The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Commisioner Assaulted after 6th Grade Game.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57144-commisioner-assaulted-after-6th-grade-game.html)

tw1ns Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:39pm

Commisioner Assaulted after 6th Grade Game....

Burnsville youth basketball commissioner attacked at end of OT game | StarTribune.com

at least he was arrested.

bas2456 Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:50pm

Karma...

"A 48-year-old man from Minneapolis was subdued after being kicked in the groin by one man"

Sometimes, a kick to the nuts is justified.

SAJ Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53pm

6th grade basketball. serious business!

dsqrddgd909 Mon Feb 15, 2010 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw1ns (Post 661883)

Hard to believe, but the knucklehead's complaint was about ROP procedure.
"Shand, speaking Monday morning before heading to the dentist, said the dad was angry because the referee started the game while his son's team was slow in making a substitution."

Welpe Mon Feb 15, 2010 01:25pm

That one really riles up fans of the "victimized" team.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2010 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661921)
That one really riles up fans of the "victimized" team.

ROP after a sub? Interesting.

Welpe Mon Feb 15, 2010 01:42pm

Not necessarily a sub...guess I misread that one. The ROP in general. I had one game where coming out of timeout the inbounding team was ready to go but the defense was very slow in coming out of the huddle. After three whistles and plenty of verbal encouragement, I finally gave the ball to the inbounding team and let them take it in. Evidently there was one father of the "victimized" team that was so enraged he wanted to have a word with me in the parking lot after the game. Fortunately the Sheriff's deputy on duty at the time didn't let him get that far.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2010 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 661936)
Not necessarily a sub...guess I misread that one. The ROP in general. I had one game where coming out of timeout the inbounding team was ready to go but the defense was very slow in coming out of the huddle. After three whistles and plenty of verbal encouragement, I finally gave the ball to the inbounding team and let them take it in. Evidently there was one father of the "victimized" team that was so enraged he wanted to have a word with me in the parking lot after the game. Fortunately the Sheriff's deputy on duty at the time didn't let him get that far.

Unreal. I've put the ball down once this year; and all the crowd did was say, "He's counting!"

I posted this already, but there was a local game this year where the officials gave the ball to the thrower before the defense was out (after multiple warnings). As the offense was scoring, the defense ran out of the huddle with 7 players.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Feb 15, 2010 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661928)
ROP after a sub? Interesting.

<rookie scurrying to rule book>:confused:
7-5-1 and 8-1-2 (Team technical foul 10-1-5 B) states ROP used after timeouts and intermissions.

Technical in OP for 10-5-3 for not replacing a disqualified or injured player within the time allowed?

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2010 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 661946)
<rookie scurrying to rule book>:confused:
7-5-1 and 8-1-2 (Team technical foul 10-1-5 B) states ROP used after timeouts and intermissions.

Technical in OP for 10-5-3 for not replacing a disqualified or injured player within the time allowed?

They clarified a couple of years ago that the ROP could be used anytime a thrower is not provided. I could see a situation where a sub comes in, and the players all stand around not knowing who should throw it in; especially if the throw in is in the backcourt and all 5 are subbed out. Case 7.5.1C.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Feb 15, 2010 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 661955)
They clarified a couple of years ago that the ROP could be used anytime a thrower is not provided. I could see a situation where a sub comes in, and the players all stand around not knowing who should throw it in; especially if the throw in is in the backcourt and all 5 are subbed out. Case 7.5.1C.

Tangent. How long will you wait to give the ball to either a player attempting free throwers or a throw-in? I often see multiple subs coming in.

Adam Mon Feb 15, 2010 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 661958)
Tangent. How long will you wait to give the ball to either a player attempting free throwers or a throw-in? I often see multiple subs coming in.

During subs? I don't normally have to wait long. If it's a gaggle coming in, I'll give them an extra few seconds to get oriented. I've never had to put the ball down, but I will give the thrower the ball just as the defenders are getting into place.

bradfordwilkins Mon Feb 15, 2010 04:42pm

Did anyone else think this was the second part of this thread League Commissioner is All Up In Our Grill that the OP was leaving out? :rolleyes:

DLH17 Mon Feb 15, 2010 04:51pm

Instant classic quote from the league commissioner:

Shand noted that while his program does background checks on coaches, officials and others, "the only people we can't do background checks on are the parents."

bas2456 Mon Feb 15, 2010 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 662015)
Did anyone else think this was the second part of this thread League Commissioner is All Up In Our Grill that the OP was leaving out? :rolleyes:

Haha...no I promise it wasn't me. I'm in Illinois anyway:D