The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Being a Smart-*** Player (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57504-being-smart-player.html)

commcoach Thu Mar 11, 2010 03:58am

Being a Smart-*** Player

First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for the insight that everyone is providing here. As a player and a coach, I've always thought I've know a little more about the rules of the game than your average bear. Thankfully, the posts and opinions I've seen here have been a pretty humbling experience.

On the same note, I had a bit of an interesting run-in with a referee during my men's league game tonight. In case you are wondering, this league uses the same referee's as the high school and university-level games. The plays leading up aren't anything special or unique, however I thought the interaction between myself and the Official was a little off, for lack of a better word. My team is on defense and the offensive player with the ball drives baseline, steps out of bounds (which I point out) prompting the referee to blow the whistle. In other instances, when the ball goes out of bounds (when I think it should be our possession) I point in our direction. To clarify, I don't intentionally do this to try to sway the referees or try to tell them how to do the job; it was just a habit I picked up as a kid watching NBA games.

Midway through the game, I do my usual pointing out when the ref turns to me and says "I'm on it. You don't need to point it out. I know what I'm doing."

Is my pointing out possession annoying or offensive to the referee as though to say they're not doing their job?

grunewar Thu Mar 11, 2010 06:42am

Depends on the offiicial.

I can certainly see how it could be annoying and get on an officials nerves as you try to help them do their job or sway the call in your favor (same as if a Coach or a fan keep at it).

My advice - try to break the habit and not to be such a helper. Let the officials officiate the game - you just play.

Good luck.

dsqrddgd909 Thu Mar 11, 2010 06:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by commcoach (Post 667610)
First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for the insight that everyone is providing here. As a player and a coach, I've always thought I've know a little more about the rules of the game than your average bear. Thankfully, the posts and opinions I've seen here have been a pretty humbling experience.

On the same note, I had a bit of an interesting run-in with a referee during my men's league game tonight. In case you are wondering, this league uses the same referee's as the high school and university-level games. The plays leading up aren't anything special or unique, however I thought the interaction between myself and the Official was a little off, for lack of a better word. My team is on defense and the offensive player with the ball drives baseline, steps out of bounds (which I point out) prompting the referee to blow the whistle. In other instances, when the ball goes out of bounds (when I think it should be our possession) I point in our direction. To clarify, I don't intentionally do this to try to sway the referees or try to tell them how to do the job; it was just a habit I picked up as a kid watching NBA games.

Midway through the game, I do my usual pointing out when the ref turns to me and says "I'm on it. You don't need to point it out. I know what I'm doing."

Is my pointing out possession annoying or offensive to the referee as though to say they're not doing their job?

Not offensive, but annoying.

mbyron Thu Mar 11, 2010 07:24am

I have no opinion concerning your particular episode. Too much of the story is absent.

I personally wouldn't see you point. I've got better things to look at.

Are you saying something when you point? That's akin to the coach who calls out "travel," "foul," "and one" (ugh) etc. on every possession.

I personally wouldn't be too bothered by mere pointing, even if I happened to see it. Coaches advocate for their team. As long as they don't show me up (throw up their hands when I point the other way, etc.), I regard this as part of the game.

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 11, 2010 08:02am

Quote:

As grunewar said "it depends on the official". It was annoying to that particular referee and that's all that matters. And btw it certainly looks to the crowd that you're telling that official that he/she blew the call. There's that also. When you get into officiating rather than coaching, you're taking your chances. And if you pick the wrong official to try and help out, don't be surprised if you get a negative reaction.

I don't think any official minds any coach asking them about a call...once. The coach deserves a respectful answer to a respectful question.

Do you do the same pointing thingy if a ball went out-of-bounds off of your player? If your player stepped on the end line, do you point that out too? :)

Welcome to the forum, Coach.

Smitty Thu Mar 11, 2010 08:28am

Quote:

To clarify, I don't intentionally do this to try to sway the referees or try to tell them how to do the job; it was just a habit I picked up as a kid watching NBA games.

I call BS on this one. :rolleyes:

Adam Thu Mar 11, 2010 08:49am

I know I get annoyed when I see players (I'm assuming you were playing here) either point at the line or signal traveling (or double dribble) during the game. I don't mind when they point a direction after I make an OOB call; just don't argue with me when I disagree.

bob jenkins Thu Mar 11, 2010 09:01am

Quote:

If you continually do it, or do it before I can make the call, then yes.

Indianaref Thu Mar 11, 2010 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 667633)
If you continually do it, or do it before I can make the call, then yes.

Especially if you are looking directly at me giving body language as if to say "come on ref, this is the call."

DLH17 Thu Mar 11, 2010 09:37am

Put me in the group of officials that don't really care if a head coach points one direction or another when the ball goes OOB. Everyone has an opinion and I don't mind coach trying to finesse it a little bit. Doesn't bother me.

What is annoying to me is the coach that has the habit of saying "THANK YOU" after calls that favor his team....as if I'm there to accommodate his team.

Raymond Thu Mar 11, 2010 09:38am

Quote:

...My team is on defense and the offensive player with the ball drives baseline, steps out of bounds (which I point out) prompting the referee to blow the whistle...

That's a huge assumption. :rolleyes: That type of thinking leads to my next answer.

Quote:

yes

Adam Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 667641)
Put me in the group of officials that don't really care if a head coach points one direction or another when the ball goes OOB. Everyone has an opinion and I don't mind coach trying to finesse it a little bit. Doesn't bother me.

What is annoying to me is the coach that has the habit of saying "THANK YOU" after calls that favor his team....as if I'm there to accommodate his team.

I think the OP is a player in a men's rec league.

DLH17 Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 667683)
I think the OP is a player in a men's rec league.

I thought he said he was a player/coach. At least, that's what I inferred from his OP.

If he was a player in the situation posted, then I'm definitely OK with the directional pointing. If he was standing in the coach's box and gave a signal, I'm def OK with that too.

Adam Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 667687)
I thought he said he was a player/coach. At least, that's what I inferred from his OP.

If he was a player in the situation posted, then I'm definitely OK with the directional pointing. If he was standing in the coach's box and gave a signal, I'm def OK with that too.

He said he pointed to the endline when the opposing player stepped OOB, not too many coaches would be in position to do this.

Like I said, I'm fine with players pointing once the I've blown my whislte, they do it all the time. But when I point the other way, they should just start moving into defensive position rather than argue it with me.

I do, however, get annoyed when, during play, a player points to the line (to indicate the opponent stepped OOB) or makes a traveling signal. He may as well start counting out loud for me. I'll take less of this than "traveling" from the coach.

Judtech Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:24am

:+1 for depends on official. Some have short fuses just like everywhere else.
Last rec league I played in was back in the 90's. I was called for a block on a fast break. (I hadn't bothered to run down on offense) I sort of smirked but didn't make a show or anything. I was standing by the referee during the FT's and subs and asked it it was a block b/c I moved. He said Yes. I said but wouldn't moving have required effort on my part. He said yes. I said Have I done ANYTHING in this game to signify that I would make ANY extra effort when standing is soooo much easier? Then I walked away smiling thinking I had made a funny. I got T'd. The other official thought it was funny!:D