too time-consuming, too annoying, and just plain impractical.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
Sorry, but extended dead ball time doesn't change the fact that a basket is allowed or negated based on a clock.

Suppose for instance that there are 36 seconds to play and Team A has the ball down by 1 point. They run the shot clock down to 1 and fire up the shot. Game clock winding toward zero, and will expire before shot goes in. Based on the above, we don't review if the shot beat the shot clock, but it will determine the game. If you review the game buzzer, you must review shot clock buzzers. If you review at the end of the game, why not during the game? My opinion, don't review ever, it opens an ugly precedent.
You could disadvantage the opponent if you review a shot clock violation and end up allowing the basket. I may want to break on the make (and I can assure you that my team plans for this in this situation) and your review takes that opportunity away from me. Make the call (good or bad) and play on. End of half and end of game reviews would be best, IMO.