The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Finally Grew A Pair ...

Right or wrong. Good or bad. I don't usually give high school coaches technical fouls. I have a very long fuse compared to most. It's not because I'm trying to stay on the coach's good side. Here in Connecticut coaches vote for state tournament officials and I'm no where near that caliber of official, so I can give a crap about whether they vote for me, or not. Maybe it's because I coached middle school basketball for over twenty-five years and know how frustrating their job can be. Maybe it's because I am so concentrating on what's happening on the floor that I don't hear, or see, what's going on off the floor. Maybe after twenty-nine seasons of doing this my skin has gotten thicker, and I've learned how to "tune out" the coaches. I would rather defuse problems with various game management techniques, including, but not limited to, warnings. My last technical foul to a high school coach was in 2006-07.

When I do charge technicals to coaches, it's usually because they are distracting me, which is pretty hard to do. As I stated above, I usually concentrate on what's happening on, not off, the floor, so when a coach starts distracting me, it's usually time for a technical, and when that happens, I'm more than willing to oblige.

Yesterday. Prep school. Visiting coach seems displeased with some of my foul calls and non calls, questioning why a foul "down there" is not a foul "up here". He's not distracting me, and after several times up and down the court, I'm not close enough to address his questions. All of a sudden he yells loudly, "That's ridiculous", at the same time I'm reporting a foul against his team to the table.

Whack, without ever distracting me, or swearing at me. What was I thinking as I was standing opposite table, at the division line, waiting for my partner to administer the free throws? Believe it, or not, I was thinking to myself, "Well, those guys on the Forum will certainly be pleased that I "took care of business". Seriously.

Also, game management was 100% easier after that technical. It certainly made the game better and smoother. Also, it felt good, real good. I hope that this isn't addictive, because I have an addictive personality.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 02:08pm.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 01:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Who is "Fibnally"?
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1) Visiting coach seems displeased with some of my foul calls and non calls, questioning why a foul "down there" is not a foul "up here". He's not distracting me, and after several times up and down the court, I'm not close enough to address his questions.

2)Believe it, or not, I was thinking to myself, "Well, those guys on the Forum will certainly be pleased that I "took care of business". Seriously.

3) Also, game management was 100% easier after that technical. It certainly made the game better and smoother.
1) That statement is directly questioning your integrity. He's telling you that basically you're favoring the other team. He gets to say that once...maximum....not several times.

2) We're pleased.

3) And that's exactly why the technical fouls should always be judiciously used. They're just another call to be used to keep the game moving and under control.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 01:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Who is "Fibnally"?
The Irish guy who has been participating in some kind of hormone experiment?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 02:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Close Calls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) That statement is directly questioning your integrity. He's telling you that basically you're favoring the other team. He gets to say that once...maximum....not several times.
No, I only heard it once or twice, just never got a chance to answer his questions, by being close enough to him, after several "trips" up and down the court. I believe that he was questioning the competence of my calls rather than my integrity. I would of liked to respond to him, because both the calls he was referring to were actually very similar, except one involved no displacement, and the other involved displacement. Of course, he never gave me a chance to answer is questions, unless you consider my whack a response.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 02:50pm.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 02:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fixed It, Thanks ...

Quote:
Who is "Fibnally"?
It's a new variety of rose (rosa testiculus), with two flowers on each stem.

Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 02:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No, I only heard it once or twice, just never got a chance to answer his questions, by being close enough to him, after several "trips" up and down the court. I believe that he was questioning my competence rather than my integrity.
Gee, that's so much better. He only questioned your competence once or twice.

He gets to do that once also, Billy, imo. You have 2 choices:
1) Whack
or
2) Warn and whack.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 02:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"May the sewers of Rangoon back up into your breakfast."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Gee, that's so much better. He only questioned your competence once or twice.
If I T'ed up coaches every time they questioned the competence of some of my calls I'd be whacked out. They always think that they know the rule better, or the intent of the rule better, or had a better look, than me. All coaches believe that they're all-knowing, all-competent, omnipresent, and infallible. Kind'a like Carnac the Magnificent.

Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 02:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Totally OT

Quote:
Kind'a like Carnac the Magnificent.
My favorite:

Carnac: "UCLA"
Envelope: "What do you see when the smog lifts?"

Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 03:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Where The Sun Don't Shine ...

Quote:
This is exactly what the coach looked like that I whacked yesterday. He told me that the envelope had my check in it and that I had better start making better calls "or else". I told him where to shove that envelope, and it wasn't in my pocket.

Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 03:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
If I T'ed up coaches every time they questioned the competence of some of my calls I'd be whacked out. They always think that they know the rule better, or the intent of the rule better, or had a better look, than me. All coaches believe that they're all-knowing, all-competent, omnipresent, and infallible. Kind'a like Carnac the Magnificent.
Or Diebler.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 03:50pm
Huck Finn

I have some things to think about when it comes to giving coaches technical fouls and your post. IMO, a coaches job is one of the most helpless in basketball because they can only give instruction and not actually do what they would like done on the court. Having said that, a coach still has no excuse for certain behavior and that behavior should be addressed. I'm not saying call a T, but the behavior cannot be ignored.

