The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

(5-4) "The referee shall forfeit the game if a team refuses to play after being instructed to do so by any official. The referee may also forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach...repeatedly commits...other acts which make a travesty of the game...."

Seems likely that face-guarding the official is making a travesty of the game, and leaving the court is certainly refusing to play. Forfeit is the no-brainer from my POV.

Being a North Carolina official myself for many years, a state association application was (not sure if it still is) that there had to be a school designated adult coach on the bench. IOW, if the coach and assistant(s) got ran, a parent was not allowed to assume coaching duties, nor was the student manager. This has not been mentioned in recent years, particularly as we have gone to the national test, but I'm guessing it will be front and center in next year's pre-season all-officials clinics.