Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I meant a try for a basket.

As for the defense hitting the ball, if a player shoots the ball outside the 3-point line and a defensive player tips the ball, last jumping from inside the line, it still counts as 3.

Wouldn't the same apply if it's a try at basket, comes short and bounces off of an opponent's head, shoulder, or whatever and goes in.
Think about it this way for a second:
A1 releases a try from outside the arc. It bounces off the rim and the rebound hits B1's head and goes in the basket. What's your call?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Think about it this way for a second:
A1 releases a try from outside the arc. It bounces off the rim and the rebound hits B1's head and goes in the basket. What's your call?
When you put it that way, it makes sense. I got a little confused about it. Thanks Snaqs.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
When you put it that way, it makes sense. I got a little confused about it. Thanks Snaqs.
Sometimes it helps to think of a common play for which the same rules apply. We've all seen, at some point, a defender tip a rebound in with his hands.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

Never seen this in 15 years.

I was watching a BV game which went to OT. Thankfully, I wasn't officiating it!

The ball was tossed and tapped into open space. One of the two opposing players going for it fouled the other. The offended team was in the bonus. The table crew sounded the horn and asked the officials which way to point to the AP arrow. While I have known the rule covering this situation for years, I've never seen it come into play.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Most Unusual Play

For me, A Boys Varstity contest.

Visiting Team (team B) is taking ball out of bounds on Home Team (team A) baseline nearest team B bench sideline. Team A defender "toes" the out of bounds line with hands up. This kid is about 6'5" so he's got a wingspan as well. Full court press is on by team A.

Team B thrower is handed the ball. He takes the ball, reaches through the plane and rolls the ball up the defender's chest and back down again!

My Partner blows his whistle, delays with a look of "I ain't never seen nothin' like that" and points in favor of team A!

I've Never seen anything like it. Team A defender "could" have taken the ball, two dribbles along the baseline and a score... but he just stood their with his hands up!

Strange.......
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 08:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallender View Post

Visiting Team (team B) is taking ball out of bounds on Home Team (team A) baseline nearest team B bench sideline. Team A defender "toes" the out of bounds line with hands up. This kid is about 6'5" so he's got a wingspan as well. Full court press is on by team A.

Team B thrower is handed the ball. He takes the ball, reaches through the plane and rolls the ball up the defender's chest and back down again!

My Partner blows his whistle, delays with a look of "I ain't never seen nothin' like that" and points in favor of team A!

I've Never seen anything like it. Team A defender "could" have taken the ball, two dribbles along the baseline and a score... but he just stood their with his hands up!

Strange.......
WTH did your partner call?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallender View Post

Strange.......
I'm still trying to envision exactly what happened. Did he 'roll' it up and down his torso while still holding the ball? Let go of the ball and then take it back?

Hmmm...
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Inbounds Play

Strangest thing I had this season: A1 inbounding under their own basket. Defender B1 on the ball has his back to the thrower-in trying to clog the middle. A1 throws the ball off B1's back, steps inbounds and makes a lay-up. Not so strange, right? Smart play by A1. Seen it before. The strange part: he did it two more times in the same game, all for lay-ups. Defense never changed. Duh!
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Last night - watching BJV prior to our varsity game. Team A behind by 18 late in 2nd quarter. Coach team A puts in his bottom 5 at 1:30 mark. One player A7 is obviously mildly to moderately mentally retarded. Player guarding him giving him lots of room. Not as mean gesture - but is allowing him to catch a ball and make a pass.

A7 gets ball at elbow and B7 backs off him to allow him to shoot. He shoots ball hits rim and comes right back to him. At this point B6 steps in and pressures him - right in his grill. B7 grabs B6 pulls him off A7 and then shoves him to the side. A7 shoots and makes bucket and place goes NUTS! Great moment right?

We go in and change and do pre-game and head out near court. Dressing room is a LONG way away so we generally dress and then wait in a private area where we can look through some glass at the court. Much to our surprise the 18 point defecit has been erased.

Team A comes back and in last 12 seconds ties game. Team B violation on inbound, Team A scores with 1.7 left and wins game by 2 pts. As JV officials running off court, we watch B6 knock B7 down and smack him in face. Coaches trying to pull them apart. Team B coach dressing down B6 saying he doesn't care about the loss - "it was still a classy move on his (B7's) part. It's not always about winning!"

Best moment of my season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!