The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   IMO, they were wrong and shouldn't come back. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57551-imo-they-were-wrong-shouldnt-come-back.html)

Adam Tue Mar 16, 2010 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHtown (Post 668531)
If you read this month's Referee you will understand some of the frustrations among officials in Texas. We were told by a UIL official that high school mechanics would be enforced, yet at the state tournament I saw thumbs down for 30 second time out reporting: handing the ball to the thrower on side line throw-ins: two finger pointing. Now in and of itself, it's no big deal, but when you preach one thing, and allow another, it creates all kinds of confusion and doubts.

I'm in Houston.

I thought the bounce was optional for these. :confused:

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 16, 2010 02:35pm

Quote:

two finger pointing.

I know. This upsets me, too. I always use just one finger, especially with coaches. :eek:

Camron Rust Tue Mar 16, 2010 03:21pm

Quote:

If you read this month's Referee you will understand some of the frustrations among officials in Texas. We were told by a UIL official that high school mechanics would be enforced, yet at the state tournament I saw thumbs down for 30 second time out reporting: handing the ball to the thrower on side line throw-ins: two finger pointing. Now in and of itself, it's no big deal, but when you preach one thing, and allow another, it creates all kinds of confusion and doubts.

I'm in Houston.

Perhaps the mechanics were enforced as part of the whole picture. Perfect signals do not make up for poor calls. And, just becasue you saw non-approved mechanics doesn't mean they were not considered...I'd bet they were considered in concert with all other aspects of the games.

fullor30 Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaqwells (Post 668533)
i thought the bounce was optional for these. :confused:

+1

Nevadaref Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 668533)
I thought the bounce was optional for these. :confused:

Actually, it is even recommended for sideline throw-ins. :eek:

Nevadaref Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:24pm

Quote:

two finger pointing.

I must admit that I do this.

That and sometimes failing to put my arm straight up to stop the clock prior to pointing direction when calling an OOB are about the only non-federation mechanics of which I am guilty.

Raymond Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 668601)
I must admit that I do this.

That and sometimes failing to put my arm straight up to stop the clock prior to pointing direction when calling an OOB are about the only non-federation mechanics of which I am guilty.

Are those the only mechanical deviations the rest of us are allowed without being called cowardly?

constable Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 668444)
OK, so let me see if I have this right in your scenario:

- A1 knowingly dunks the ball.
- The Team/Coach know this is against the rules and understands the penalty.
- The referees rightfully enforce the rules and assess the penalty.

Team A gets pissed off and does what?

Referees call the game as always......I see no problems.

I've said it before, and I will continue to say it that it is a foolish rule.I've heard the arguments about having to replace a backboard after a hard dunk during the warm ups but if that's the case should we not ban dunking period?

I think there are much bigger fish to fry.

I've said it. It's my opinion and that's all there is too it you can't fault me for stating my opinion, so no need to flame me.

grunewar Wed Mar 17, 2010 06:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 668426)
Maybe the official's realized that whacking someone for dunking in the warm up is a great way to piss off an entire team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 668638)
I've said it before, and I will continue to say it that it is a foolish rule.I've heard the arguments about having to replace a backboard after a hard dunk during the warm ups but if that's the case should we not ban dunking period?

I've said it. It's my opinion and that's all there is too it you can't fault me for stating my opinion, so no need to flame me.

Constable, I did not flame you.

My point was - there is a rule (like it or not), and as an official, I am not going to concern myself with "pissing off" (your words) an entire team for enforcing a rule that most, if not everyone, knows.

Should we not give an unsporting T's for taunting or chest thumping because it would "piss off" an entire team? Inappropriate Backboard slaps? Chinups on the rim? Intentional fouls? Enforcing these rules could "piss off" an entire team. Where do we draw the line?

You're entitled to your opinion. I respect it.

Me, in this case, WHACK! And the player and I are going over to the coach and HE is going to explain why the game will start off with the T and shooting foul shots.

JMO

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 17, 2010 06:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 668654)
You're entitled to your opinion. I respect it.

I respect his right to have an opinion. I sureasheck don't respect his opinion though.

Worrying about whether any call is gonna piss off a team is ridiculous in my opinion. And that's not a flame either; it's an opinion.

mbyron Wed Mar 17, 2010 06:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 668657)
I respect his right to have an opinion. I sureasheck don't respect his opinion though.

Exactly. Just like on the court, people need to learn to distinguish between "you're wrong" and "you're an idiot." Only one of those is a flame.

OTOH, some posters need to learn how to say "you're wrong" without implying "you're an idiot." (I'm not implying that JR is among those.)

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 17, 2010 06:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 668658)
OTOH, some posters need to learn how to say "you're wrong" without implying "you're an idiot." (I'm not implying that JR is among those.)

You're right.

You're also an idiot.

Set yourself up for that one, didn't ya? :D

mbyron Wed Mar 17, 2010 07:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 668659)
You're right.

You're also an idiot.

Set yourself up for that one, didn't ya? :D

Uh, takes one to know one. :p

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 17, 2010 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 668660)
Uh, takes one to know one. :p

I know, I know......

bob jenkins Wed Mar 17, 2010 07:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 668638)

It's one thing to think a rule should be changed. Heck, I think there's even a thread on that.

It's another to not call the rule.