The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Incredible comeback

Had a 6th grade boys rec game in my local kids league yesterday morning (one of four games I worked in the morning) and a team pulled off something I don't think I've ever seen before. In the first quarter, they scored only one point. They trailed 12-1. At halftime, the score was 26-4. I don't know what their coach said to them then, but when they came out for the second half, it was like the two teams had changed uniforms. They outscored the other team 38-8 in the second half and won the game 42-34!

Both coaches are Board members along with me. I'm sure we'll discuss this at our next Board meeting.

BTW - I worked the game with a HS kid who I trained. He's a senior now and does a really good job. Before the game, his dad (who came to watch him ref) came over to me with a camera and asked if he could have a picture of the two of us. I said OK. He then told me he was going to frame it along with a photo he took when his kid was playing in 3rd grade and I was reffing the game, so we were both in that picture, too. Just what I needed - another reason to feel old.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW - I worked the game with a HS kid who I trained. He's a senior now and does a really good job. Before the game, his dad (who came to watch him ref) came over to me with a camera and asked if he could have a picture of the two of us. I said OK. He then told me he was going to frame it along with a photo he took when his kid was playing in 3rd grade and I was reffing the game, so we were both in that picture, too.
Neat story. You should ask for a copy of each for yourself.

Quote:
Just what I needed - another reason to feel old.
I can relate. Happens to the best of us. Cherish the memories.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Just what I needed - another reason to feel old.
95 is the new 20 Mark!
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had a 6th grade boys rec game in my local kids league yesterday morning (one of four games I worked in the morning) and a team pulled off something I don't think I've ever seen before. In the first quarter, they scored only one point. They trailed 12-1. At halftime, the score was 26-4. I don't know what their coach said to them then, but when they came out for the second half, it was like the two teams had changed uniforms. They outscored the other team 38-8 in the second half and won the game 42-34!

Both coaches are Board members along with me. I'm sure we'll discuss this at our next Board meeting.

BTW - I worked the game with a HS kid who I trained. He's a senior now and does a really good job. Before the game, his dad (who came to watch him ref) came over to me with a camera and asked if he could have a picture of the two of us. I said OK. He then told me he was going to frame it along with a photo he took when his kid was playing in 3rd grade and I was reffing the game, so we were both in that picture, too. Just what I needed - another reason to feel old.
Must have been the basket or backboard... better check the basket or backboard on the half that either team was on when outscoring the other team.

I've seen it myself in rec games too. Had it once in a JV game 2 years ago. One team was up by 20 at halftime, losing team came back and won by one point. I told the AD that he'd better check that basket and backboard and he laughed and agreed with me.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I was though you were going to say you trained him and he did a really bad job.