The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Designated Spot Throw-In Rules (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57168-designated-spot-throw-rules.html)

imagomer Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:48am

Designated Spot Throw-In Rules

Thanks to this forum and being just a wreck official for a year, I learned in 2003 that the designated spot was "three feet wide and as deep as the gym allows" and that the thrower-in may move any which way but loose, as long as he or she does not "leave the designated spot."

Last week, a wreck official and a player bet me $100 each that the rule demanded an "end of dribble, pivot-type restriction." We'll see if I ever see the $$, even after I show them Definition 4-42-6 and Rule 7-6-3 & 4.

Question: How long has this rule been in effect/has it ever changed? I learned as a kid in 1978ish that the pivot-type restriction was the rule. Was this rule in effect even back then, and my Jr High coach was wrong (golly, could a coach be wrong about the rulebook!?!?)

Adam Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09pm

Make sure and point specifically to the note on 4-42-6.

Your coach was wrong. :)

Camron Rust Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagomer (Post 662172)
Question: How long has this rule been in effect/has it ever changed? I learned as a kid in 1978ish that the pivot-type restriction was the rule. Was this rule in effect even back then, and my Jr High coach was wrong (golly, could a coach be wrong about the rulebook!?!?)

This rule was in place even before Naismith!

imagomer Tue Feb 16, 2010 03:55pm

Thank you.

Yeah, the NOTE is pretty clear. If my coach was wrong, I'm rethinking some life choces I've made that relied on my respect for him. It may be time to stop wearing the shape-flattering Bike coaches' shorts . . .

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 16, 2010 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 662189)
This rule was in place even before Naismith!

No - he put it in during the second year on my recommendation. :p

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 16, 2010 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 662263)
No - he put it in during the second year on my recommendation. :p

No fair. I was going to say what you two said. :D

MTD, Sr.

Adam Tue Feb 16, 2010 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagomer (Post 662262)
Thank you.

Yeah, the NOTE is pretty clear. If my coach was wrong, I'm rethinking some life choces I've made that relied on my respect for him. It may be time to stop wearing the shape-flattering Bike coaches' shorts . . .

That time came 15 years ago, my friend. :)

Treeguy Tue Feb 16, 2010 05:46pm

Last game of the year, GJV, ending in a running clock. Not my best game. But there was a play, I administered the ball on the sideline, table side. The girl went to pass it down the sideline but stopped at the last moment. She took a huge step with her front foot, but the back foot stayed within the 3 foot section. So in a quiet gym, I heart from the stands, "She can't move like that!" There are times like that, that you just want to go over and slap someone silly. But at least I got a little chuckle out of it.

BillyMac Tue Feb 16, 2010 07:12pm

This Looks Like Another Job For The Mythbusters ...

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin.

justacoach Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treeguy (Post 662292)
Last game of the year, GJV, ending in a running clock. Not my best game. But there was a play, I administered the ball on the sideline, table side. The girl went to pass it down the sideline but stopped at the last moment. She took a huge step with her front foot, but the back foot stayed within the 3 foot section. So in a quiet gym, I heart from the stands, "She can't move like that!" There are times like that, that you just want to go over and slap someone silly. But at least I got a little chuckle out of it.

Bully for you!!!!

Next time let your conscience be your guide and cut loose. You'll feel much better about yourself and the idiot fan will get an abject lesson on both rules and proper comportment!:D

Stat-Man Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 662305)
A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin.

This Sunday, the opposing team had one specific player (4th-6th grade girls division) who would do a 180-degree turn so her back was to the court and then flip the ball backwards, blindly onto the court. :confused:

I wonder if the coach drew the play up that way. :p

I've also seen college players start off with their backs to the court (presumably to avoid telegraphing where they may pass the ball to) and then turn back around once they receive the ball.