The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Boys V rec - maybe that's your answer right there. Middle of Q3. A1 and B1 have been bumping in the post all night and some fouls have been called. All of a sudden, B1 punches A1 right in the mouth and knocks him down to the floor (actually, that's pretty impressive if you think about it). My partner, who is lead, jumps right in a keeps them separated. I run over (about the only time all night I actually ran) to help prevent any further action.

B1 is ejected for the flagrant and my partner goes over to report it. Before he can finish, coach A yells the following at him, "Why didn't you let my player have a chance to retaliate? That's only fair. You've got to call it both ways. (italics mine for emphasis)

At first, we both thought he was kidding because if it was a joke, it was pretty funny. But he wasn't. Here's my partner's response. "Coach, advocating violence here can certainly be construed as flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct which would carry an ejection and suspension. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt this time and assume you just weren't thinking straight. I trust you will not say another word on this subject."

That statement really floored me! I never knew my partner could properly use the word "construed". He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

BV rec? Is this the best players who didn't make their HS team?

I wonder if this coach is somehow related to A1???
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Boys V rec - maybe that's your answer right there. Middle of Q3. A1 and B1 have been bumping in the post all night and some fouls have been called. All of a sudden, B1 punches A1 right in the mouth and knocks him down to the floor (actually, that's pretty impressive if you think about it). My partner, who is lead, jumps right in a keeps them separated. I run over (about the only time all night I actually ran) to help prevent any further action.

B1 is ejected for the flagrant and my partner goes over to report it. Before he can finish, coach A yells the following at him, "Why didn't you let my player have a chance to retaliate? That's only fair. You've got to call it both ways. (italics mine for emphasis)

At first, we both thought he was kidding because if it was a joke, it was pretty funny. But he wasn't. Here's my partner's response. "Coach, advocating violence here can certainly be construed as flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct which would carry an ejection and suspension. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt this time and assume you just weren't thinking straight. I trust you will not say another word on this subject."

That statement really floored me! I never knew my partner could properly use the word "construed". He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.
Wow, interesting play on words, and it wasn't from Dave! E-mail me details. Names, ranks, serial numbers. I love gossip!
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
No.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Wow, interesting play on words, and it wasn't from Dave! E-mail me details. Names, ranks, serial numbers. I love gossip!
Mark -- thanks for the gossip. I'm impressed with your partner. It must be the OSU influence. I know my son got a very good education there (and a very good partner!).

I hope your league will give some kind of reprimand to that coach. That statement was very, very unacceptable.

MerHapJammin’ SolRamaChrisKwanzHanuMasNukaDanZaaStice

to you and your family!
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Quote:
No.
Gosh Mark, it almost sounds like CYO!
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 06:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Quote:
No.
Gosh Mark, it almost sounds like CYO!
There are about 120 boys and 40 girls in this HS division of our local rec league. The boys are broken up into V and JV levels. Many of them are football players looking for something violent to do in the winter. Imagine a defensive cornerback guarding an offensive tackle. This is not uncommon.

The games are pretty rough, as you can imagine. In fact, in one game I called an illegal chop block on a player.

Frequently, both teams are in double bonus by the end of the first and the third quarters. In our lower grades (3-8), we restrict the teams to a maximum of eight players. We have to allow twelve per team in the boys HS division just due to the number who foul out each game. To make it even worse, the games are played in middle school gyms.

I usually bring at least three whistles, since I wear out about two per game.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The games are pretty rough, as you can imagine. In fact, in one game I called an illegal chop block on a player.
Is there such a thing as a LEGAL chop block? I've only been officiating football for 2 years, so I'm not sure if there's any chop blocks that are legal.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 06:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a LEGAL chop block? I've only been officiating football for 2 years, so I'm not sure if there's any chop blocks that are legal.
Yeah - we have a special rule for this league. A chop block is legal if the perpetrator's mother bakes me some muffins prior to the game, preferably lemon poppyseed with almonds.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
to you and your family! [/B]
__________________________________________________ ________
Say what?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Yeah - we have a special rule for this league. A chop block is legal if the perpetrator's mother bakes me some muffins prior to the game, preferably lemon poppyseed with almonds.
Make sure you skip the poppyseed ones when faced with an upcoming drug test.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Kinda similar....last night I had a tough charge call. After I report, I go back to put the ball in play and before we're set, number 10 from the offending team walks toward me and sez "You gotta be shidding me". So I whack him.

Coach to my partner: "Why'd he T him, he was wrong on that call so he sould take a little criticism"

WHAT?!

Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 07:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref

Make sure you skip the poppyseed ones when faced with an upcoming drug test.
Ironically, I always flunk them whether or not I've had the muffins. Weird.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:
to you and your family!
Say what? [/B]
It's the politically correct winter greeting that my son devised to send to all his Progressive Party friends and acquaintances.

It incorporates Christmas, Ramadan, Solstice, Kwanzaa, Hannukah, and I think the Jammin' thing refers to a Rastafarian holiday.

In order to say it properly you have to take a seminar at the community college.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Quote:
to you and your family!
Say what?
It's the politically correct winter greeting that my son devised to send to all his Progressive Party friends and acquaintances.

It incorporates Christmas, Ramadan, Solstice, Kwanzaa, Hannukah, and I think the Jammin' thing refers to a Rastafarian holiday.

In order to say it properly you have to take a seminar at the community college. [/B]
Or smoke a l'il ganja....