The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Bobby Huggins Ejection

Anyone see it? Would love to know what the thought process was behind the ejection. I have always been taught that if you T a coach it should NOT appear as though you egged the coach on. Also, if you are going to throw a coach the person who gave them their first T shouldn't be the one who throws the coach
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the situation, but, theoretically - I've been taught the same protocol for TFs and ejections. Administer the T, then get the heck away from the bench/scorer's table area.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:14am
In Memoriam

I saw it. I also don't know what was said and neither do you. So, claiming that Huggins was possibly egged-on is sheer conjecture on your part. You don't know what triggered either "T"..and neither do any of us. And if a coach wants to get thrown, it doesn't matter who throws him. You don't ignore crap to let a partner take care of bidness for you.

Huggins is one of the all-time greats when it comes to whining, moaning, b!tching and trying to intimidate officials. He has to be in the top 5 when it comes to scumbag coaches.

He got what he deserved.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I watched the ESPN highlights and they only showed the first T. Looked like Huggins said the wrong thing, the official walked away and called the T. After that all they showed was Huggins trying to get out of his huddle to go complain more and his assistants were restraining him. Evidently they didn't get the job done.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I watched the ESPN highlights and they only showed the first T. Looked like Huggins said the wrong thing, the official walked away and called the T. After that all they showed was Huggins trying to get out of his huddle to go complain more and his assistants were restraining him. Evidently they didn't get the job done.
He got his second T while his assistants were restraining him. He likely said some magic words because the calling official gave them both in a short time span.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I don't think whacking a coach then walking away is letting your partner "take care of your bidness". Walking away often helps diffuse the situation at the very least. There's no reason to linger within earshot of the coach. That's almost baiting.

edit: maybe this isn't how officials are trained to handle out of control coaches in the college ranks, though.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I don't think whacking a coach then walking away is letting your partner "take care of your bidness". Walking away often helps diffuse the situation at the very least. There's no reason to linger within earshot of the coach. That's almost baiting.
And do you know exactly what was said by Huggins while the official was trying to walk away?

Please share with the rest of us.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And do you know exactly what was said by Huggins while the official was trying to walk away?

Please share with the rest of us.
No, I'm not approaching the original post from that angle. I'm more interested in how we, as officials under NFHS rules, should handle a situation with a coach that has been given a T.

To that end, I'm not interested in the other side of the conversation that revolves around the emotion/words allegedly used by Huggins.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post

edit: maybe this isn't how officials are trained to handle out of control coaches in the college ranks, though.
You're taking a rule of thumb and turning it into a rule. Yeah, it's a good idea to call the T and move away, but I'm not going to the concession stand just so I can't hear the coach. And the first T is not a license to get stupid. Sometimes, the coaches just don't give you the option of doing everything the way it's recommended.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're taking a rule of thumb and turning it into a rule. Yeah, it's a good idea to call the T and move away, but I'm not going to the concession stand just so I can't hear the coach. And the first T is not a license to get stupid. Sometimes, the coaches just don't give you the option of doing everything the way it's recommended.
I wouldn't move away so I can't hear him either. It's a good idea to move away in an effort to alleviate the situation if at all possible, though. However, it's not foolproof. If ridiculous behavior continues on the part of the coach, the officiating crew can handle it accordingly. There are six eyes and ears on the court...subjectivity and backup by your partners makes any actions against the coach even more locktight and legit.

edit: Good point about "rule of thumb". I agree.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

I saw the sequence. The official actually walked to the table before calling the first technical foul -- in other words, Huggins had already earned it, but the official was getting out of there before whistling and signaling it.

After that Huggins went crazy and had to be restrained and screaming over his assistants. If I was that calling official and a coach did that, I would simply call the second one and get it over with. Why bother with a charade of making someone else come in and deal with it -- he's yelling at me, I'm going to make the call if it needs to be made.

Go Google "Huggins ejection" if you want to see this story at least once every season....it's nothing new and isn't really even a big story.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

and now it's time for Huggin's to attend his annual anger management seminar
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
and now it's time for Huggin's to attend his annual anger management seminar
If only he'd attend his retirement planning seminar....
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You are wise beyond your years. There's nothing the matter with giving a coach the last word when you're walking away, but that doesn't mean that those "last words" are a completely free shot. There's a big difference between complaining and abuse.

What I'm not going to do is second-guess a very competent official, especially when I have no idea what was actually said. And especially when it involves a serial ref-baiter like Huggins.

These D1 guys get direction from the Big East office. They know what they have to eat and what they don't have to take. The sureasheck aren't going to toss any coach unless they can justify the heck out of it in their post-game report.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I thought both of them were justified.

And the thoughts that Huggins was set-up or baited, I do not agree with.