The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Mass High School Tourney problems

I have been lurking on this board for a long time and came across this story. What do you think would be the proper decision?

link
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...lbb&position=3

Double dip for Ipswich
By Dan Ventura
Friday, February 29, 2008 - Added 13h ago
+ Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email + Bio Boston Herald Sports Reporter
Danny Ventura has been the Herald's authority on high school sports for 15 years. He also covers the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics and college sports.
E-mail Printable (0) Comments Text size Share (5) Rate
North girls basketball tournament director Tony Romano insisted no one from the MIAA issued any edicts declaring Ipswich the winner of Tuesday’s controversial 52-51 loss to Watertown.

The story making the rounds was that the MIAA admitted an error was made in the final seconds of the game and awarded Ipswich the victory but stopped short of allowing the Tigers to play in tomorrow night’s Division 3 North quarterfinal against Winthrop.

“I am the tournament director and I haven’t issued any statements,” said Romano. “The only people above me are the MIAA directors and they have not issed any statements on this. It would be inappropriate for us to review any judgments made by game officials because they are subjective.”

The craziness began when Lyndsay French hit a 3-point shot with 3.8 seconds to play, which would have given the Tigers a 54-52 lead. The officials waved the shot off, saying Ipswich coach Mandy Zegarowski called a timeout prior to the basket.

The problem began when more than three seconds elapsed between French’s basket and the timeout, leaving the Tigers with just 0.3 seconds on the clock. Despite the protests of Zegarowski, officials refused to put time back on the clock.

Amber Smith then scored off the inbounds play to give the Tigers what would have been a 53-52 win.

The game officials, however, ruled Smith’s shot was released after the buzzer, citing the tap rule, and the Red Raiders had the upset.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy
The craziness began when Lyndsay French hit a 3-point shot with 3.8 seconds to play, which would have given the Tigers a 54-52 lead. The officials waved the shot off, saying Ipswich coach Mandy Zegarowski called a timeout prior to the basket.
I guarantee you that no official made that statement in bold.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have been lurking on this board for a long time and came across this story. What do you think would be the proper decision?

link

Double dip for Ipswich
By Dan Ventura
+ Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email + Bio Boston Herald Sports Reporter
Danny Ventura has been the Herald's authority on high school sports for 15 years. He also covers the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics and college sports.
North girls basketball tournament director Tony Romano insisted no one from the MIAA issued any edicts declaring Ipswich the winner of Tuesday’s controversial 52-51 loss to Watertown.

The story making the rounds was that the MIAA admitted an error was made in the final seconds of the game and awarded Ipswich the victory but stopped short of allowing the Tigers to play in tomorrow night’s Division 3 North quarterfinal against Winthrop.

“I am the tournament director and I haven’t issued any statements,” said Romano. “The only people above me are the MIAA directors and they have not issed any statements on this. It would be inappropriate for us to review any judgments made by game officials because they are subjective.”

The problem began when more than three seconds elapsed between French’s basket and the timeout, leaving the Tigers with just 0.3 seconds on the clock. Despite the protests of Zegarowski, officials refused to put time back on the clock.

Amber Smith then scored off the inbounds play to give the Tigers what would have been a 53-52 win.

The game officials, however, ruled Smith’s shot was released after the buzzer, citing the tap rule, and the Red Raiders had the upset.
Wow, 3.5 seconds to "MENTALLY" process the timeout and getting air in the whistle, who was calling that game?
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If coach requested a timeout prior to the release of the shot, it wouldn't count. Good call.
If no official saw time run off the clock after the whistle, then the officials cannot, by rule, add time to the clock. Good call.
With .3 seconds left, a player cannot catch and shoot, by rule. Good call.
Three for three.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Wow, 3.5 seconds to "MENTALLY" process the timeout and getting air in the whistle, who was calling that game?
Chances are the timer didn't hear the whistle due to crowd noise, and none of the officials saw any time come off the clock because they were watching action. Isn't MA using 2-whistle crews early in the postseason due to their inane postgame handshake requirement?
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Chances are the timer didn't hear the whistle due to crowd noise, and none of the officials saw any time come off the clock because they were watching action. Isn't MA using 2-whistle crews early in the postseason due to their inane postgame handshake requirement?
Do you think these officials stuck around for the post-game shake?
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can buy that. But... late in the game, shoot, anytime during the game, every time that whistle gets blown somebody (an official) needs to be looking at the clock.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I was thinking the same thing. Shoot when I first saw the title of the OP I thought somewhere in the post would be reference to the handshake monitoring.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

from the story it really sounds like the refs messed up and let too much time run off the clock
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
from the story it really sounds like the refs messed up and let too much time run off the clock
Well, that just settles it, doesn't it?
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I can buy that. But... late in the game, shoot, anytime during the game, every time that whistle gets blown somebody (an official) needs to be looking at the clock.
Agreed, but there will be times when, for whatever reason, it doesn't happen. It's unfortunate that it happened here at the very end of the game.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

link

Double dip for Ipswich
By Dan Ventura

I wonder if they stuck around for the teams' handshakes?

addendum............just read previous posts. I couldn't wait to post.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Let me check my magic 8 ball.

"Hell no!"
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That finally got resolved. 3-person crews were assigned to all state tournament games.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

they did stay for the beer and cookies the fans served after the game