Quote:
Right or wrong. Good or bad. I don't usually give high school coaches technical fouls. I have a very long fuse compared to most. It's not because I'm trying to stay on the coach's good side. Here in Connecticut coaches vote for state tournament officials and I'm no where near that caliber of official, so I can give a crap about whether they vote for me, or not. Maybe it's because I coached middle school basketball for over twenty-five years and know how frustrating their job can be. Maybe it's because I am so concentrating on what's happening on the floor that I don't hear, or see, what's going on off the floor. Maybe after twenty-nine seasons of doing this my skin has gotten thicker, and I've learned how to "tune out" the coaches. I would rather defuse problems with various game management techniques, including, but not limited to, warnings. My last technical foul to a high school coach was in 2006-07.

Yesterday. Prep school. Visiting coach seems displeased with some of my foul calls and non calls, questioning why a foul "down there" is not a foul "up here". He's not distracting me, and after several times up and down the court, I'm not close enough to address his questions. All of a sudden he yells loudly, "That's ridiculous", at the same time I'm reporting a foul against his team to the table.

Also, game management was 100% easier after that technical. It certainly made the game better and smoother. Also, it felt good, real good. I hope that this isn't addictive, because I have an addictive personality.
It seems like you are trying to justify why you don't call technical fouls while making some back-handed remarks about those who do. I'm referring to the comment about your skin getting thicker. In the end, your game management was easier - sort of like you realized what other officials who call technical fouls realized.

Quote:
No, I only heard it once or twice, just never got a chance to answer his questions, by being close enough to him, after several "trips" up and down the court. I believe that he was questioning the competence of my calls rather than my integrity. I would of liked to respond to him, because both the calls he was referring to were actually very similar, except one involved no displacement, and the other involved displacement. Of course, he never gave me a chance to answer is questions, unless you consider my whack a response.
Like someone mentioned, this isn't part of coaching. Questioning an official's calls is simply that, questioning an official's calls. You can rationalize it all you want, but he did it and it should have been addressed.

It isn't really that big of a deal though. The good thing about a T is, if I'm around within half a court's length of a coach, maybe farther, I have no problem whacking him.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 04:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sell My Soul to the Devil, No Way José

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Making some back-handed remarks.
Back-handed? Sorry. Why should I have been so coy? Maybe I should have been more direct. I do not have a problem with officials who have a shorter fuse than me. None what so ever. They make our job easier when we go into the same gym a few nights later. I do have a problem with officials who allow coaches to get away with murder because they are afraid that they will not get enough votes to work state tournament games. I will be part of a crew that has to work in front of those coaches a few nights later, and now he thinks that he can get away with the same crap, so we have to pick up the pieces, with game management skills, with warnings, and, yes, with T's. On my off nights I will often go to games that my colleagues work. Some of them, not many, but a few, let coaches get away with things that I, with my very long fuse, would never get away with.

Slightly off topic. One night I guess that I showered a little quicker than normal. As I was getting out of the shower, I overheard my partner, in the outer office, practically begging the coach for a vote, "If you liked my work tonight, coach, then give me a vote for the tournament and you may see me there". I almost puked all over my bare feet. I know my limits. I know that I will probably never see a state tournament game. I also know that if I ever reach even close to that level, I will never kowtow to coaches to get tournament games. There are other reasons why I believe that I don't call a lot of T's, as outlined in my post above, which you are certainly free to agree, or disagree with, but one reason will never be to please a coach.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 04:40pm.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 04:31pm
Administrator

Quote:
My favorite:

Carnac: "UCLA"
Envelope: "What do you see when the smog lifts?"

When we lived in Glendale, CA, the answer was Glendale and Burbank from Bonnie's office on the 59th floor of the old First Interstate Building.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 06:50pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Back-handed? Sorry. Why should I have been so coy? Maybe I should have been more direct. I do not have a problem with officials who have a shorter fuse than me. None what so ever. They make our job easier when we go into the same gym a few nights later. I do have a problem with officials who allow coaches to get away with murder because they are afraid that they will not get enough votes to work state tournament games. I will be part of a crew that has to work in front of those coaches a few nights later, and now he thinks that he can get away with the same crap, so we have to pick up the pieces, with game management skills, with warnings, and, yes, with T's. On my off nights I will often go to games that my colleagues work. Some of them, not many, but a few, let coaches get away with things that I, with my very long fuse, would never get away with.

Slightly off topic. One night I guess that I showered a little quicker than normal. As I was getting out of the shower, I overheard my partner, in the outer office, practically begging the coach for a vote, "If you liked my work tonight, coach, then give me a vote for the tournament and you may see me there". I almost puked all over my bare feet. I know my limits. I know that I will probably never see a state tournament game. I also know that if I ever reach even close to that level, I will never kowtow to coaches to get tournament games. There are other reasons why I believe that I don't call a lot of T's, as outlined in my post above, which you are certainly free to agree, or disagree with, but one reason will never be to please a coach.
Pretty sad that morons like the 7 on 5 guy have the power to select officials for the tournament. Too bad officials in your state weren't able to choose the coaches.

Good job ringing him up.