The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 25, 2002, 08:41am
Jerry Blum

Question cam up in Jr High game last night, ball goes out of bounds near the corner and the ball is given to the offensive team. The ball went out on the sideline near the cornerand we administered the throw-in down very close to the corner. My question is, Is this the correct spot for the throw-in?

Reason I am questioning this is that the coach had gone to a rules interpretation meeting and thought they said that in this situation the throw-in spot should be Free throw line extended.

Thanks.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2002, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Unhappy

That coach never went to any rules interpretation meeting. And even if he went to one, they didn't say anything about the free throw line extended. The "free throw line extented" rule applies to fouls and floor violations in the NBA. And even in the NBA, it doesn't apply to a ball going OOB.

You did it just right. You can disregard 99.999% of what coaches say about the rules (except for the coaches that post on this website).

Chuck
Old Fri Oct 25, 2002, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
Question cam up in Jr High game last night, ball goes out of bounds near the corner and the ball is given to the offensive team. The ball went out on the sideline near the cornerand we administered the throw-in down very close to the corner. My question is, Is this the correct spot for the throw-in?

Reason I am questioning this is that the coach had gone to a rules interpretation meeting and thought they said that in this situation the throw-in spot should be Free throw line extended.

Thanks.

My take on this is go to the Point of Interruption. In an out of bounds sitch, that would be the spot the ball went out of bounds. In a violation or foul sitch, its the spot nearest the foul or violation. In that case you get a little more flexibility in the corners in my opinion.

The camps and classes I have taken have drilled into us...

"POINT OF INTERRUPTION"

Larks
VIT
Old Fri Oct 25, 2002, 09:05am
Jerry Blum

The "Point of Interuption" was exactly what I have always had drilled into my head, but since I have yet to attend the rules meeting this year I haven't heard the discussion that he said they had about this. Thanks for your help.

Old Fri Oct 25, 2002, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Officals Manual--page 65. A good way to memorize the correct throw-in spot is:::corner to corner plus the semi-circle. That means the free throw line corner to the corner of the court and the free throw semi-cirlce.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Four fouls and violations yes, this sitch is someone going OOB.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
That coach never went to any rules interpretation meeting. And even if he went to one, they didn't say anything about the free throw line extended. The "free throw line extented" rule applies to fouls and floor violations in the NBA. And even in the NBA, it doesn't apply to a ball going OOB.

This freethrow line extended stuff sounds like when the
L can bounce the ball to the player on sideline OOB in
2 man mechanics. The coach might have got himself
confused by a mechanics discussion? Or maybe he was just confused about everything...

Quote:

You did it just right. You can disregard 99.999% of what coaches say about the rules (except for the coaches that post on this website).

Chuck
Yeah, what he said! And the coaches that post here you can
disregard 99.999972% of the time!