View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

8 OT playoff game - a "Padgett Special"!

from the Chicago Suntimes:

HIGH SCHOOL ROUNDUP: Nazareth KO's N. Lawndale in 8 OTs
March 3, 2010BY BEN MEYER-ABBOTT

Ryan Powers made two free throws with 12 seconds left in the eighth overtime to seal a 59-55 regional semifinal victory Tuesday for host Nazareth over Class 3A powerhouse North Lawndale.
The eight extra sessions tied the IHSA record for overtimes in a state playoff game -- set by Carthage and Dallas City in a 1994 Class A regional -- and is one shy of the all-time record of nine overtimes played by Dwight and Reddick in a 1964 regular-season game.
The foul shots and the win were sweet redemption for Powers after he missed two free throws with .6 seconds to play in the second overtime that would have won the game for the Roadrunners (13-14).
''I wanted to redeem myself and give us the chance to win the game,'' said Powers, who had 12 points. ''I knew if we wanted to win this game I had to stay up and stay positive. The most important thing was staying poised.''
Paul Bunch (22 points) led North Lawndale (19-8), which was without seven players -- including Jermaine Winfield -- who were ineligible. The 7-footer was a key component to the Phoenix's overtime strategy of winning the tip and holding for the last shot.
But Powers and Nazareth were unfazed.
''Coach [John] Bonk told us to buckle down and play defense like we know how,'' Powers said. ''We've been playing our best basketball, and we've proved to everyone we can play with anyone in the state.''
A.J. Ryan had 17 points, Patrick Kelly added 14 and Alex Wilkinson contributed nine for Nazareth.