The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 10:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow It's that time again - almost

With the season almost over, I guess it's time to start thinking about our annual "rule changes we'd like to see" thread. I'll start.

1) coaches must remain in the parking lot
2) cute moms must dress appropriately (based on my definition)

3) parents (except cute moms) must remain in the parking lot
4) any player arguing with an official will be dealt with harshly

I think that's a good start.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Wed Mar 03, 2010 at 10:33pm.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

After one season, I definitely agree with those who don't want coaches to be able to request time out.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Simplify the backcourt rule. I've heard several candidates on this forum.

Basically, the whole team control plus last to touch plus first to touch is
too complicated for howler monkeys and parents.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 10:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Remove 4.19.8 C from the book and let the situation work itself out.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Shootouts instead of Overtime
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 11:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Shootouts instead of Overtime
They already have this rule in Alaska.

Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 12:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
With the season almost over, I guess it's time to start thinking about our annual "rule changes we'd like to see" thread. I'll start.
2) cute moms must dress appropriately (based on my definition)
Cute moms need to quit bringing their husbands to the games.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

All schools must have the rules for "3 in the key" taped to the doors and included in the programs.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

- Assistant coaches are required to wear a large scarlet A on their shirt and a name badge reading "Mr (or Mrs) Irrelevant".
- Only a player on the floor may request a time out, and must say please and thank you. (OK maybe I'm kidding on the please and thank you part)
- The game begins with an alternating possession throw in by the team with the best looking moms as determined by the referee. Overtime begins with whoever has the arrow at the end of regulation time.
- Overtime period is two minutes. If the game is still tied the coaches arm wrestle at center court. (I'm open to the best looking moms wrestling as well)
- The coaching box should be bound by an electric pet fence and the HC must wear the collar. Step out of the box - get a charge. The charge increases in frequency for each violation of the boundry. (Pitino would be unconscious by the end of the first half, unless he apologizes for another indiscretion)
- Every coach and player should participate once per year in the Special Olympics basketball tournament as a volunteer scorer or clock operator to understand the spirit of competition, the joy of simple accompishment and to learn just how silly they often sound when they complain about the trivial.
- The statement "He (or she) has done that all year and no one called it ..." is a technical foul.

Last edited by ref3808; Thu Mar 04, 2010 at 09:07am.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Why even flip a coin? Give the visiting team the ball to start the game, set the arrow accordingly. Use the arrow for any extra periods.

The jump is completely unnecessary and many times rewards a team for having a taller center.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
- Assistant coaches are required to wear a large scarlet A on their shirt and a name badge reading "Mr (or Mrs) Irrelevant"
I used to think this also. I wouldn't even give them the time of day before a game (just talk to the head coach) or during a game. Then I read the article in Referee Magazine last month about how they can help your game. It made some very good points about assistant coaches and their role in game management.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
I used to think this also. I wouldn't even give them the time of day before a game (just talk to the head coach) or during a game. Then I read the article in Referee Magazine last month about how they can help your game. It made some very good points about assistant coaches and their role in game management.
I always talk to the assistants -- I let them know whose ball it is, will answer good questions during timeouts, will work with them as best I can. I *will not* tolerate sniping or comments during a live ball -- the mild stuff I ignore from a head coach. That's the main difference for me.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I always talk to the assistants -- I let them know whose ball it is, will answer good questions during timeouts, will work with them as best I can. I *will not* tolerate sniping or comments during a live ball -- the mild stuff I ignore from a head coach. That's the main difference for me.
Last week, metro league game, 6G girls, HC and AC are both standing and shouting (conliciting) instructions to players. AC frequently travels to the end line to shout defensive instructions. During dead ball I approach their bench and request that they both come over. I ask (nicely) which one of you is HC? They answer "We both are HC's, we do everything together, we pick the team together, we make up the plays together, we talk to the parents together, we drive to the game together ...". I compliment them on their willingness to do so but explain that, during the game, only one can be HC. They then look at each other and give me the "well we've done this all year" speech. I don't buy it. They then can't decide which one is the HC. I point to one of them, tell him he's just been named head coach for the day, you may use the coaches box, and tell the other to sit down. I'm walking away and their wives are sitting close by laughing and one says to me "maybe you can get him to make a decision, I can't".
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Why even flip a coin? Give the visiting team the ball to start the game, set the arrow accordingly. Use the arrow for any extra periods.

The jump is completely unnecessary and many times rewards a team for having a taller center.
Not much of a reward, you have to admit, and it's a fine bit of tradition to keep in the game. Also, what would the media say instead of "tip off at 7:30"?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 11:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Not much of a reward, you have to admit, and it's a fine bit of tradition to keep in the game. Also, what would the media say instead of "tip off at 7:30"?
It's just a method for putting the ball in play. It's why I roll my eyes when clinicians say it's "so crucial" to have a great jump ball and sets the tone for the game. Know the rules surrounding it, sure. Make sure you're alert for quick action after, sure. Get a call if the ball shoots out of bounds, sure.

Worry about it being the perfect toss? Puh-lease. Call it back if the toss is in the next county, but rejumping a marginally bad toss looks worse than playing on.

Others may have different opinions, but frankly, it's just a silly little nod to tradition and that's about it.