The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 08:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I believe the initial call was on the player who was punched. If you look, you'll see she grabbed and threw the Baylor player's arm.
Yabut......did Griner reach in and clamp the offensive player's arm before she got thrown away? Should that have been the initial foul...holding on Griner?

And further to that, did anything before this incident happen that might have gotten Griner ready to go off? Was she being roughed up? Were both players going at each other before? Sometimes you need the whole backstory to come to a decision re: properly assigning right vs. wrong.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Yabut......did Griner reach in and clamp the offensive player's arm before she got thrown away? Should that have been the initial foul...holding on Griner?

And further to that, did anything before this incident happen that might have gotten Griner ready to go off? Was she being roughed up? Were both players going at each other before? Sometimes you need the whole backstory to come to a decision re: properly assigning right vs. wrong.
She punched the player in the face and broke her nose...that is the WRONG here. Maybe the NCAA needs to rethink the automatic 1 game suspension and make it an automatic 5 games and then a player might think twice about being stupid.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 08:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
One of my trainer/evaluators once said - if a situation like this develops, you've got to ask yourself - "What did you miss that may have caused this or helped it happen?"

True 100% of the time? Maybe not.

Just sayin.........
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockitoff View Post
The player getting punched in the video is #1...later on the player shown w/ the gauze packed up her nose is #50...did she have to change jerseys?
Yes, because of blood on it. Changed, made her FTs and then took the rest of the night off.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
She punched the player in the face and broke her nose...that is the WRONG here. Maybe the NCAA needs to rethink the automatic 1 game suspension and make it an automatic 5 games and then a player might think twice about being stupid.
And good on Baylor for adding a game to the suspension.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
One of my trainer/evaluators once said - if a situation like this develops, you've got to ask yourself - "What did you miss that may have caused this or helped it happen?"

True 100% of the time? Maybe not.

Just sayin.........
I think this is great advice as officials look at how they might help prevent such an action from occurring again.

However, I don't think it is at all applicable to how the NCAA should hand down discipline. Whether she felt like she was getting "roughed up" or not, her actions were unacceptable. I'm not saying that this is what you were implying with your post, but I'm just throwing in my $0.02.

For those who might be interested, the crew consisted of Lawson Newton, Sue Blauch, and Gina Cross.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 07:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I guess she is the female Kermit Washington. Rightly or wrongly. I know Washington was extremely remorseful and later became friends with Rudy T. But whenever his name is brought up "The Punch" is the first thing to enter my mind. My guess is that she'll have to work very hard to not be thought of in that manner.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

I have a lot of respect for what Kim Mulkey has done in the game of Women's basketball! This decision to suspend Griner one additional game on top of the NCAA's mandated suspension will cost her some of that respect.Mulkey needed to send a message, SHE DIDN'T!, So the BIG 12 should have! If she's my player its not only the NCAA minimum suspension but all remaining games and functions.