The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Designated Spot Throw-In Rules

Thanks to this forum and being just a wreck official for a year, I learned in 2003 that the designated spot was "three feet wide and as deep as the gym allows" and that the thrower-in may move any which way but loose, as long as he or she does not "leave the designated spot."

Last week, a wreck official and a player bet me $100 each that the rule demanded an "end of dribble, pivot-type restriction." We'll see if I ever see the $$, even after I show them Definition 4-42-6 and Rule 7-6-3 & 4.

Question: How long has this rule been in effect/has it ever changed? I learned as a kid in 1978ish that the pivot-type restriction was the rule. Was this rule in effect even back then, and my Jr High coach was wrong (golly, could a coach be wrong about the rulebook!?!?)
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 12:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Make sure and point specifically to the note on 4-42-6.

Your coach was wrong.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagomer View Post
Question: How long has this rule been in effect/has it ever changed? I learned as a kid in 1978ish that the pivot-type restriction was the rule. Was this rule in effect even back then, and my Jr High coach was wrong (golly, could a coach be wrong about the rulebook!?!?)
This rule was in place even before Naismith!
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you.

Yeah, the NOTE is pretty clear. If my coach was wrong, I'm rethinking some life choces I've made that relied on my respect for him. It may be time to stop wearing the shape-flattering Bike coaches' shorts . . .
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 03:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
This rule was in place even before Naismith!
No - he put it in during the second year on my recommendation.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
No - he put it in during the second year on my recommendation.

No fair. I was going to say what you two said.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagomer View Post
Thank you.

Yeah, the NOTE is pretty clear. If my coach was wrong, I'm rethinking some life choces I've made that relied on my respect for him. It may be time to stop wearing the shape-flattering Bike coaches' shorts . . .
That time came 15 years ago, my friend.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 05:46pm
Go Blue

Last game of the year, GJV, ending in a running clock. Not my best game. But there was a play, I administered the ball on the sideline, table side. The girl went to pass it down the sideline but stopped at the last moment. She took a huge step with her front foot, but the back foot stayed within the 3 foot section. So in a quiet gym, I heart from the stands, "She can't move like that!" There are times like that, that you just want to go over and slap someone silly. But at least I got a little chuckle out of it.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 07:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Looks Like Another Job For The Mythbusters ...

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:17pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post
Last game of the year, GJV, ending in a running clock. Not my best game. But there was a play, I administered the ball on the sideline, table side. The girl went to pass it down the sideline but stopped at the last moment. She took a huge step with her front foot, but the back foot stayed within the 3 foot section. So in a quiet gym, I heart from the stands, "She can't move like that!" There are times like that, that you just want to go over and slap someone silly. But at least I got a little chuckle out of it.
Bully for you!!!!

Next time let your conscience be your guide and cut loose. You'll feel much better about yourself and the idiot fan will get an abject lesson on both rules and proper comportment!
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:16am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin.
This Sunday, the opposing team had one specific player (4th-6th grade girls division) who would do a 180-degree turn so her back was to the court and then flip the ball backwards, blindly onto the court.

I wonder if the coach drew the play up that way.

I've also seen college players start off with their backs to the court (presumably to avoid telegraphing where they may pass the ball to) and then turn back around once they receive the ball.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball