The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
He should have ended the conversation right there and then T'd him up.
I really need to see the video, but from the sounds of it, he ended the conversation and then calmly walked over and called the T.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The first one could possibly have been avoided had the official changed his location or behavior.
And howinthehell do you know what behavior the official used, or what Huggins actually said to the official? Do you know if Huggins started the conversation with a question, didn't like the answer and then went off on the guy?

Nope, you don't know a damn thing about what really went on, but you're still adamant that it had to be the official's fault and not Huggins.

You ain't one of us, podner. That's for sure.

Sad.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:27pm
Administrator

In a perfect world, the second TF would be given by one of your partners, BUT there are times when the coach just does not cooperate.

I have had two head coach ejections where the TF's were rapid fire. The first was a HC in a women's college team and the second was the HC in a boys' H.S. varsity game. In both cases I had called a foul on one of their players and before I could report the foul, the HC came on the floor to complain, they both blew threw stop signs to get the first TF and kept coming while I was backing up after the first TF.

The women's college game was back in the days when we still used two-man crews and I was officiating with an official who was officiating his very first college game; he had only been officiating for six years and really had no business on a college game yet with regard to game management skills because he just froze when the coach came onto the court.

The boys' H.S. varsity game was a three-man crew and to be honest my partners dropped the ball, because the HC blew past my partner to get at me.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If we were actually working together and YOU were the official in the huddle I would have probably been nearby to show support.
The same way that you're supporting an official that called a "T" on a coach, and you're stating that the "T" was wrongly called BEFORE you even found out from your partner WHY the "T" was actually called?

No thanks, I'd rather work alone than have support like that.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And howinthehell do you know what behavior the official used, or what Huggins actually said to the official? Do you know if Huggins started the conversation with a question, didn't like the answer and then went off on the guy?

Nope, you don't know a damn thing about what really went on, but you're still adamant that it had to be the official's fault and not Huggins.

You ain't one of us, podner. That's for sure.

Sad.
Never said that it wasn't Huggy's fault. My point is that it is never a good idea to get into a huddle with a team. Of that I AM adamant. If the official gave an explaination, it would be obvious very quickly whether a coach likes it or not. At that point why not try to de- escalate the situation and walk away? Give a stop sign? What is wrong with that?
I watched the game, watched the video, and can judge how it looked, which is all I am doing. Have no idea what was said by either of them, never claimed I did.
And I am sorry I made you sad. I really am a pretty upbeat person. Even when wearing polyesther and be criticized by fans/coaches/announcers etc. Life is too short to be sad!
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Never said that it wasn't Huggy's fault. My point is that it is never a good idea to get into a huddle with a team. Of that I AM adamant. If the official gave an explaination, it would be obvious very quickly whether a coach likes it or not. At that point why not try to de- escalate the situation and walk away? Give a stop sign? What is wrong with that?
I watched the game, watched the video, and can judge how it looked, which is all I am doing. Have no idea what was said by either of them, never claimed I did.
And I am sorry I made you sad. I really am a pretty upbeat person. Even when wearing polyesther and be criticized by fans/coaches/announcers etc. Life is too short to be sad!
You claimed that the T wasn't deserved, without knowing what was said. You didn't just stop with, "It looked bad." You went to "I disagree that it was deserved." It's entirely possible it was a mistake, but we don't know what was said.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The same way that you're supporting an official that called a "T" on a coach, and you're stating that the "T" was wrongly called BEFORE you even found out from your partner WHY the "T" was actually called?

No thanks, I'd rather work alone than have support like that.
Gee willikers. I believe I clarified my position that it could have been handled better. I retracted the statement, and will do so again,that the "T" was not warranted. See if we were working a game together there would be a whole lot more information. In a game we would actually BE partners, while in this case we are only couch potatoes from across the continent. While not actually BEING at the game I am going to go out on a limb that the crew discussed this play after the game, and information was exchanged about what was said and they probably analyzed if there was anything they could have done different or better. Is that so wrong?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

WHat if Huggins said "Please give me a T after we're done talking to fire up my team... (and added an ******* or something in to make sure you complied )
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You claimed that the T wasn't deserved, without knowing what was said. You didn't just stop with, "It looked bad." You went to "I disagree that it was deserved." It's entirely possible it was a mistake, but we don't know what was said.
I stand corrected. I am not trying to make a case as to whether it was justified or not.
Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion that I no doubtedly have caused by miscommunicating in my typing I apologize for any confusion, increased blood pressure, foul language, or destroyed computer hardware that my mis communication has caused.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
WHat if Huggins said "Please give me a T after we're done talking to fire up my team... (and added an ******* or something in to make sure you complied )
I would have Gene Hackman flachbacks from Hoosiers and look to see in Dennis "Shooter" Hopper was on the bench?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
And I am sorry I made you sad.
Please don't misconstrue what I said. I'm not sad. I think that you...and people like you...are sad. And nothing that you've said so far has made me alter my thinking.

You ain't one of us, podner. We don't eat our own.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Uh Eh Uh Ah Ah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
They still may say something magical that earns them that 2nd 'T'.
Like Abracadabra, Alakazam, Hocus pocus, Presto chango, Sim Sala Bim, or Shazam?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure where I was "eating" anyone. I have modified my original position, which hopefully has made it more clear We don't know anything about each other yet you already have me labeled as someone who you would not work with and that people "like me" make you sad. Who is turning on whom?
As for not "being one of you" does that mean I don't get to sit with the cool kids at lunch?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Like Abracadabra, Alakazam, Hocus pocus, Presto chango, Sim Sala Bim, or Shazam?
"Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"
"Wow, I could have had a V8!" (Sounds like T!)
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not sure where I was "eating" anyone. I have modified my original position, which hopefully has made it more clear We don't know anything about each other yet you already have me labeled as someone who you would not work with and that people "like me" make you sad. Who is turning on whom?
As for not "being one of you" does that mean I don't get to sit with the cool kids at lunch?
Even though I do agree with the point of his post that you had no basis to disagree with the T that was called, that is no reason to assume you'd sell out a partner or not back them up. He just likes to dump on people for the fun of it. Just ignore him. Rather than trying to understand what you meant or to educate you, he has more fun ridiculing and belittling you....it is his way of making himself feel more important.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 07:22pm.