The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been assaulted at a game?
Yes, someone actually struck me while I was working or immediately after. 4 11.76%
Yes, someone took a swing at me at a game. 2 5.88%
No, but I have been threatened with violence at a game. 15 44.12%
No. 14 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Have you ever been assaulted at a game?

I have been swung and threatened at two different basketball games. In light of the Delmond Young incident and the recent story of the umpire in Tennessee who a coach assaulted, I figured I'd ask who has had this experience at games.

Strikes and outs!
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

i got bumped once as part of the most heated argument ive been in, but thats the "worst" ive had. no violence or threats of violence, but im still young so theres plenty of time to work myself into those situations haha.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I got shoved by a coach after an ejection in a summer college wood-bat league game last summer
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Last game of a season, blowout score, top of 7- strike one called, batter argues. Strike two called, batter threatens. Batter ejected, cold-cocks me in the jaw, then jumps me knocking me to the ground and continues to wail on me.
Catcher had to haul him off of me with some kind of hammer-lock, and even then he kicked me over and over (SOB tore my plate coat!). Both benches empty to help me- coaches called the game.

Trainers took me to the dressing room, diagnosed the dislocated jaw, and cleaned up the cuts- nothing serious.

Had to go to hospital, swore out a warrant, etc.

Worst part was my partner- watched it happen from rightfield- "What was I supposed to do?"

Ancient history now.

Bainer.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

My partner has been bumped before in a game, and i've also been chased after a game by parents (but they were going more for my partner - different game and person).

Bainer - i know your partner isn't supposed to get involved in fights, but in your case i'd throw the "code of conduct" out the door. He should have helped.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Nah, I'll do you one better. Years ago, I was working a summer league (adult pro wannabes) and one of the guys comes out to the parking lot and starts mixing it up with the three of us. He starts commenting about how we are just a bunch of pussies hiding behind blue shirts. (The light blue elbeco button downs back then.). One of my partners tells 'roid boy to take a hike and the bonehead grabs him by the shirt. Wrong move - this partner taught Jiu Jitsu at his own school. RoidBoy went down in a heap and his team mates saw it all.

I also had a dad push me while I was removing my shin guards in the parking lot. His kid's team lost the high school playoff game and this gene pool decided that it was our fault that they lost by nine runs. His car was parked next to mine and he needed to gain entry by moving me from directly behind my trunk. I always keep my cell in the trunk and picked it up, held it aloft and asked him to do it again. My partner was standing there and reminded the guy that assaulting a uniformed official is more than simple assault. The guy gets up and spits our way. His wife grabs him and takes him back to the car - chewing on his ear the whole time. I would have loved to hear that conversation. Living vicariously and acting like a spoiled teenager; some people shouldn't have kids. IT's too bad he didn't take a swing at me...I could have used a new car.

By the way, never get in a physical fight when you are umpiring. Our legal system will protect us and it seems like everyone has a camcorder. Even if you can hand the guy his teeth, take the punch and the lawsuit.

Last edited by WhatWuzThatBlue; Fri May 26, 2006 at 07:21pm.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

While I have never been assaulted as an official, I have witnessed a couple of very uncomfortable situations. The first was when my partner was chased to his car by an irate player who felt he was done wrong on an out call at the plate to end the game. He (the player) was reported and suspended for the remainder of the season. This was in men's fast pitch softball about twenty years ago. I was the plate umpire in a situation which can only be described as a "church league softball fistfight." I stood with my back to the backstop and watched as both teams duked it out. What would Jesus do? Lord, he wouldn't do that! Like the high hard one on the oh and two. After reports were written and submitted, I heard that both teams were ejected from the league and some players were suspended for life. I do remember one player laying on the ground and being kicked in the head. No one came near me but I had my mask in my right hand and would not have hesitated to use it. It truly was a horrible night.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Ah....for the love of the game!!! I have been threatened with bodily harm, chased in the parking lot and spit on.

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes1950
While I have never been assaulted as an official, I have witnessed a couple of very uncomfortable situations. The first was when my partner was chased to his car by an irate player who felt he was done wrong on an out call at the plate to end the game. He (the player) was reported and suspended for the remainder of the season. This was in men's fast pitch softball about twenty years ago. I was the plate umpire in a situation which can only be described as a "church league softball fistfight." I stood with my back to the backstop and watched as both teams duked it out. What would Jesus do? Lord, he wouldn't do that! Like the high hard one on the oh and two. After reports were written and submitted, I heard that both teams were ejected from the league and some players were suspended for life. I do remember one player laying on the ground and being kicked in the head. No one came near me but I had my mask in my right hand and would not have hesitated to use it. It truly was a horrible night.

Every year my association helps out a local fire dept. with a charity 16" softball tournament for local fire departments. We get 20-25 umps a year to donate their time and get free beer and food. I had the dish in an elimination game later in the day. their was a runner on second. there was a grounder to short that was bobbled, the guy on 2nd decided he was trying to score on the play. the ball beat him by 15 feet. The runner lowered his shoulder and took out the catcher (remember no gear!) a fight ensused and the guy was pummelled. My partner and I escaped out the other dugout. Both teams were kicked out of the tournament.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 11:54pm

Former major leaguer Eddie Williams threatened to kick my a$$ after the game when I called him out on strikes in a NABA game. I ejected him for that. After the game, I'm getting undressed at my car, and he comes driving up in his new white Porsche, gets out, and comes up to me and apologizes for his actions. We stood there talking and got some good laughs about stuff that happens in the heat of battle.

Later that season, Williams was signed by the Padres and had a fairly productive stint with the big club.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
ajjl22,

"The runner lowered his shoulder and took out the catcher (remember no gear!) a fight ensused and the guy was pummelled."

I see you live in the greater Chicagoland area.

I don't suppose this game was between a North Side fire department team and a South Side fire department team, by any chance?

JM
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
From what Steve said, the guy wasn't a big leaguer at that time. Notice he said " Later that season, Williams was signed by the Padres and had a fairly productive stint with the big club. "
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 12:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
No player with big league experience is allowed to play in NABA until they have been officially retired from playing for five years. This is done so teams will not load up with ex-pro ball players when they got to Phoenix.
He played in the NABA league prior to being called up by the Padres. At the time he was a former AAA player who didn't get a shot until "discovered" playing in the NABA league.

I have umpired many former big leaguers in the NABA league after their careers had been over for quite some time. But Williams was on his way up, not down.
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Good question. Steve?
Old Sat May 27, 2006, 12:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
What year would that be?
You know, I'm not sure. Somewhere in the mid-90's. I don't keep a journal, just going by faulty memory. I could look up Eddie Williams' career stats and find out, as it was the same year as his first as a Padre.