The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Someone correct me if am wrong please...
A1 is throwing in from a designated spot. He moves his feet (shuffles, jumps...) but has one foot with in the 3 foot area of the throw in.
This IS NOT A violation, CORRECT? I have seen a couple of varsity officials blow this call. One was in a State tourney game last year!
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Art N
Someone correct me if am wrong please...
A1 is throwing in from a designated spot. He moves his feet (shuffles, jumps...) but has one foot with in the 3 foot area of the throw in.
This IS NOT A violation, CORRECT? I have seen a couple of varsity officials blow this call. One was in a State tourney game last year!
Correct. No violation.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
As long as the thrower keeps one foot over the spot, no violation. He/she is also allowed to go back as far as the gym allows. All the way to the wall, if they choose.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Now i have a query...

Is there a limit to the distance that a player can go back?

What if you were working on a court that had 20 or more feet of room on the baseline. I don't know why any player would do this, however i've always wonder..

My best guess is that if there arn't any walls the restriction would be the edge of the court? Usally about six feet off the baseline?

Are there any big time officials that have worked tournaments in university or college gyms what are the guildlines if any.

thanks

SH
keep smiling
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Hoopsref: as bigdave indicated there is no limit how far one can backup, but for the life of me I don't know why any one would go more than a step or two, unless he/she thinks they are going to confuse the defense. But they only have 5 seconds to throw it in.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 10:59am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
As long as the thrower keeps one foot over the spot, no violation. He/she is also allowed to go back as far as the gym allows. All the way to the wall, if they choose.
And on the floor.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Mick, do I understand you correctly in your last post to this question that they have to stay on the playing floor, but can go back as far as they want from the designated spot for OOB? I am just trying to understand this as well. Thanks!
Matt
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 07:39pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by MattRef
Mick, do I understand you correctly in your last post to this question that they have to stay on the playing floor, but can go back as far as they want from the designated spot for OOB? I am just trying to understand this as well. Thanks!
Matt
Matt,
Yes, that is what I meant to say.
I suppose in some places, with multiple courts in use, there could be some varying "court rules".
mick
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

And on the floor. [/B][/QUOTE]

Mick, You don't mean the thrower has to keep a foot on the floor, do you? I beleive they can jump and throw if needed. That may also be a reason to back a ways if you a tall defender on the throw in.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Art,

mick means that the thrower can't stand on the bleachers or any other type of structure. He must remain on the floor.

Tony
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 09:13pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up I'm sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by Art N

And on the floor.
Mick, You don't mean the thrower has to keep a foot on the floor, do you? I beleive they can jump and throw if needed. That may also be a reason to back a ways if you a tall defender on the throw in. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes Art, I did, by golly, say on the floor.
I should have said on, or over, the floor. The point I tried to make, and obviously kicked, was that as long as there is unobstructed floor, no bleachers, chairs ladders, walls, fire trucks, the thrower could go back to that area.
Sorry. Thanks.
mick
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 09:17pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up on

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Turn your AIM on mick!
yup
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Question Rule Book citing

Can someone point me to the rule(s) that cover this. I have two questions about it: (1) What is the proper call and signal for a violation of the spot throw in? (2) What constitutes a violation of the throw in spot?

I guess I don't understand the 3 feet rule for NFHS.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Rule Book citing

Quote:
Originally posted by parkssa
Can someone point me to the rule(s) that cover this. I have two questions about it: (1) What is the proper call and signal for a violation of the spot throw in? (2) What constitutes a violation of the throw in spot?

I guess I don't understand the 3 feet rule for NFHS.
(1) Raise hand - Whistle - Point to the spot - Verbalize if you wish.
(2) If the player moves off the 3 foot wide spot prior to releasing the ball.

7-6-2
The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

A1 is out of bounds for a designated-spot throw-in. The administering official has designated the spot and put the ball at A1's disposal. In order to avoid some of the defensive pressure near the throw-in spot, A1 takes several steps directly backward, but keeps one foot on or over the designated area prior to releasing the ball on a throw-in pass.

Ruling: Legal throw-in. It is permissible for the thrower to move backward or forward within the 3-foot-wide designated area without violating and he/she may move laterally if at least one foot is kept on or over the designated area until the ball is released. The thrower may also jump vertically and pass from the designated throw-in spot.

Comment: Pivot-foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in. The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2001, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks BktBallRef. Y'all are a great help to a newer official.