View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Being a Smart-*** Player

First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for the insight that everyone is providing here. As a player and a coach, I've always thought I've know a little more about the rules of the game than your average bear. Thankfully, the posts and opinions I've seen here have been a pretty humbling experience.

On the same note, I had a bit of an interesting run-in with a referee during my men's league game tonight. In case you are wondering, this league uses the same referee's as the high school and university-level games. The plays leading up aren't anything special or unique, however I thought the interaction between myself and the Official was a little off, for lack of a better word. My team is on defense and the offensive player with the ball drives baseline, steps out of bounds (which I point out) prompting the referee to blow the whistle. In other instances, when the ball goes out of bounds (when I think it should be our possession) I point in our direction. To clarify, I don't intentionally do this to try to sway the referees or try to tell them how to do the job; it was just a habit I picked up as a kid watching NBA games.

Midway through the game, I do my usual pointing out when the ref turns to me and says "I'm on it. You don't need to point it out. I know what I'm doing."

Is my pointing out possession annoying or offensive to the referee as though to say they're not doing their job?