The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Question NCAA Rules that NFHS or State Associations should try out?

After going through this season with the Boys' Shot Clock, I got to thinking what NCAA rules should the NFHS or the State Associations use/try out?

One of the things I am on the fence about is the final minute stoppage of clock after made basket, what's everyone's thoughts on this?
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
After going through this season with the Boys' Shot Clock, I got to thinking what NCAA rules should the NFHS or the State Associations use/try out?

One of the things I am on the fence about is the final minute stoppage of clock after made basket, what's everyone's thoughts on this?
I'd be in favor of stopping the clock in the final minute of play. After made baskets, it would stop the new defense from trying illegal tactics to try and stop the clock.

I'd like if NFHS went ahead and extended the coach's box like NCAA's. In Texas we give the coach's a six-foot box and it's never really enforced unless a coach is giving an official a hard time (at least in these parts).
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 07:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'd be in favor of stopping the clock in the final minute of play. After made baskets, it would stop the new defense from trying illegal tactics to try and stop the clock.

I'd like if NFHS went ahead and extended the coach's box like NCAA's. In Texas we give the coach's a six-foot box and it's never really enforced unless a coach is giving an official a hard time (at least in these parts).
How about if Texas just adopt the NCAA box since that's how y'all are enforcing it. I understand the coaches may not allow you to enforce it beyond that, but it's enforced here within a step or two.
Same goes for illegal tactics to stop the clock. What are you seeing? I've only seen one attempt to use a DOG to stop the clock, and my partner rightly ignored it (under 5 seconds remaining).
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 07:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

The 14-foot box is more reasonable, but I'd be happy giving HS coaches the full 28 feet. Doesn't matter to me a bit.

With the last minute of play stoppage, we'd spend a lot of time fixing the clock, I fear.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
How about if Texas just adopt the NCAA box since that's how y'all are enforcing it. I understand the coaches may not allow you to enforce it beyond that, but it's enforced here within a step or two.
Same goes for illegal tactics to stop the clock. What are you seeing? I've only seen one attempt to use a DOG to stop the clock, and my partner rightly ignored it (under 5 seconds remaining).
Curious, how big is the coaching box in your area?

As far as the illegal tactics to stop the clock, it's not a big issue here really. Stopping the clock would just negate all of it. It's not really a big deal to me and as Rich said, we might have to correct the clock a bit under a minute especially at the lower levels. Heck, we see it have to be corrected still at the college level from time to time.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Two thirds of my games this season were the JV or freshman variety with less than respectable volunteers working the table/clock. Coaches would be watching that clock like a hawk if it was close and they were down to make sure they got every tenth of a second they could, but I like the rule.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
14 ft
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

As far as the illegal tactics to stop the clock, it's not a big issue here really. Stopping the clock would just negate all of it. It's not really a big deal to me and as Rich said, we might have to correct the clock a bit under a minute especially at the lower levels. Heck, we see it have to be corrected still at the college level from time to time.
I could see states adapting the timing rules for varsity only, but I could never see the NFHS having such a rule. They write the rules for all levels, as they probably should.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post

I would love to see a couple of mechanic changes. 1) calling official goes opposite 2) report fouls while walking
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurposegamer View Post
curious, how big is the coaching box in your area?
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to see NFHS adopt these:
stop clock after made FG under 1:00 of 4th qtr.
all players to enter lane on release of FT shot (vs wait to hit rim)
Technical fouls are 2 shots and resume at POI (maintain 2 shots & ball for flagrant/dead-ball contact T's however)

i'll wait a couple of years and then hope that NFHS uses a "restricted area" under the basket for block/charge plays - AND that they eliminate the airborne shooter rule in conjunction.....
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
Technical fouls are 2 shots and resume at POI (maintain 2 shots & ball for flagrant/dead-ball contact T's however)

i'll wait a couple of years and then hope that NFHS uses a "restricted area" under the basket for block/charge plays - AND that they eliminate the airborne shooter rule in conjunction.....
I don't have much of an opinion one way or the other on the rest, but I absolutely hate the restricted area rule. If there's a defender in the area, take a two foot jump shot for crying out loud.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 10:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Why would you want to reduce the penalty for a technical foul at the high school level?

Technical fouls are supposed to be a deterrent against unsporting conduct, especially at the high school level. That's why a loss-of-ball was included in the penalty for a "T". And it seems that it's almost an annual occurrence to have an NFHS POE issued about having incidents of unsporting conduct reduced. And yet you're proposing a rule that has a chance of promoting or increasing those incidents by reducing the penalties for them? That doesn't make sense to me, Jeff.

Any coach...or player.... with half a brain is just gonna wait until his team has the ball before he goes off on us.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 10:21am
Back from the DL

Quote:
That's a misunderstood NBA rule. The restricted area only applies to "secondary defenders," and that's a concept we don't have to deal with in amateur hoops. With all we have to watch, why add whether a defender was primary or secondary?

Besides, a defender should able to defend any spot on the floor where has has LGP. If you can't obtain LGP on an airborne shooter, then the restricted area isn't necessary.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree with stopping the clock under a minute in the 4th. I'd also like to see players in the lane allowed to enter on the release. As far a technical fouls, I don't really care either way.

As far as the restricted area goes, I wouldn't be surprised if we see it sometime in the future. The NBA has had it for a while, NCAA added it this year (I think it'll be expanded and properly marked in the future), FIBA is going to it soon (insert FIBA joke here )...I'd have no problem if it were implemented at the high school level, but I'd much rather deal with implementing a shot clock first.