The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

My season done & question concerning scoreboard preferences

Saturday afternoon was the end of the 2009-1010 Basketball season for me. It was fun & entertaining with everything I've learned from on here.

I have a question for everyone. Concerning scoreboard setups, which do you prefer...a scoreboard that shows the most current player fouled with the tea fouls listed, or a scoreboard that has listed the 5 players (per team) in the game that has each players fouls & points listed as well as team fouls?

I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts are concerning the scoreboard preferences are as this last weekend I used a scorebaord that was the latter. Both my wife (CHSLadyEagle) & I have fallen head over heels over the latter design compared to the scoreboard that only shows the current player foul & team fouls (no player points, nor the current players on the court).
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Saturday afternoon was the end of the 2009-1010 Basketball season for me. It was fun & entertaining with everything I've learned from on here.

I have a question for everyone. Concerning scoreboard setups, which do you prefer...a scoreboard that shows the most current player fouled with the tea fouls listed, or a scoreboard that has listed the 5 players (per team) in the game that has each players fouls & points listed as well as team fouls?

I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts are concerning the scoreboard preferences are as this last weekend I used a scorebaord that was the latter. Both my wife (CHSLadyEagle) & I have fallen head over heels over the latter design compared to the scoreboard that only shows the current player foul & team fouls (no player points, nor the current players on the court).
As a fan, I love as much information as possible.

As an official, I'm concerned with time, score, and team fouls (not necessarily in that order)
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 02:42pm
TODO: creative title here

As an official, I just want a scoreboard that lists the total # of fouls on each team, so I know when we need to start shooting free throws. I don't care about the # of fouls on a specific player.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 02:45pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Utmost respect

I have an elevated sense of respect for Chseagle. I went to apply for a position as a census taker and flunked!!!
I was not able to count to 308,783,633 within the allotted time.
Congrats Chseagle for surviving the basketball season. Promise us you'll come back next November (and not a minute sooner).
BTW, are you familiar with any discussion boards that may appeal to a Secret Agent Census Man wannabe?
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I have an elevated sense of respect for Chseagle. I went to apply for a position as a census taker and flunked!!!
I was not able to count to 308,783,633 within the allotted time.
Congrats Chseagle for surviving the basketball season. Promise us you'll come back next November (and not a minute sooner).
BTW, are you familiar with any discussion boards that may appeal to a Secret Agent Census Man wannabe?
The Census Test isn't that hard to do. It's multiple-choice & very easy to read & understand.

I think I mentioned it before, but this is my 3rd operation for the U.S. Census Bureau. I assisted in 2000 with the Non-Response Follow-Up & Group Quarters operation. So far for the 2010 Census, I've assisted with the Address Canvassing Operation & have just started the Update/Leave Operation.

I'll do what I can to assist next year with basketball but right now it seems like that is questionable. Concerning the 4A Regionals, unless things change I'll probably be helping out next year.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were concerning their preferences for the scoreboard setup as both scoreboard setups I mentioned show the number of fouls for both the player & team. The primary difference is that one shows only one player & their fouls with the team fouls, & the other one shows all active players on the court with their fouls, points, & team fouls.

Concerning the scoreboard setup used this past weekend, it also had a built-in timeout/intermission timer & automatically sounded the warning horns when needed. Also the scorebaord showed how many timeouts each time had left overall, on the control panel the full & 30 sec. timeouts were kept track of separately.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just concerned that with a scoreboard like that you won't have time to focus on your primary duties of watching for illegal hairbands and evaluating officials.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a preference between the two scoreboards. Personal fouls for each player in the game is gravy and more for the fans. As long as team fouls are kept track of, I'm set.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 03:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post

You have some extra $$$ to donate to the area schools?
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have different pre-games depending on the type of scoreboard?
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I would like a scoreboard that would allow us to show a replay of every play with which a coach disagrees with our call, also automatically showing a printed graphic of the applicable rule. At the end of each replay, the screen would then read, "COACH IS A DOOFUS - AGAIN".
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm probably going off the norm here but I like the scoreboards that let me know the foul situation for each player on the floor. It does give me the heads up with who has 3 or 4 fouls and that awareness is important to me. However, if they briefly post the individual foul after each foul, 99% of the time I pick up on it and there is never a problem. I know I'm going to get flack for saying it but awareness of players in foul trouble is important to me. However, a foul is a foul.

-Josh
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I would like a scoreboard that would allow us to show a replay of every play with which a coach disagrees with our call, also automatically showing a printed graphic of the applicable rule. At the end of each replay, the screen would then read, "COACH IS A DOOFUS - AGAIN".
Would have burned out the screen from overuse in the travel ball tournament worked last weekend. One example: Same assistant coach who got T'ed up for dissing partner over a call the night before comes back the next day to complain that an opposing inbounder "switched his pivot foot" and also wanted to know why he couldn't get a timeout as a held ball situation developed. Sigh.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
and also wanted to know why he couldn't get a timeout as a held ball situation developed. Sigh.
I have to ask, how did it develop?
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I know I'm going to get flack for saying it but awareness of players in foul trouble is important to me. However, a foul is a foul.-Josh
You realize these two statements are contradictory. Please explain why "awareness of players in foul trouble is important to me." Please don't say you are less likely to call a foul on a player depending on how many fouls that player has at that time.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You realize these two statements are contradictory. Please explain why "awareness of players in foul trouble is important to me." Please don't say you are less likely to call a foul on a player depending on how many fouls that player has at that time.
Is there something wrong with being prepared for the horn to sound indicating 5 fouls?