The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Murphy's Law in Mass

Afriend from Massachusetts sent me this link.
Playoff game, kid gets a T for breaking the plane, itg it's a T I assume for touching the ball during a throw-in. Gets whacked again, apparently for unsporting conduct. Officials let kid play despite technicals, he scores 21 in a 16 point win. State association has some sort of rule where ejection brings automatic suspension, so not only was good for the game where he got called, he's good for the next game unless state group invokes its authority to levy suspension.

Sounds like crawl in a cave stuff to me.

English boys pull away to reach Division 1 North semifinals
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 09:27am
In Memoriam

If the story is correct, it sounds like the officials mistakenly assessed a team "T" for touching the ball in the thrower's hands instead of correctly charging the "T" to the player.

But....sometimes these stories aren't factual.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
If the story is correct, it sounds like the officials mistakenly assessed a team "T" for touching the ball in the thrower's hands instead of correctly charging the "T" to the player.

But....sometimes these stories aren't factual.
What JR said.......

It's possible that the T was for breaking the plane after a previous team warning for delay, in which case it is a team technical and not charged to the individual.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 10:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
It's possible that the T was for breaking the plane after a previous team warning for delay, in which case it is a team technical and not charged to the individual.
What TimTaylor said......

You never really know with newspaper accounts.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 12:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Why would the officials call so many fouls? Don't they understand about "offensive flow?"

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

...or he contacted the thrower for an intentional foul instead of a technical foul and the writer didn't know the difference.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 12:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
...or he contacted the thrower for an intentional foul instead of a technical foul and the writer didn't know the difference.
Since it was only the 1st quarter this seems very plausible.
Old Mon Mar 01, 2010, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Seems kinda odd that only the assistant coach is quoted. Thought I was eventually going to read the head coach was tossed.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Update

Got more details. The fouls were for 1) unsporting conduct and 2)for touching or dislodging the ball on a throw-in. Apparently the calling official said he didn't want to eject the kid for the second T so he didn't! The state association has a rule that disqualification for two technicals means a suspension, so they rsuspended him for the next playoff game anyway.

This all apparently happened in the first quarter and the kid went on to score a boatload. The opposing coach must be beside himself.

Tournament officials, too.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

From whom did you get those details?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Ah, yes, here it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Apparently the calling official said he didn't want to eject the kid for the second T so he didn't! T
Found the applicable rule:

10-3-PENALTY-NOTE-EXCEPTION: If the official who charges a single flagrant technical foul or the second technical foul isn't in the mood to disqualify the offending player, then 10-3-PENALTY-NOTE doesn't apply, and the player may continue playing.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Got more details. The fouls were for 1) unsporting conduct and 2)for touching or dislodging the ball on a throw-in. Apparently the calling official said he didn't want to eject the kid for the second T so he didn't! The state association has a rule that disqualification for two technicals means a suspension, so they suspended him for the next playoff game anyway.

This all apparently happened in the first quarter and the kid went on to score a boatload. The opposing coach must be beside himself.

Oh my.......
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
Found the applicable rule:

10-3-PENALTY-NOTE-EXCEPTION: If the official who charges a single flagrant technical foul or the second technical foul isn't in the mood to disqualify the offending player, then 10-3-PENALTY-NOTE doesn't apply, and the player may continue playing.
I'm in a particularly gullible mood this morning and don't have my books in the office; I assume this is a joke lol...
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got more details. The fouls were for 1) unsporting conduct and 2)for touching or dislodging the ball on a throw-in. Apparently the calling official said he didn't want to eject the kid for the second T so he didn't! The state association has a rule that disqualification for two technicals means a suspension, so they rsuspended him for the next playoff game anyway.

Can you get a follow up on this? In my neck of the woods, that official could be toast for any tournament games in the coming years.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Can you get a follow up on this? In my neck of the woods, that official could be toast for any tournament games in the coming years.
If true, that might be correct for most necks of the woods.

The bottom line is that you should just follow the rules in cases like this. Never inject your own personal beliefs. Let the governing body decide what they want to do next. That's their job, not our's.

JMO....