The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Being a Smart-*** Player

First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for the insight that everyone is providing here. As a player and a coach, I've always thought I've know a little more about the rules of the game than your average bear. Thankfully, the posts and opinions I've seen here have been a pretty humbling experience.

On the same note, I had a bit of an interesting run-in with a referee during my men's league game tonight. In case you are wondering, this league uses the same referee's as the high school and university-level games. The plays leading up aren't anything special or unique, however I thought the interaction between myself and the Official was a little off, for lack of a better word. My team is on defense and the offensive player with the ball drives baseline, steps out of bounds (which I point out) prompting the referee to blow the whistle. In other instances, when the ball goes out of bounds (when I think it should be our possession) I point in our direction. To clarify, I don't intentionally do this to try to sway the referees or try to tell them how to do the job; it was just a habit I picked up as a kid watching NBA games.

Midway through the game, I do my usual pointing out when the ref turns to me and says "I'm on it. You don't need to point it out. I know what I'm doing."

Is my pointing out possession annoying or offensive to the referee as though to say they're not doing their job?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 06:42am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Depends on the offiicial.

I can certainly see how it could be annoying and get on an officials nerves as you try to help them do their job or sway the call in your favor (same as if a Coach or a fan keep at it).

My advice - try to break the habit and not to be such a helper. Let the officials officiate the game - you just play.

Good luck.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commcoach View Post
First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for the insight that everyone is providing here. As a player and a coach, I've always thought I've know a little more about the rules of the game than your average bear. Thankfully, the posts and opinions I've seen here have been a pretty humbling experience.

On the same note, I had a bit of an interesting run-in with a referee during my men's league game tonight. In case you are wondering, this league uses the same referee's as the high school and university-level games. The plays leading up aren't anything special or unique, however I thought the interaction between myself and the Official was a little off, for lack of a better word. My team is on defense and the offensive player with the ball drives baseline, steps out of bounds (which I point out) prompting the referee to blow the whistle. In other instances, when the ball goes out of bounds (when I think it should be our possession) I point in our direction. To clarify, I don't intentionally do this to try to sway the referees or try to tell them how to do the job; it was just a habit I picked up as a kid watching NBA games.

Midway through the game, I do my usual pointing out when the ref turns to me and says "I'm on it. You don't need to point it out. I know what I'm doing."

Is my pointing out possession annoying or offensive to the referee as though to say they're not doing their job?
Not offensive, but annoying.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

I have no opinion concerning your particular episode. Too much of the story is absent.

I personally wouldn't see you point. I've got better things to look at.

Are you saying something when you point? That's akin to the coach who calls out "travel," "foul," "and one" (ugh) etc. on every possession.

I personally wouldn't be too bothered by mere pointing, even if I happened to see it. Coaches advocate for their team. As long as they don't show me up (throw up their hands when I point the other way, etc.), I regard this as part of the game.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 08:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
As grunewar said "it depends on the official". It was annoying to that particular referee and that's all that matters. And btw it certainly looks to the crowd that you're telling that official that he/she blew the call. There's that also. When you get into officiating rather than coaching, you're taking your chances. And if you pick the wrong official to try and help out, don't be surprised if you get a negative reaction.

I don't think any official minds any coach asking them about a call...once. The coach deserves a respectful answer to a respectful question.

Do you do the same pointing thingy if a ball went out-of-bounds off of your player? If your player stepped on the end line, do you point that out too?

Welcome to the forum, Coach.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To clarify, I don't intentionally do this to try to sway the referees or try to tell them how to do the job; it was just a habit I picked up as a kid watching NBA games.
I call BS on this one.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 08:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know I get annoyed when I see players (I'm assuming you were playing here) either point at the line or signal traveling (or double dribble) during the game. I don't mind when they point a direction after I make an OOB call; just don't argue with me when I disagree.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you continually do it, or do it before I can make the call, then yes.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you continually do it, or do it before I can make the call, then yes.
Especially if you are looking directly at me giving body language as if to say "come on ref, this is the call."
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Put me in the group of officials that don't really care if a head coach points one direction or another when the ball goes OOB. Everyone has an opinion and I don't mind coach trying to finesse it a little bit. Doesn't bother me.

What is annoying to me is the coach that has the habit of saying "THANK YOU" after calls that favor his team....as if I'm there to accommodate his team.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...My team is on defense and the offensive player with the ball drives baseline, steps out of bounds (which I point out) prompting the referee to blow the whistle...
That's a huge assumption. That type of thinking leads to my next answer.

Quote:

yes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Put me in the group of officials that don't really care if a head coach points one direction or another when the ball goes OOB. Everyone has an opinion and I don't mind coach trying to finesse it a little bit. Doesn't bother me.

What is annoying to me is the coach that has the habit of saying "THANK YOU" after calls that favor his team....as if I'm there to accommodate his team.
I think the OP is a player in a men's rec league.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I think the OP is a player in a men's rec league.
I thought he said he was a player/coach. At least, that's what I inferred from his OP.

If he was a player in the situation posted, then I'm definitely OK with the directional pointing. If he was standing in the coach's box and gave a signal, I'm def OK with that too.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I thought he said he was a player/coach. At least, that's what I inferred from his OP.

If he was a player in the situation posted, then I'm definitely OK with the directional pointing. If he was standing in the coach's box and gave a signal, I'm def OK with that too.
He said he pointed to the endline when the opposing player stepped OOB, not too many coaches would be in position to do this.

Like I said, I'm fine with players pointing once the I've blown my whislte, they do it all the time. But when I point the other way, they should just start moving into defensive position rather than argue it with me.

I do, however, get annoyed when, during play, a player points to the line (to indicate the opponent stepped OOB) or makes a traveling signal. He may as well start counting out loud for me. I'll take less of this than "traveling" from the coach.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

:+1 for depends on official. Some have short fuses just like everywhere else.
Last rec league I played in was back in the 90's. I was called for a block on a fast break. (I hadn't bothered to run down on offense) I sort of smirked but didn't make a show or anything. I was standing by the referee during the FT's and subs and asked it it was a block b/c I moved. He said Yes. I said but wouldn't moving have required effort on my part. He said yes. I said Have I done ANYTHING in this game to signify that I would make ANY extra effort when standing is soooo much easier? Then I walked away smiling thinking I had made a funny. I got T'd. The other official thought it was funny!