The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:39pm
Livin' The Dream

Commisioner Assaulted after 6th Grade Game....

Burnsville youth basketball commissioner attacked at end of OT game | StarTribune.com

at least he was arrested.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Karma...

"A 48-year-old man from Minneapolis was subdued after being kicked in the groin by one man"

Sometimes, a kick to the nuts is justified.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

6th grade basketball. serious business!
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1ns View Post
Hard to believe, but the knucklehead's complaint was about ROP procedure.
"Shand, speaking Monday morning before heading to the dentist, said the dad was angry because the referee started the game while his son's team was slow in making a substitution."
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

That one really riles up fans of the "victimized" team.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That one really riles up fans of the "victimized" team.
ROP after a sub? Interesting.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

Not necessarily a sub...guess I misread that one. The ROP in general. I had one game where coming out of timeout the inbounding team was ready to go but the defense was very slow in coming out of the huddle. After three whistles and plenty of verbal encouragement, I finally gave the ball to the inbounding team and let them take it in. Evidently there was one father of the "victimized" team that was so enraged he wanted to have a word with me in the parking lot after the game. Fortunately the Sheriff's deputy on duty at the time didn't let him get that far.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Not necessarily a sub...guess I misread that one. The ROP in general. I had one game where coming out of timeout the inbounding team was ready to go but the defense was very slow in coming out of the huddle. After three whistles and plenty of verbal encouragement, I finally gave the ball to the inbounding team and let them take it in. Evidently there was one father of the "victimized" team that was so enraged he wanted to have a word with me in the parking lot after the game. Fortunately the Sheriff's deputy on duty at the time didn't let him get that far.
Unreal. I've put the ball down once this year; and all the crowd did was say, "He's counting!"

I posted this already, but there was a local game this year where the officials gave the ball to the thrower before the defense was out (after multiple warnings). As the offense was scoring, the defense ran out of the huddle with 7 players.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
ROP after a sub? Interesting.

7-5-1 and 8-1-2 (Team technical foul 10-1-5 B) states ROP used after timeouts and intermissions.

Technical in OP for 10-5-3 for not replacing a disqualified or injured player within the time allowed?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post

7-5-1 and 8-1-2 (Team technical foul 10-1-5 B) states ROP used after timeouts and intermissions.

Technical in OP for 10-5-3 for not replacing a disqualified or injured player within the time allowed?
They clarified a couple of years ago that the ROP could be used anytime a thrower is not provided. I could see a situation where a sub comes in, and the players all stand around not knowing who should throw it in; especially if the throw in is in the backcourt and all 5 are subbed out. Case 7.5.1C.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
They clarified a couple of years ago that the ROP could be used anytime a thrower is not provided. I could see a situation where a sub comes in, and the players all stand around not knowing who should throw it in; especially if the throw in is in the backcourt and all 5 are subbed out. Case 7.5.1C.
Tangent. How long will you wait to give the ball to either a player attempting free throwers or a throw-in? I often see multiple subs coming in.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Tangent. How long will you wait to give the ball to either a player attempting free throwers or a throw-in? I often see multiple subs coming in.
During subs? I don't normally have to wait long. If it's a gaggle coming in, I'll give them an extra few seconds to get oriented. I've never had to put the ball down, but I will give the thrower the ball just as the defenders are getting into place.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone else think this was the second part of this thread League Commissioner is All Up In Our Grill that the OP was leaving out?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Instant classic quote from the league commissioner:

Shand noted that while his program does background checks on coaches, officials and others, "the only people we can't do background checks on are the parents."
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
Did anyone else think this was the second part of this thread League Commissioner is All Up In Our Grill that the OP was leaving out?
Haha...no I promise it wasn't me. I'm in Illinois anyway