The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

8 OT playoff game - a "Padgett Special"!

from the Chicago Suntimes:

HIGH SCHOOL ROUNDUP: Nazareth KO's N. Lawndale in 8 OTs
March 3, 2010BY BEN MEYER-ABBOTT

Ryan Powers made two free throws with 12 seconds left in the eighth overtime to seal a 59-55 regional semifinal victory Tuesday for host Nazareth over Class 3A powerhouse North Lawndale.
The eight extra sessions tied the IHSA record for overtimes in a state playoff game -- set by Carthage and Dallas City in a 1994 Class A regional -- and is one shy of the all-time record of nine overtimes played by Dwight and Reddick in a 1964 regular-season game.
The foul shots and the win were sweet redemption for Powers after he missed two free throws with .6 seconds to play in the second overtime that would have won the game for the Roadrunners (13-14).
''I wanted to redeem myself and give us the chance to win the game,'' said Powers, who had 12 points. ''I knew if we wanted to win this game I had to stay up and stay positive. The most important thing was staying poised.''
Paul Bunch (22 points) led North Lawndale (19-8), which was without seven players -- including Jermaine Winfield -- who were ineligible. The 7-footer was a key component to the Phoenix's overtime strategy of winning the tip and holding for the last shot.
But Powers and Nazareth were unfazed.
''Coach [John] Bonk told us to buckle down and play defense like we know how,'' Powers said. ''We've been playing our best basketball, and we've proved to everyone we can play with anyone in the state.''
A.J. Ryan had 17 points, Patrick Kelly added 14 and Alex Wilkinson contributed nine for Nazareth.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 01:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Another example of why we should support mandatory drug testing of officials.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

59-55 in eith overtimes? Sounds like it might not have been the prettiest game to see.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 01:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Someone save this as an exhibit for the prosecution in favor of the shot clock:

Quote:
The 7-footer was a key component to the Phoenix's overtime strategy of winning the tip and holding for the last shot.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

I've said this in games I work and I'd like to know how many of you agree with me:

"A basketball game played without the shot clock is not basketball.It is simply a game of keep away!"

Jeffpea,
Can you find the box score for this game?It would be kind of interesting (or sickening) to see what the scoring breakdown was per period!
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I've said this in games I work and I'd like to know how many of you agree with me:

"A basketball game played without the shot clock is not basketball.It is simply a game of keep away!"

Jeffpea,
Can you find the box score for this game?It would be kind of interesting (or sickening) to see what the scoring breakdown was per period!
More info in this article.

Boys basketball: Nazareth 59, North Lawndale 55, 8OT
Boys basketball: Nazareth still standing after 8-overtime win over North Lawndale

By Mike Helfgot Special to the Tribune 5:56 p.m. CST, March 3, 2010

Time after overtime, Nazareth sat back and let North Lawndale hold the ball for the "final" shot.

It took the equivalent of two full games, but Nazareth's patience was rewarded with one of the biggest victories in school history.

March Madness was at its wackiest Tuesday night in LaGrange Park, where the ironically named Roadrunners outlasted third-seeded North Lawndale 59-55 in eight overtimes for their second 3A regional victory in as many days. They advance to the 3A regional championship Friday.

"It was kind of frustrating to sit back there and watch them hold the ball," said AJ Ryan, who led No. 13 seed Nazareth with 17 points. "I just wanted to play, go up and down instead of just standing there. It was getting kind of ridiculous, but after the game there was no better feeling in the world.

"This is the biggest win any of us have been a part of and the biggest win Naz has had in a long time."

The eight overtimes equaled the record for a state playoff game and is one shy of the state record set in 1964 by Dwight and Reddick.

North Lawndale (19-8), which was playing without ineligible star Jermaine Winfield, will not advance downstate for the first time since 2005.

The Phoenix had more than its share of chances, easily winning the overtime jump balls with 7-foot center Paul Bunch (22 points). The score was knotted at 40-40 at the end of regulation and 46-46 after one overtime before North Lawndale took the air out of the ball.

Neither team scored in the second or third overtimes, then a basket by each made it 48-48 after four extra sessions. It was 48-48 after five overtimes and again after six, then an offensive explosion in the seventh overtime resulted in a 53-53 tie.

Six overtimes after he missed two chances to win the game from the free-throw line, Ryan Powers (12 points) redeemed himself with two free throws that gave Nazareth a 59-55 lead with 12 seconds left.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post

Jeffpea,
to paraphrase the article that NevadaRef posted, here's the scoring:

End of Reg: 40-40
End of 1 OT: 46-46
End of 2 OT: 46-46
End of 3 OT: 46-46
End of 4 OT: 48-48
End of 5 OT: 48-48
End of 6 OT: 48-48
End of 7 OT: 53-53
End of 8 OT: 59-55

sounds like more standing then running for the officials during the overtimes...
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 12:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
to paraphrase the article that NevadaRef posted, here's the scoring:

End of Reg: 40-40
End of 1 OT: 46-46
End of 2 OT: 46-46
End of 3 OT: 46-46
End of 4 OT: 48-48
End of 5 OT: 48-48
End of 6 OT: 48-48
End of 7 OT: 53-53
End of 8 OT: 59-55

sounds like more standing then running for the officials during the overtimes...
40-40 after regulation? Sounds like a lot of standing in that one, too.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:44pm
Administrator

I have been against the shot clock at all levels of the game my entire life. While I would not enjoy a steady diet of slowdown games, I think that slowdown games do have their place in basketball and they are fun to watch, play in, and officiate from time-to-time.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 02:59am. Reason: Made the first sentence of the post readable.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I have been the shot clock at all levels of the game my entire life.
Weren't you a sun dial when you were young?
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 03:00am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Weren't you a sun dial when you were young?

Nevada:

I edited my original post.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio