The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

10 Second Count

I was wondering how other officials handle the ten count when there is pressure after a rebound. I find myself watching closely after a rebound when the rebounder is being defended closely to make sure there is no contact and after a pivot or two when the rebounder starts to dribble or pass I wonder if my count should be at 2 because I was concentrating on contact and not starting my arm swing count immediately after the rebounder had possesion. Is it important that you visually show every second you count??
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
I was wondering how other officials handle the ten count when there is pressure after a rebound. I find myself watching closely after a rebound when the rebounder is being defended closely to make sure there is no contact and after a pivot or two when the rebounder starts to dribble or pass I wonder if my count should be at 2 because I was concentrating on contact and not starting my arm swing count immediately after the rebounder had possesion. Is it important that you visually show every second you count??
Start your count right away. You'll get used to it. It's not much different than doing a five second count when they are closely guarded in the front court.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
You shouldn't "make up" a count just because you didn't start counting right away. If someone is watching you when you start your count at 2 or 3 and you only swing your arm 8 times before calling the 10-seconds violation, that "someone" is going to think you either can't count or don't know the rule.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Start your count right away. You'll get used to it. It's not much different than doing a five second count when they are closely guarded in the front court.
I agree. It takes time. I had trouble with this too. As you get better, "multitasking" gets easier.