The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 15, 2000, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

There should be a Dave-ism web site.

Old Thu Jun 15, 2000, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I wish I could remember which of you posted it....

Not too long ago, somebody posted to this board suggesting to respond to the familiar "call it both ways" by asking the accuser if he (or she) was implying that the referees were cheating.

Well, I did just that with a player in a rec league game this weekend, and it stopped her in her tracks. She had this look like she had no idea that the implication came with the comment, and she shut up quick.

Anyway - thanks to whomever!

As a newer ref, I have really gained a ton from following this board. Thanks again!

Joe
Old Thu Jun 15, 2000, 11:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

It was me, Joe. Now, we all know coaches and players don't really mean to imply we are biased and/or cheating, but a literal interpretation of that phrase implies exactly that.

I only use it when a coach says it repeatedly during a game. I doubt I use it an average of even once a year, though.

BTW - as Dave has said in response to that comment: "Call it both ways? You mean right - and wrong?"

Another Dave-ism on that was to say (as he was about to report a foul): "Call it both ways? OK. Blue 14. 14 Blue. Satisfied?"
Old Fri Jun 16, 2000, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Mark -

Please arrange for Dave to be a guest speaker on our site. Or better still -- get him to join! LOL
Old Sat Jun 17, 2000, 04:23am
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil:
Mark -

Please arrange for Dave to be a guest speaker on our site. Or better still -- get him to join! LOL

As I've posted before, Dave is internet illiterate. He thinks the web is something Spiderman shoots at bad guys. I think he had a Commodore 64 at one time, though.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2000, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Sorry, Mark, but it was ME!
http://www.refereeforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000599.html

Not that I didn't get it from someone else. But, I did post it!

...who said refs have no ego!
Old Wed Jun 21, 2000, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Pizzano

Did you ever attend the Embry-Riddle Camp in Daytona?
Old Thu Jun 22, 2000, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

sip-
nope. should i have?
Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

I beg to differ. When a coach or spectator says, "call it both ways", they are merely saying that the officiating isn't consistent. That doesn't necessarily imply that they think that the inconsistancy is due to anything sinister or a lack of compitance. An officiating crew may not be working well together and the calls are not being applied consistently (..what was a foul a moment ago is now a no-call.)

Like it or not, someone says "call it both ways", it's a valid observation. Whether it is a fair or correct observation is another matter entirely.

- Duck
Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 03:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

quote:
Originally posted by Duck1:
I beg to differ. When a coach or spectator says, "call it both ways", they are merely saying that the officiating isn't consistent. That doesn't necessarily imply that they think that the inconsistancy is due to anything sinister or a lack of compitance. - Duck

Did you read my post before commenting? Here's what I said: "Now, we all know coaches and players don't really mean to imply we are biased and/or cheating, but a literal interpretation of that phrase implies exactly that."

So - what are you differing in? Your comment says the same thing.

Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed Mark. Calling inconsistently would still go both ways - both teams get inconsistent treatment. When people say "call it both ways," they clearly imply the floor is slanted toward one team due solely to the referees' calls. If you want to complain about inconsistency, "call it both ways" is not the phrase to use as it impugns the integrity of the calls rather than their quality.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2000, 06:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach:
Agreed Mark. Calling inconsistently would still go both ways - both teams get inconsistent treatment. When people say "call it both ways," they clearly imply the floor is slanted toward one team due solely to the referees' calls. If you want to complain about inconsistency, "call it both ways" is not the phrase to use as it impugns the integrity of the calls rather than their quality.

Yes - a more accurate yell would be "be consistent", although you know they would not yell it if they felt a ref was consistently "favoring" their own team.

Once fans, coaches and players criticize "both ways", I'll give them more credibility.