The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Still got a long ways to go

Well, first year is almost over.

Today made me think I have a lot to learn. 4 games - Boys HS Rec.

1. 3rd game. This league has 2 x 20 min. halves with mandatory subs every 5 minutes. At one of these sub times, I administer a throw-in to the correct team but point the wrong way. The team goes the wrong way, into their back court and scores on the wrong basket. We missed the over and back violation, and gave the other team the basket. Correct or not? Rules book at work.

2. Same game. Red down 4 in last seconds, hits a three and the time runs out. Red coach goes nuts saying the clock stops on made basket in the last 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure that is the NBA rule, but NOT the Fed.

3. 4th game. Now it hits the fan. Very rough game, lots of contact, both teams in the double bonus early. Both teams complaining a lot, without rising to level of T. One no-call on a drive to the basket has red team bench going crazy. Warn the HC, kid drops the F-Bomb loudly,...T.

My question is how do you handle a very physical game? We called everything obvious.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 07:54am. Reason: spelling
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Way Street ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I administer a throw-in to the correct team but point the wrong way. The team goes the wrong way, into their back court and scores on the wrong basket. We missed the over and back violation, and gave the other team the basket. Correct or not? Rules book at work.
Since it was a mistake by the officials, I believe that you count everything as if they were going the right way, and then, once the mistake is discovered, turn them all around and have them go the right way.

4-5-4: If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction,
when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall
count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each
team going the proper direction based on bench location.

5.2.1 SITUATION E: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by
mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls
the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed
up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested
basket. RULING: Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game
and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. The mistake is an official's
error by allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction; not a correctable error.

5.2.1 SITUATION F: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several
baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball
into the opponent’s basket. RULING: All points scored count as if the teams had
gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized,
play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket.
(4-5-4)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 07:48pm.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 07:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thirteen O'Clock, Broken Clock ...

Quote:
Red coach goes nuts saying the clock stops on made basket in the last 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure that is the NBA rule, but NOT the Fed.
You are correct that the clock doesn't stop for made field goals in NFHS rules. I'm not sure about NBA, but I think it stops in NCAA. One of our NCAA colleagues will be around shortly to confirm, or dispute, this.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 07:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Went To A Fight And A Basketball Game Broke Out ...

Quote:
Very rough game, lots of contact, both teams in the double bonus early. My question is how do you handle a very physical game. We called everything obvious.
The fact that you got into the double bonus early is one indication that you were trying to control the rough nature of the game. You mentioned that you were calling the obvious. Maybe you need to call the less obvious, like the "touch" fouls, which may lead the players to "lighten it up a little". Other ideas include rare, but useful, double fouls; intentional fouls; maybe flagrant fouls; and unsportng, or fighting, technical fouls. Then there's the old time stand by, talk to the captains.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 09:07am.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You are correct that the clock doesn't stop for made field goals in NFHS rules. I'm not sure about NBA, but I think it stops in NCAA. One of our NCAA colleagues will be around shortly to confirm, or dispute, this.
Duties of Timer: Stop the game clock after a successful field goal with 59.9 seconds or less remaining in the game or any extra period. (NCAA 2-10-12)
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NBA: Clock stops in the final minute of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter. Clock stops with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter and/or any overtime periods.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since it was a mistake by the officials, I believe that you count everything as if they were going the right way, and then, once the mistake is discovered, turn them all around and have them go the right way.

4-5-4: If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction,
when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall
count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each
team going the proper direction based on bench location.

5.2.1 SITUATION E: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls
the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed
up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested
basket. RULING: Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game
and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. The mistake is an official's
error by allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction; not a correctable error.

5.2.1 SITUATION F: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team
mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several
baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball
into the opponent’s basket. RULING: All points scored count as if the teams had
gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized,
play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket.
(4-5-4)
Are we suppose to use this rule in this situation. Usually we see this mistake when we allows teams to shoot at the wrong basket, but in the original situation, teams were shooting at the correct basket but had an official accidentally shoot the wrong way. It's not like the situation where teams are shooting at the wrong basket and a player realizes this and shoots at the correct basket.

Though unfortunate for one team, if you miss the backcourt violation, I'd say you have to credit the points to the other team and play on. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 09:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Red coach goes nuts saying the clock stops on amde basket in the last 2 minutes.
"Coach, that's a rule in the NBA. When you get to coach in the NBA, you can have the clock stop in that situation."
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Some rec leagues have a running clock that stops on every whistle in the last 2 minutes. Never heard of one that stopped the clock after a made basket.

As for "physical" games: some of these leagues are long on testosterone and short on skills. You can try calling it tighter, but they're often neither smart nor skilled enough to adjust. Then you get a 2 hour game that ends 2-on-2 because everyone has fouled out. No good options.

To the OP: crap like you've been dealing with is the reason why many of us stopped doing wreck ball and never looked back.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 09:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Assign This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Crap like you've been dealing with is the reason why many of us stopped doing wreck ball and never looked back.
Oh, I look back all the time. To give the rec assigner the finger every time he asks me to fill-in for him.

Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 03:59pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Well, first year is almost over.

Today made me think I have a lot to learn. 4 games - Boys HS Rec.

2. Same game. Red down 4 in last seconds, hits a three and the time runs out. Red coach goes nuts saying the clock stops on made basket in the last 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure that is the NBA rule, but NOT the Fed.
Was this the CYO-D grades 3&4 instruction league?

Here is what is posted on our parish athletics site regarding the timing rules:
- Two 20 minute halves per games. Five 4 minute periods per half with running clock. Last 2 minutes of each half is a stop clock.

Methinks the coach doesn't know what 'stop clock' means.

I'm also suprised they allow three pointers since the CYO-D JV level (grades 5 & 6) do not recognize three point shots.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Was this the CYO-D grades 3&4 instruction league?

Here is what is posted on our parish athletics site regarding the timing rules:
- Two 20 minute halves per games. Five 4 minute periods per half with running clock. Last 2 minutes of each half is a stop clock.

Methinks the coach doesn't know what 'stop clock' means.

I'm also suprised they allow three pointers since the CYO-D JV level (grades 5 & 6) do not recognize three point shots.
No, it was high school rec. I was surprised the coach was so adamant about a rule, (that I know / thought I knew / now really do know) is not Fed.