View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I've said this in games I work and I'd like to know how many of you agree with me:

"A basketball game played without the shot clock is not basketball.It is simply a game of keep away!"

Jeffpea,
Can you find the box score for this game?It would be kind of interesting (or sickening) to see what the scoring breakdown was per period!
More info in this article.

Boys basketball: Nazareth 59, North Lawndale 55, 8OT
Boys basketball: Nazareth still standing after 8-overtime win over North Lawndale

By Mike Helfgot Special to the Tribune 5:56 p.m. CST, March 3, 2010

Time after overtime, Nazareth sat back and let North Lawndale hold the ball for the "final" shot.

It took the equivalent of two full games, but Nazareth's patience was rewarded with one of the biggest victories in school history.

March Madness was at its wackiest Tuesday night in LaGrange Park, where the ironically named Roadrunners outlasted third-seeded North Lawndale 59-55 in eight overtimes for their second 3A regional victory in as many days. They advance to the 3A regional championship Friday.

"It was kind of frustrating to sit back there and watch them hold the ball," said AJ Ryan, who led No. 13 seed Nazareth with 17 points. "I just wanted to play, go up and down instead of just standing there. It was getting kind of ridiculous, but after the game there was no better feeling in the world.

"This is the biggest win any of us have been a part of and the biggest win Naz has had in a long time."

The eight overtimes equaled the record for a state playoff game and is one shy of the state record set in 1964 by Dwight and Reddick.

North Lawndale (19-8), which was playing without ineligible star Jermaine Winfield, will not advance downstate for the first time since 2005.

The Phoenix had more than its share of chances, easily winning the overtime jump balls with 7-foot center Paul Bunch (22 points). The score was knotted at 40-40 at the end of regulation and 46-46 after one overtime before North Lawndale took the air out of the ball.

Neither team scored in the second or third overtimes, then a basket by each made it 48-48 after four extra sessions. It was 48-48 after five overtimes and again after six, then an offensive explosion in the seventh overtime resulted in a 53-53 tie.

Six overtimes after he missed two chances to win the game from the free-throw line, Ryan Powers (12 points) redeemed himself with two free throws that gave Nazareth a 59-55 lead with 12 seconds left.