The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Varsity Officials Pregame - What Do You Say?

When conducting a pregame with your partners how do you start it off?

Okay guys lets make sure we have good eye contact during dead balls, be aware of where your partners are......ect

Like to know how you begin, flow through, and end.

Thanks
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 11:51am
This IS My Social Life

Beat the DRUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
When conducting a pregame with your partners how do you start it off?
In response to the recent postings seeking advice for topics for a pregame, here's a possible minimal outline to follow. To this can be added other significant items you deem necessary. Others certainly may add items they consider especially important.

"DRUM" Pregame

...D, decorum, that is how to deal with sportsmanship issues if they arise, communication with coaches as necessary

...R, rules that you might want to discuss, NFHS points of emphasis, recent rules you blew or called correctly

...U, uniform issues, like improper headwear, t-shirts, etc.

...M, mechanics, that is positioning during live and dead ball, primary coverage areas, and communication of the crew and of the crew with the table, double whistle situations, rotations, last shot coverage

Also, do a search with the keyword "pregame" and you'll find tons of advice previously given on this topic.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:01pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Personal Preference

You can get as many answers to this question as there are members of this Forum. Some don't do much of anything, others keep it short and sweet, and some are very long and laborious.

Some may be dictated by level (V vs 6th grade Rec) or how often you have worked with your partner(s).

For me, at a formal F, JV, V game if I am the R, I have a fairly detailed Briefing/Checklist (which you can find with a little Search of the Forum - look for BillyMac as he posts it all the time).

I review New Rules, POE's and then a great deal of topics in sequential order starting at taking the court, captain's meeting, coach's meeting, communications, eye contact, T's, TYP, WYP, etc., etc. I would rather it last a bit longer (but not too long) and me highlight some key points than not do it at all and wish I had.

I could PM this to you if you're interested.

My $.02
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

For me:

1) Issues specific to the teams involved. Who has worked these teams this season; any trouble-makers; styles of play; either team press or trap; don't penalize the athletic team for outjumping opponents for rebounds; above the rim play possibilities; etc, etc.

2) Then discuss mechanics, double whistles, bringing in subs, getting shooters on fouls, identifying throw-in spots; POE's; crashes in the paint.

3) Lastly, equipment; 12-10-2 procedures
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I do my pregame in the order that things occur. So I start with what we'll look for when we hit the floor at 15:00, then talk about the tip, then go on from there. I do it that way so I don't forget anything. I find keeping it in order, rather than jumping from topic to topic, makes it easier for me to remember.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Pregames are going to be different depending on a bunch of factors:

Early season vs End of season

First meeting vs Second meeting between teams

Have you worked with your partners before
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 01:44pm
This IS My Social Life

NFHS PreGame

Here's a link to the NFHS pre-game that's on our association's web site:
http://www.fruitbeltofficials.org/bb_3.pdf
Might be dated.
If you're gonna run through each and every item listed, you'd better meet in the lockerroom at least two and a half hours before game time.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I like a good pre-game. That rarely happens for many reasons.

Good eye contact is the most important thing in my opinion. It saves a bunch of other problems.

Knowing your partners helps, having worked with them helps.

I have 1 partner that I work with about once a year. He is a slacker. He does poorly on the test and he comes in late. ( I asked him to be at the game 30 minutes before tip off ) BUT because I know this, the last game we had together, we got very good evaluations. Why? Because I knew his short comings and I help cover them. He calls out of his area, I let it go. He misses calls, I help cover for him. We move on. He even refused to shake the coaches hand before the game....what are you going to do? He was asked about it. Reflects on him , not me.

In the past I might have gotten upset about working with someone who can make you look bad, but if you know what they are going to do before they do it, you can work with them and no one will notice a problem.

Sometimes a coach will complain about one of his calls ( or mine ) and I cover saying, "Sorry coach, I didn't make that call, you'll have to ask him what he saw on the play, I was watching X play" ( post play, the guards, whatever elsewhere is )

The one complaint that we had was we got to the floor late. We covered that too. he arrived to the game 17 minutes before the game was to start. We are supposed to be on the floor at the 15 minute mark. We got there with 12 minutes remaining.

The evaluator asked why, II explained that we left the locker room with 16 minute on our clock, it was different than the game clock. Maybe a lie, but it saved me from lossing points on the eval.

Know your partner.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth (Matthew 7:8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Look for BillyMac as he posts it all the time
PREGAME CONFERENCE

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Frontcourt endline and nearer sideline. Post play. Illegal screens at elbows.

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Nearer sideline, division line, backcourt endline. Rebound coverage.
Drives starting in primary. Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending. Bring subs in.

Stay in your primary. It must be obvious to come out of your primary. Seldom should have four eyes on
the ball. If something is there that needs to be called, call it. We’re not going to have too many double
whistles if we are doing this right. Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds or where the foul is.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to
you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If you don't know, give me
a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you
saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

Be consistent with each other. Let’s try to remember what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we
haven’t called. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus. If we
know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to remember our shooter.
Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

On throwins, count five players each team, check the table, check the clock, good eye contact before putting
ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly. Check the clock every time it
should start to make sure it does so.

Game management: If I call a fifth foul on a player, I’ll tell the coach, unless I think it’s going to be a problem.
If either of us warns a coach, or the bench, let’s let each other know about it. If one of us calls a technical foul
on a coach, the noncalling official will remind the coach that he must sit down.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling timeouts and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes: That wouldn’t be consistent with
the way we’ve been calling the game. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t
already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. If the game dictates it, let the
players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be the ones who decide the game by ignoring
obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the
free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn't get hit harder
to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if
the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player, we should consider an
intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

On court at 15:00. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Players properly equipped,
Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges,
of the coaching box.

NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES:
During state championship series contests, game or replay officials are permitted to use a replay monitor to
determine when a try for goal at the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00
on the game clock) should be counted, and if so, determine if it is a two- or a three-point goal.
When a red light behind the backboard or an LED light on the backboard is present, it is permitted to signal
the expiration of time in the quarter/extra period. If no red/LED light is present, the audible timer’s
signal will continue to signal the expiration of time.
Clarified that the imaginary rectangle designates the area to be used for time-outs.
A note was added to clarify when the 20-second interval begins to replace an injured player.
Clarified that any item, in the referee’s judgment, that constitutes a safety concern is not permitted.
Clarified that a player leaves a marked lane space when he or she contacts any part of the court outside the
marked lane space (36 inches by 36 inches).
Clarified that a player occupying a marked lane space must have one foot positioned near the outer edge of
the free-throw lane line with the other foot positioned anywhere within the designated 36 inch lane space.

NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS:
1. Traveling
2. Closely guarded
3. Three-seconds
4. Block/Charge
5. Free-throw administration

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions. Officials will direct players
to free throw line area in front of respective benches.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur from 5 to 10 minutes prior to start of
game. If the head coach refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary or Commissioner, who will
notify the school Athletic Director and CIAC.

IAABO MECHANICS CHANGES
Verbalize “designated spot” for designated spot throwin on backcourt endline.
Always hand ball to player on frontcourt endline.
Keep hand away from face when reporting foul to table.
Switch on all fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 06:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I know if you do the prelim game, you will likely miss the varsity pre-game. But maybe you could ask your assignor about going to a game on an off night to see if you can sit in on a varsity pre-game. {and the halftime} Every one is different. Early season ones are different than mid-season ones and late season ones. But, you can at least hear what one sounds like in person, which is the best way to learn.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 06:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Every one is different. Early season ones are different than mid-season ones and late season ones.
Good point. New partner? Same partner from two weeks ago? Rookie partner? Partner who never pregames?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 06:37pm.