The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 06, 2010, 10:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It would have to be so obvious an illegal screen that Mr. Butler himself would have called it.

That's just reality for this particular situation.
To be called, it would also have to be an illegal screen that gave some kind of advantage to the screening team. This one didn't imo....legal or illegal. The player being screened wasn't really in a position to make a play on the dribbler and I also doubt very much in that situation that he wanted to get close enough to the dribbler to try anything anyway. The last thing in the world that he wants to do is take a chance on making contact from behind with a guy throwing up a 45-foot prayer.

Your point is well taken imo, Newz. Fwiw I agree that is the reality for that particular situation at that level.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
To be called, it would also have to be an illegal screen that gave some kind of advantage to the screening team. This one didn't imo....legal or illegal. The player being screened wasn't really in a position to make a play on the dribbler and I also doubt very much in that situation that he wanted to get close enough to the dribbler to try anything anyway. The last thing in the world that he wants to do is take a chance on making contact from behind with a guy throwing up a 45-foot prayer.

Your point is well taken imo, Newz. Fwiw I agree that is the reality for that particular situation at that level.
Hayward got out of the blocks better, but Singler's still a stride ahead (and to the side) of him when the contact occurs on the screen. Can't see how Singler could be considered to be out of the play.

Having said that, Mr. Butler here believes it was a good screen anyway.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 12:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I haven't bothered watching the clip. I trust JR's assessment of the play.

So, nope, I wouldn't have. Not a screen where so far we have some folks saying it was legal and a few Duke fans say it wasn't.

It would have to be so obvious an illegal screen that Mr. Butler himself would have called it.

That's just reality for this particular situation.
Saw the play a few times at lunch today. It was a legal screen IMO.