The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 07, 2008, 08:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Fight during "good game" postgame handshake

Hi guys,

One of the umpires in our assn. witnessed a fight in the handshake line after a game was over. Can an umpire eject the players? My question is do we have an OBR rule that states when the umpire's jurisdiction is over? I've looked through the MLB rules and I can't find when the umpire's jurisdiction is over. Please help me out on this...cite a rule that would support an ejection...if there isn't one...then please state that as well...I did consult the rulebook..but the teams play tomorrow and I'd like a rule to support an ejection if there is one.

Thank you,
John
Old Sat Jun 07, 2008, 09:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Hi guys,

One of the umpires in our assn. witnessed a fight in the handshake line after a game was over. Can an umpire eject the players? My question is do we have an OBR rule that states when the umpire's jurisdiction is over? I've looked through the MLB rules and I can't find when the umpire's jurisdiction is over. Please help me out on this...cite a rule that would support an ejection...if there isn't one...then please state that as well...I did consult the rulebook..but the teams play tomorrow and I'd like a rule to support an ejection if there is one.

Thank you,
John
I wonder how he witnessed a fight as he's walking off the field (with his back to the players).
Old Sat Jun 07, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

The league should handle the suspensions/penalties after consulting with the umpire(s) witnessing the fight.

I've always been told an umpire's jurisdiction end when the game has concluded and he's left the field.
Old Sat Jun 07, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you,
John
Quoting from BRD on the subject of EJECTION: POST-GAME: "OBR: No provision"

It would be an even bigger stretch to eject tomorrow for what was done today, that was not ejected today. Advise the league administrators of what happened and let them handle it, and if they don't be aware there may be a flareup and deal with it.
Old Sat Jun 07, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Hi guys,

... My question is do we have an OBR rule that states when the umpire's jurisdiction is over? ...

Thank you,
John
johnnyg,

See Part V in the series of articles linked here:

The Divine Right of Umpires

Oh, and as Rich suggests, when the game is over, leave.

JM
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Yes, when the game is over, leave.

However, perhaps the gate was a ways away? I believe that an umpire's jurisdiction ends when he steps outside the field (if they can appeal to us up to that point, that seems like the point of no return). If there was a rucus and I was walking off the field, I would probably give a glimpse over my shoulder to see what was up.

I say make mental notes if you are still on the field of participants and when things simmer down, leave. I wouldn't interject myself into the proceedings. I would be on the horn to the assignor so he could contact the league of who was involved and in what ways.

Yes, the crews back may have been turned. But if there is lots of yelling, I can see them having a quick reaction of turning around to see what was up.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 08:43am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Yes, when the game is over, leave.

However, perhaps the gate was a ways away? I believe that an umpire's jurisdiction ends when he steps outside the field (if they can appeal to us up to that point, that seems like the point of no return). If there was a rucus and I was walking off the field, I would probably give a glimpse over my shoulder to see what was up.

I say make mental notes if you are still on the field of participants and when things simmer down, leave. I wouldn't interject myself into the proceedings. I would be on the horn to the assignor so he could contact the league of who was involved and in what ways.

Yes, the crews back may have been turned. But if there is lots of yelling, I can see them having a quick reaction of turning around to see what was up.
That is basically what happened. It wasn't me...it was one of my umpire colleagues. So there's no provision in the rules...then that is simple. Thanks guys...and by the way, I agree, when the game is over, I'm outta there.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 08:44am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Quoting from BRD on the subject of EJECTION: POST-GAME: "OBR: No provision"

It would be an even bigger stretch to eject tomorrow for what was done today, that was not ejected today. Advise the league administrators of what happened and let them handle it, and if they don't be aware there may be a flareup and deal with it.
In the NFL, NBA, MLB...there are always suspensions that happened after the fact...even in situations where no penalty was called...but that comes down from the league.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2008, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the NFL, NBA, MLB...there are always suspensions that happened after the fact...even in situations where no penalty was called...but that comes down from the league.
Like you said, league penalty, not something for the umpires on the day after to call.