The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Newbie Ref Seeks Guidance

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for all that you do! I have a quick question about where to look and what to watch for during games. I typically operate in a 2 man crew in a YMCA league, where my partner and I have been trying to figure things out as the season progresses.

We've been involved in a few physical games of late (grades 7-9, 10-12); and I'm wondering how the experienced officials spot a lot of the "ticky tack" contact that so many players, coaches, and fans can "clearly see" that my partner and I painfully miss.

I can't call what I don't see. Is there any wisdom that can help me catch more?
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

You pose a very good question about a very real problem. As you have realized, half the battle is knowing where to watch and what to watch for. It's something we all have to learn. I spent a few years training volunteer officials for a church league. Teaching them how to deal with clueless, stupid, out of control rough play (i.e., church league basketball) was was a major challenge. I assembled what I think is a useful and detailed document on this topic. You may find it helpful. You can find it here: Controlling Rough Play.

Hopefully it will give you some of the guidance you're looking for. If you have questions about any part of it, or if there are topics you'd like expanded on, bring your questions back here and I'm sure you'll get feedback o'plenty.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
You pose a very good question about a very real problem. As you have realized, half the battle is knowing where to watch and what to watch for. It's something we all have to learn. I spent a few years training volunteer officials for a church league. Teaching them how to deal with clueless, stupid, out of control rough play (i.e., church league basketball) was was a major challenge. I assembled what I think is a useful and detailed document on this topic. You may find it helpful. You can find it here: Controlling Rough Play.

Hopefully it will give you some of the guidance you're looking for. If you have questions about any part of it, or if there are topics you'd like expanded on, bring your questions back here and I'm sure you'll get feedback o'plenty.
Where can I buy the book "BITS guide for newbie officials."? Great advice in that document. I just finished a rec league similar to the OP's...I'll keep that document on file for next year.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 05:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

And don't ever forget the first rule of officiating.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 07:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Turn Away, Don't Look Back ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
And don't ever forget the first rule of officiating.
JshJcbsn: If you believe in all that's good, and pure, and right, in this world, please don't ask.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JshJcbsn: If you believe in all that's good, and pure, and right, in this world, please don't ask.
You two should go on the road.

No, really.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Arghhh! The suspense is killing me... Alright, how 'bout some hints.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Bits:
Excellent. I know you wrote this for a church league, but needless to say there's a ton of great stuff in there that us newbies can use in our development as HS officials.
You hit on some areas that I'm still struggling to master after my second season....off ball stuff, rebounding, and post play.
Much of what you wrote, the philosophy, the thought process, the rational, has been voiced time and time again by many of the vets regularly post here. For me the document is a great recap of everything I've learned from you guys after hanging around here for the last two years.
I've already printed it to have it ready for next season.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 10:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
Arghhh! The suspense is killing me... Alright, how 'bout some hints.
OK - here's the top ten rules of officiating starting with number 10:

Number 10 - "When you're on the court - always look sharp. That doesn't include the top of your head."

Number 9 - "There's only 2 (sometimes 3) people in the entire gym who don't care who wins - you and your partner(s)."

Number 8 - "Remember - it's just a game. But you get paid anyway. What a deal!"

Number 7 - "Never swallow your whistle - it's there to be blown and besides, it tastes really, really bad."

Number 6 - "Parents know as much about the rules as they do about raising children."

Number 5 - "When in doubt - don't be."

Number 4 - "Always bring your English-Gibberish dictionary to the game so you can understand the coaches."

Number 3 - "Coaches have a shorter leash than a puppy."

Number 2 - "NO OVERTIMES!!!"

and (drum roll please) Number 1 - "Tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak.” This applies to both males and females.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to see that a passion is developing for officiating. I would recommend getting plugged in with your local HS association. This will give you an outlet to experienced officials and hopefully... more training than is available with most CYO or YMCA leagues.

As far as the "physical play" is concerned... physical play is okay... its the rough play that gets our games out of control. A couple of broad ideas: All non-basketball plays must be called...(anything dirty or in the cheapshot nature). Really look back at your games and see if there are certain plays that set the coaches and players off. Look at those situations and see if you could have handled them better or differently.

Remember, officiating is a learning process...work hard and try to get better every night and the improvement will follow.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys!

You've really helped put a perspective on things. While reading the article, there were definitely some things that came to mind that I should have called at one time or another. I know that I can do a better job now. Thank you for the help!

... I thought the number one rule to officiating was that I am always right, always.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 06:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Asked For It ...

Quote:
Here's the top ten rules of officiating.
Maybe the moderators will make this a sticky thread?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe the moderators will make this a sticky thread?
Mark and sticky in the same thread...are you sure that's a good idea?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Number 1 - "Tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak.” This applies to both males and females.
I've always wanted to ask (and yes, I know how this is going to sound) -- how long *is* your lanyard? I mean, I couldn't hit my whistle without some serious effort.

Seriously, though, another rule I saw broken in a state championship game. Blow your whistle before you step into the circle for the jump and leave it out of your mouth. Otherwise, you'll take an elbow someday and the whistle can do damage to teeth, etc.

Also, before the game, at halftime, after the game, either remove the whistle and put it in a pocket or tuck it in the shirt -- you don't want something for an irate moron to grab as you're leaving or entering the court.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Also, before the game, at halftime, after the game, either remove the whistle and put it in a pocket or tuck it in the shirt -- you don't want something for an irate moron to grab as you're leaving or entering the court.
In the early days of the NBA, Earl Strom advocated taking your belt off post-game and wrapping it around your throwing hand. Just in case....