The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Baylor @ Texas Tech Punch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57425-baylor-texas-tech-punch.html)

NathanRT Thu Mar 04, 2010 06:56pm

Baylor @ Texas Tech Punch

Didn't see this posted yet...

Looks like the officials got in there quickly and kept it from turning into an all out brawl. News reports said the benches cleared but I can't tell from the video, they don't mention any ejections for leaving the bench. Is the NCAA rule not as strict as HS?

She's been suspended a minimum of one game, maybe more to follow.

Baylor's Brittney Griner faces punishment after throwing punch vs. Texas Tech - Campus Rivalry: College Football & Basketball News, Recruiting, Game Picks, and More - USATODAY.com

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:19pm

My question is this: what was called on the initial foul?

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 666366)

No team control signal given by L or C......

APG Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 666366)

I believe the initial call was on the player who was punched. If you look, you'll see she grabbed and threw the Baylor player's arm.

Mark Padgett Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:13pm

I went to a girls basketball game and a hockey game broke out. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...mages/slap.gif

Juulie Downs Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:47pm

I saw the clip, didn't see a foul called on the initial play, but it's hard to know. It looks as though their arms just got tangled, but then white got impatient and shoved black. It was silly of black to retaliate, since she was in no way inconvenienced by the play. I mean, the ball didn't come in, and she got right back into position. Just goes to show that women can be equal to men in hot-headedness.:rolleyes:

BktBallRef Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 666376)
Just goes to show that women can be equal to men in hot-headedness.:rolleyes:

Equal? Right. :p

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 666372)
I believe the initial call was on the player who was punched. If you look, you'll see she grabbed and threw the Baylor player's arm.

Yeah, what I meant was, I wonder what that call was. Did they go common foul? At minimum, it looked intentional.

JRutledge Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14pm

There was a foul given before the punch. I cannot say what was actually called as the clip did not continue to show what happened otherwise.

Peace

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 666367)
No team control signal given by L or C......

It looked like the L's hand was up for the foul, can't tell on the T, prior to the punch. They were going to get the first one, but they didn't have prelims (making me think maybe double whistle) before the punch. After the punch, they were a little busy.

JRutledge Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 666396)
It looked like the L's hand was up for the foul, can't tell on the T, prior to the punch. They were going to get the first one, but they didn't have prelims (making me think maybe double whistle) before the punch. After the punch, they were a little busy.

You briefly see him with his arm up before the punch took place.

Peace

knockitoff Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35pm

#1 or #50 ?

The player getting punched in the video is #1...later on the player shown w/ the gauze packed up her nose is #50...did she have to change jerseys?

APG Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 666393)
Yeah, what I meant was, I wonder what that call was. Did they go common foul? At minimum, it looked intentional.

I've been trying to find a play-by-play of the game, but there doesn't seem to be one available online. If I had to guess, I'd say they initially went with a common foul as both the C and L didn't go up with the X. After the punch and benches clearing, I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded it to an intentional.

NathanRT Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:19pm

It's official, she'll sit out a total of two games, the last regular season game and the first round of the Big 12 tournament.

Baylor's Griner suspended two games | College Sports Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

GoodwillRef Fri Mar 05, 2010 06:43am

2 games suspension...what a joke! How many games would Baylor tack on if this was the 6th game of the year and not this close to the Big 12 and NCAA Tournaments? I am guessing she might have gotten 5-10 if it were earlier in the season.