The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Concerning the idea of stopping the clock under a minute of play after a made basket, how many table crews really put all their attention into the game?

Also there is a bit of lag time between hearing a whistle/seeing the signal & the clock operator stopping the clock.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Concerning the idea of stopping the clock under a minute of play after a made basket, how many table crews really put all their attention into the game?
Just you, Champ.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Just you, Champ.
What I am meaning is that the home book & the clock operator are buddies & chatting about everything during the game, plus the game. As well having more than 4 people at the scorers' table can be distracting (3 people for those that don't have shot clock).

I admit there are times I do get sidetracked , but that's also because I periodically pay attention to my surroundings, especially if something is happening that shouldn't be.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I am meaning is that the home book & the clock operator are buddies & chatting about everything during the game, plus the game. As well having more than 4 people at the scorers' table can be distracting (3 people for those that don't have shot clock).

I admit there are times I do get sidetracked , but that's also because I periodically pay attention to my surroundings, especially if something is happening that shouldn't be.
Are you proposing having one person to do all 4 tasks, so that there is less distraction?

Or maybe we should separate the people at the table and have the shot clock operator sit in one corner and the home team's scorer in another so that they aren't tempted to be social?

Or maybe we can have them all sit in their own plexiglass cubes so that they can see the action and hear whistles, but not talk to each other?

Seriously, is it really that hard to pay attention to a game for 32 minutes, that, at most schools, you are getting paid for?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 10:27pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Seriously, is it really that hard to pay attention to a game for 32 minutes, that, at most schools, you are getting paid for?
I had an away game last year where the host scorer spent more time yelling at the referee than she did doing her job. Considering the lead official is usually a no-nonsense type of guy, I'm very surprised he didn't address that.

Of course that doesn't top the game a few weeks previous where the home scorer was editorializing every call he disagreed with. But yet when the home team was pressing with a 23 point lead (league rule: no press after 20 pt lead), he was amazingly silent.

I realize it's easy to get caught int he game action when it's a sibling or child in the game, but if you can do an effecitve job at the table, it's time to find another seat for the game. {/soapbox}

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Are you proposing having one person to do all 4 tasks, so that there is less distraction?

Or maybe we should separate the people at the table and have the shot clock operator sit in one corner and the home team's scorer in another so that they aren't tempted to be social?

Or maybe we can have them all sit in their own plexiglass cubes so that they can see the action and hear whistles, but not talk to each other?

What I'm meaning is that the personnel become such good friends/buddies that they want to chat to catch up on current affairs.

Last year I got into the habit of having the table setup as such: Center of table is the clock/scoreboard & the home/official book. The visitor's book next to the home/official book (even if that meant the visitor book being next to the home bench). The shot clock next to the clock/scoreboard.

During 4A Regionals, the books were next to their repective benches & there were a few times were discripencies happened, due to no communication between the books. (Table setup pre-set by tournament director).
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 06:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
What I'm meaning is that the personnel become such good friends/buddies that they want to chat to catch up on current affairs.
Some table personnel can also walk and chew gum at the same time.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Some table personnel can also walk and chew gum at the same time.
I thought it was "walk, chew gum, & talk on their cell phone at the same time"?
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 08:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The game might be better served if you minded your own business instead of everybody elses.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"walk, chew gum, monitor the locker room entrance, inspect the opposing team's uniforms, control the fans, insist on overly-strict adherance to minor administrative rules, question the officials and complain to the principal at the same time"

Look -- there's a fine line between "professionalism" and "slavish adherance to the strict letter of the rules." All too often, tables dont even approach the professionalism line, and I think it's great that you are doing so, especially at the C-level games. But, going overboard will not win you many friends and will make it less likely that your concerns are heard when they are valid.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 11:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

In my experience, in three different metro areas in two different states, table crews at the high school level are just fine and can handle this easily. I would also say that if they can do a shot clock, they can handle stopping the clock in the last minute.
There might be some C level crews that struggle, but so what?
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"walk, chew gum, monitor the locker room entrance, inspect the opposing team's uniforms, control the fans, insist on overly-strict adherance to minor administrative rules, question the officials and complain to the principal at the same time"

Look -- there's a fine line between "professionalism" and "slavish adherance to the strict letter of the rules." All too often, tables dont even approach the professionalism line, and I think it's great that you are doing so, especially at the C-level games. But, going overboard will not win you many friends and will make it less likely that your concerns are heard when they are valid.
Sorry, but I was raised in a Military household with strict adherence of rules/regulations. I was raised that there should be no relaxing when it came to adherence of rules/regulations & that no matter the circumstance(s) those rules/regulations are to be follwoed as they are written without any deviations.

Too many "Jerk-offs" look at those same rules/regulations as only suggestions/guidelines when they are written as such that they are supposed to be followed to the full extent written.

I have realized over the past couple of years that, especially at the C-Squad level, that some of the players are still in the learning stages so they are in a sense still in "Basic Training" so with appropriate guidance & discipline, learning can be achieved.

Concerning everything you listed, I have never done all those things at once. With the experiences I have had working in security/crowd control, it can be hard not to put full focus on the action on the court, if I see something in the stands that should not be happening. However I let personnel know of that occurance so that it can be rectified. Anymore with approaching school administration, I only approach with concerns/complaints if there is a genuine need for action to take place. Concerning the questioning of floor officials, I just ask questions about what I saw & ask for clarification on why it was called/not called.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In my experience, in three different metro areas in two different states, table crews at the high school level are just fine and can handle this easily. I would also say that if they can do a shot clock, they can handle stopping the clock in the last minute.
There might be some C level crews that struggle, but so what?
LMAO, that's also because majority of the time those working Sub-Varsity games are either still learning what needs to be done or just don't really have a full understanding of the rules/regualtions that all Varsity-level crews should have.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 03:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sorry, but I was raised in a Military household with strict adherence of rules/regulations. I was raised that there should be no relaxing when it came to adherence of rules/regulations & that no matter the circumstance(s) those rules/regulations are to be follwoed as they are written without any deviations.

Too many "Jerk-offs" look at those same rules/regulations as only suggestions/guidelines when they are written as such that they are supposed to be followed to the full extent written.

I have realized over the past couple of years that, especially at the C-Squad level, that some of the players are still in the learning stages so they are in a sense still in "Basic Training" so with appropriate guidance & discipline, learning can be achieved.

Concerning everything you listed, I have never done all those things at once. With the experiences I have had working in security/crowd control, it can be hard not to put full focus on the action on the court, if I see something in the stands that should not be happening. However I let personnel know of that occurance so that it can be rectified. Anymore with approaching school administration, I only approach with concerns/complaints if there is a genuine need for action to take place. Concerning the questioning of floor officials, I just ask questions about what I saw & ask for clarification on why it was called/not called.
Sorry, but you're sureashell an over-officious little prick, aren't ya.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Sorry, but you're sureashell an over-officious little prick, aren't ya.
Different people have different upbringings, or different standards. If a person can't adapt then that person needs to be institutionalized.