The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

HS Boys Shot Clock Question

HS boys shot clock (35 seconds). If one of the crew has definite knowledge of time left on the clock after a shot clock violation should time be put back on the clock? Situation that happened was the time on the game clock was 36.5 when the shot clock started. When the shot clock horn went off and the official blew his whistle (violation), then the game clock horn sounded. There was the difference of 1.5 seconds. The crew had different opinions, one thought that the quarter was over, one thought time should be put back on the clock and the other stayed neutral. What should have been the correct ruling?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Ref View Post
HS boys shot clock (35 seconds). If one of the crew has definite knowledge of time left on the clock after a shot clock violation should time be put back on the clock? Situation that happened was the time on the game clock was 36.5 when the shot clock started. When the shot clock horn went off and the official blew his whistle (violation), then the game clock horn sounded. There was the difference of 1.5 seconds. The crew had different opinions, one thought that the quarter was over, one thought time should be put back on the clock and the other stayed neutral. What should have been the correct ruling?
If the violation did not involve a try then I would put 1.5 back on the clock.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If the violation did not involve a try then I would put 1.5 back on the clock.
Agreed.

And, if the try was in the air when the shot-clock horn went off, then the violation isn't until the try ends -- so the time will be less than 1.5 seconds.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA rule = whatever time is left on the clock once the try fails to contact the ring and an official sounds his whistle.

NBA rule = 1.5 seconds on the game clock and ball awarded to opposing team.

HS rule = check with your state association.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 01:38am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
CA High School rules...

If there was no try involved, put the time back on the clock...
If a try is involved then you need to determin how much time based on when you think the try ended.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
CA High School rules...
Past this point nothing that you wrote can be substantiated by this official document: http://www.norcalofficials.org/pdf/CIF.pdf

In fact, this sentence can even be read to advocate the reverse of your stated position when there is no try for goal invovled: "This shot-clock horn shall not stop play unless recognized by an official’s whistle."

Until I am shown something definitive, I would stick with the NFHS rule that the game clock stops on the whistle.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 10:11pm.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Past this point nothing that you wrote cannot be substantiated by this official document: http://www.norcalofficials.org/pdf/CIF.pdf

In fact, this sentence can even be read to advocate the reverse of your stated position when there is no try for goal invovled: "This shot-clock horn shall not stop play unless recognized by an official’s whistle."

Until I am shown something definitive, I would stick with the NFHS rule that the game clock stops on the whistle.
The problem is that the people who write these rules addenda aren't thinking about NFHS rules and definitions when they write them. We see it all the time with "running clock" rules, "no zone defense rules" and other rules that are usually for lower level games. But even these shot clock rules for HS varsity have holes in them that just don't make sense.

The appropriate thing to do is get the actual ruling from a state/local interpreter and go by that. We can guess what someone meant when they wrote the addendum, but it's better to get something official.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 12:08pm
I drank what?

Quote:
Past this point nothing that you wrote cannot be substantiated by this official document: http://www.norcalofficials.org/pdf/CIF.pdf

Well, sure... That's true... A shot goes up with one second on the clock, before it hits the rim the horn goes off, ball hits rim defense gains possesion. Why would I blow my whistle to stop play?
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, sure... That's true... A shot goes up with one second on the clock, before it hits the rim the horn goes off, ball hits rim defense gains possesion. Why would I blow my whistle to stop play?
Nope. Try released with one second remaining on the shot clock and 3 seconds on the game clock, misses the ring and the horn sounds, but the officials fail to blow a whistle until the game clock expires.

That sentence says that the quarter is over as the shot clock horn doesn't stop play. It is no different than the officials failing to call a traveling violation with two seconds left. You can't go back and fix it.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
The problem is that the people who write these rules addenda aren't thinking about NFHS rules and definitions when they write them. We see it all the time with "running clock" rules, "no zone defense rules" and other rules that are usually for lower level games. But even these shot clock rules for HS varsity have holes in them that just don't make sense.

The appropriate thing to do is get the actual ruling from a state/local interpreter and go by that. We can guess what someone meant when they wrote the addendum, but it's better to get something official.
Did you notice who wrote that document? The guy is the state rules interpreter.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 12:07am
I drank what?

Quote:
Nope. Try released with one second remaining on the shot clock and 3 seconds on the game clock, misses the ring and the horn sounds, but the officials fail to blow a whistle until the game clock expires.

That sentence says that the quarter is over as the shot clock horn doesn't stop play. It is no different than the officials failing to call a traveling violation with two seconds left. You can't go back and fix it.
However in the OP it was stated that a violation was called so they would have definite knowledge of how much time should be remaining. Put time back on the clock. Unless you want your playoff run to end right there that is.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However in the OP it was stated that a violation was called so they would have definite knowledge of how much time should be remaining. Put time back on the clock. Unless you want your playoff run to end right there that is.
So if the officials blow the whistle with 1.2 seconds left on the game clock, but the shot clock expired with 2.7 seconds left, you would reset the game clock to 2.7? Is that the position you are advocating?
Old Sun Mar 07, 2010, 08:12am
I drank what?

Quote:
So if the officials blow the whistle with 1.2 seconds left on the game clock, but the shot clock expired with 2.7 seconds left, you would reset the game clock to 2.7? Is that the position you are advocating?
Not neccesisarily, but in the OP time expired and the official knew that there should still be time on the clock. In fact he knew exactly how much should be put on teh clock. So do it. In fact, even in your situation, it would probably be easier to support an official who put the time back on the clock as opposed to one who didn't. Early in the game you probably don't, if the outcome is decided you probably don't, but if the game is tight, you probably reset the game clock. And your assignor would be able to back that up.

Also, depends on the status of the ball at the time the SC horn sounds.

Last edited by w_sohl; Sun Mar 07, 2010 at 08:16am.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I'm confused...Are people saying that if the violation occurred when the shot clock horn sounded (ie there wasn't a shot attempt just before the shot clock expired) and the officials recognized the violation (blew the whistle and patted his/her head) and there was definite knowledge of how much time was on the game clock when the violation occurred that we shouldn't put the 1.5 seconds back on the game clock?

Just looking for clarification.
Old Mon Mar 08, 2010, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
I'm confused...Are people saying that if the violation occurred when the shot clock horn sounded (ie there wasn't a shot attempt just before the shot clock expired) and the officials recognized the violation (blew the whistle and patted his/her head) and there was definite knowledge of how much time was on the game clock when the violation occurred that we shouldn't put the 1.5 seconds back on the game clock?

Just looking for clarification.
If the horn sounds when the ball is in a player's hand (or otherwise not in flight on a try), then put the definite knowledge time back on the clock -- 1.5 seconds, in this instance.

I think the discussion is what to do if the ball is in flight on a try. Do we reset to "when the try ends" or "when the whistle blows" (in the specific CA rules example cited -- it's clear what to do in NCAA).