The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 11:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Here's a switch

The Kansas State coach was yelling at the refs because they didn't call a foul against his team! Of course, there were just a few seconds left in the game and his team was up by three, so he wanted the Xavier player to shoot only two. What happened was that after the "no call", his player fouled the Xavier player while he was shooting a three (he missed) but he made all three free throws which had the result of sending the game into OT.

When's the last time a coach yelled at you for NOT calling a foul against his team? Maybe never?
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

To be fair, there was a foul there. Of course the secondary defender shouldn't of had his hands in the proverbial cookie jar when the player started his shooting motion.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 11:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
To be fair, there was a foul there. Of course the secondary defender shouldn't of had his hands in the proverbial cookie jar when the player started his shooting motion.
Trail was straight-lined on the first foul attempt.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Trail was straight-lined on the first foul attempt.
I agree with that assessment.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 11:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think there was a foul there. If there was, it should be more than a common or regular foul. It should have been intentional. Unless the player was restricted, I do not see a foul there. And I see why it was not called. The ball handler blew right by the guy. This is not the same thing as an end of the game foul where they are trying to foul to get back into the game. The game was tied. It has got to be there. That would have been suspect.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think there was a foul there. If there was, it should be more than a common or regular foul. It should have been intentional. Unless the player was restricted, I do not see a foul there. And I see why it was not called. The ball handler blew right by the guy. This is not the same thing as an end of the game foul where they are trying to foul to get back into the game. The game was tied. It has got to be there. That would have been suspect.

Peace
Agree...on top of that the defender was getting bumped off the play by a screen. Great no call.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:21am
Esteemed Participant

So was anyone else able to read lips when the K-State coach (Martin?) was shown screaming down the court right after this play?? He clearly screamed "What the f@ck are you doing?" No idea if it was at the official who didn't call the foul, or the player who fouled the shooter...either way, seems like he got away with that one.

I have not had the "pleasure" of watching him (the K-State coach) much - not many K-State games shown in this area. He's a peach, isn't he?
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:24am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The game was tied. It has got to be there. That would have been suspect.

Peace
Rut, I think Xavier was down by three when this play occurred. Holloway (I think) made three free throws to tie the game and send it into overtime.

I think they didn't call the contact because it was marginal - didn't interrupt RSBQ - and allowing the player to play through it gives Xavier a chance to win. The shooting foul was an easy call, but without the foul they were giving Xavier a chance to shoot for the win.

If K-State was down, I bet there would have been a quick whistle on that play.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Rut, I think Xavier was down by three when this play occurred. Holloway (I think) made three free throws to tie the game and send it into overtime.

I think they didn't call the contact because it was marginal - didn't interrupt RSBQ - and allowing the player to play through it gives Xavier a chance to win. The shooting foul was an easy call, but without the foul they were giving Xavier a chance to shoot for the win.

Uh oh. Around here, a foul is a foul. Doesn't matter if it's at the beginning, middle or end of a game. Call the foul.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:45am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Uh oh. Around here, a foul is a foul. Doesn't matter if it's at the beginning, middle or end of a game. Call the foul.
Uh oh my a$$. Try on some game awareness.

You are obviously a confused official. Someone gets hit by an elbow and you don't want to call something - until other officials show you the light. Now, there is marginal contact on a play like this and you want to tell someone what they should call?

Some people should be seen and not heard.

Last edited by tomegun; Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 08:48am.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
So rule 4-40 doesn't apply in your area? All fouls require contact but not all contact is a foul. FWIW, I agree with JRut in the fact that if this is a foul, it is intentional.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 08:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Quote:

I think the operative word here is marginal. It wouldn't have been a foul at the beginning of the game either.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Uh oh my a$$. Try on some game awareness.
The sarcasm flew right over the top. Guess I shoulda used blue font.

Last edited by DLH17; Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 09:14am.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons View Post
So rule 4-40 doesn't apply in your area? All fouls require contact but not all contact is a foul. FWIW, I agree with JRut in the fact that if this is a foul, it is intentional.
I was watching the game at home with the wife and when that play occurred, she thought a foul was missed. When I disagreed, she was a upset that I disagreed for the reasons being discussed here.

All the guys in the office this morning thought it was a missed call, as well, and just looked at me weird when I said I would've probably passed on it.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 09:25am
We don't rent pigs

Is the NCAA definition of intentional the same, more or less, as NFHS? I thought the non-call would have to be intentional or nothing. The defender grabbed at the dribbler, making no attempt to play the ball. Was intentional not a possibility with a little more contact, or is this treated like the NBA does it in this situation?

Lonesome Dove