The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 02:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
4-42-1: The thrower is the player who attempts to make the throw-in.

If he doesn't have the ball, he is not attempting to make the throw-in.
If we're going to get technical and literal here, by your definition he ain't a thrower until he actually attempts to make the throw in pass. Until I see a case play, interp, or rule change that clearly delineates the thrower as the person with the ball on an end-line throw-in for purposes of the rule in question, I'm considering them all throwers and fouls committed against them on the OOB side of that plane will be considered intentional.

It seems to me the rule is written with a spot throw-in in mind, but I could be (and have been) wrong.

It seems to me the intent is to come down hard on defenders who reach across and foul a player; splitting hairs on who's a thrower and who isn't seems a bit extreme. IMO of course.

Personally, I don't think a player needs to have the ball to attempt the throw in any more than having the ball makes him the thrower. It would be more accurate to say he's not a thrower if he throws the ball to a teammate out of bounds on this particular play.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

This is starting to go in different directions.
This was a spot throw-in following a violation by Team B. The designated spot was off to the side of Team B's basket (in Team A's backcourt).
The foul was committed by a Team B player on a Team A player who was in bounds, prior to the ball being inbounded. The thrower had the ball in his possession and the official had started the 5 second count (the ball was at the disposal of the in-bounder).
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 04:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SperlingPE View Post
This is starting to go in different directions.
Yep, happens all the time around here. Just be grateful your question was answered first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SperlingPE View Post
This was a spot throw-in following a violation by Team B. The designated spot was off to the side of Team B's basket (in Team A's backcourt).
The foul was committed by a Team B player on a Team A player who was in bounds, prior to the ball being inbounded. The thrower had the ball in his possession and the official had started the 5 second count (the ball was at the disposal of the in-bounder).
We know, thus the answers you were given initially.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. After a made basket, the throw in team has a second person OOB, maybe waiting to receive a pass (not the thrower at this point). If a defender fouls this non-thrower, are we to call an intentional foul on this, or could we call a common foul. 9-3-10P4 indicates: If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundaryline plane and fouls the thrower, an intentional personal foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required.
Strictly by the rules as written, you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If we're going to get technical and literal here, by your definition he ain't a thrower until he actually attempts to make the throw in pass. Until I see a case play, interp, or rule change that clearly delineates the thrower as the person with the ball on an end-line throw-in for purposes of the rule in question, I'm considering them all throwers and fouls committed against them on the OOB side of that plane will be considered intentional.

It seems to me the rule is written with a spot throw-in in mind, but I could be (and have been) wrong.

It seems to me the intent is to come down hard on defenders who reach across and foul a player; splitting hairs on who's a thrower and who isn't seems a bit extreme. IMO of course.

Personally, I don't think a player needs to have the ball to attempt the throw in any more than having the ball makes him the thrower. It would be more accurate to say he's not a thrower if he throws the ball to a teammate out of bounds on this particular play.
I have to believe that this is how the NFHS committee intends the rule to be enforced. Therefore, they should amend the rule to note that this applies to all players from the throwing team who are OOB behind the end line during a throw-in following a goal or awarded goal.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 04:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I have to believe that this is how the NFHS committee intends the rule to be enforced. Therefore, they should amend the rule to note that this applies to all players from the throwing team who are OOB behind the end line during a throw-in following a goal or awarded goal.
Agreed.